The New Brand Extensions of
Vogel Business Meiden GmbH & Co. KG
Chances and Risks
Brands have always been important,
particularly in the consumer goods industry,
and they are becoming increasingly so.
The 21st century will be a century of brands.
What exactly is a brand?
A – That thing they burn into cows
B – A logo or a trademark
C – A jingle or a slogan
A – That thing they burn into cows
Branding is …
• about differentiation
• about getting your targets to choose
you over your competition
Good brands have three basic
• efficient information!
• non-material benefit!
• risk reduction!
• provide significant added value,
• represent some of a company’s most
• play a crucial role in a company’s
success on the market.
On the domestic market a
strong brand enhances
(through line extensions and/or brand
• growth and expansion
• gain of market shares
gain of market power
Will a successful brand on the domestic
market continue to be so at an international
and/or multinational level?
Globalisation of the markets
• opens up a whole range of opportunities
• is an interesting option for many
companies to act
• will be mandatory for many small and
medium-sized companies in the future
What does this development
mean for specialist publishing
• we depend on the advertisement
• our industry customers are going abroad
We must decide, which products we
want to/can offer at which prices and in
The marketing budgets end up going abroad
with production and sales.
In the relevant sectors up to 60 % has
already gone, and in some cases even
International Activities of
German B2B Publishers
40 26,8 %
Total international Joint Ventures Subsidiaries
Source: Deutsche Fachpresse
Development and production on the spot with local
specialists and in the respective national language
substantial, high risk financial commitments
If we follow the customers into foreign markets a
strong brand has good chances
nevertheless, risk of market erosion
Vogel Media Group
• Established in 1891 by Carl Gustav Vogel in
• The company’s head office has been in
Würzburg since 1952
• The core of its business are the specialist
media activities of Vogel Business Media
• A joint venture with Hubert Burda Media
Holding (50 %) in the field of computer media
• We employ some 2,100 people worldwide
• Our international network puts out a total of
over 100 publications
• The sales of the Vogel Media Group total
some 400 million Euros
• The three prominent areas of our business:
- Computer & Communications
• We focus on Eastern Europe and the
emerging markets in Asia
Circulation: appr. 50,000 weekly Price: € 4.50
The Key to Success
Editorial competence in the market for the market:
• Collaboration with highly qualified partners
• Act locally: Local titles with editorial
independence -> market orientation!
(Individual character of markets)
• International coordination office Würzburg:
The share of “German” articles is determined
by the respective national editorial offices.
• The international publishing business
accounts for some 27 % of our sales,
• in the case of MM MaschinenMarkt for
appr. 10 % of our advertisement
business turnover in Germany.
“MM Industrial Magazines:
The right support for industry”
1. The competence and tradition of the MM brand
2. Local editorial offices
3. A worldwide, coordinated network of editorial
4. The premium quality of the specialist journal and
5. Excellent proximity to customers and target group
6. One-stop service
Brands are essential stabilising factors
in the globalisation process.