The Seven Spiritual Laws of Yoga 200-Hour Syllabus
To qualify for the Seven Spiritual Laws of Yoga Teacher Training, the following steps
must be completed:
1. Enroll, complete, sign, and submit the application forms. A one page essay on
why you would like to become a Seven Spiritual Laws of Yoga instructor must
accompany the application.
2. Daily practice (two times a day) of Primordial Sound Meditation technique
learned in your community or at a Chopra Center event.
3. Daily practice of yoga.
4. Complete the Seduction of Spirit or Seduction of Silence meditation retreat, as a
participant. The Seduction of Spirit or Seduction of Silence meditation retreat
must be completed before attending Part A of the Seven Spiritual Laws of Yoga
5. Complete the Journey into Healing workshop, as a participant. The Journey into
Healing workshop may be completed up to 18 months after Part B of scheduled
6. Complete the Primordial Sound Meditation Home Study process. The Home
Study Kit will be shipped to you after the required paperwork has been received
and the participant has enrolled in the Seduction of Spirit/Seduction of Silence
meditation retreat and the Journey into Healing workshop.
7. Complete a telephone interview with Chopra Center staff.
8. Pass the at-home, online, open book pre-tests. These tests must be completed
and passed three weeks before the start of the scheduled Seven Spiritual Laws
of Yoga Teacher Training.
9. Complete a local CPR program and supply a copy of the certificate.
10. Participate in required Teachers' Path conferences by phone or web in
preparation for the Seven Spiritual Laws of Yoga Teacher Training.
11. Participants have 18 months after acceptance to the program to complete the
Seven Spiritual Laws of Yoga Teacher Training.
12. In order to maintain your certification, you are required to attend the Seduction of
Spirit or Seduction of Silence meditation retreat once every two years. Discounts
The Seven Spiritual Laws of Yoga 200-Hour Teacher Training has three phases:
PHASE I READING MATERIALS
PHASE II PRE-TEST AND CONFERENCES
PHASE III TEACHER TRAINING
PHASE ONE - READING MATERIALS
The content in the Home Study Kit is the style and substance of the Seven Spiritual
Laws of Yoga 200-Hour Teacher Training. Please become familiar and comfortable with
the writings of the books listed below and the materials on the CDs and DVDs.
Home Study Kit:
1. The Seven Spiritual Laws of Yoga Instructor Manual
2. The Seven Spiritual Laws of Yoga by Deepak Chopra, M.D. and David Simon,
3. The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success by Deepak Chopra, M.D.
4. Perfect Health by Deepak Chopra, M.D.
5. Vital Energy by David Simon, M.D.
6. The Key Muscles of Hatha Yoga by Ray Long, M.D.
7. Free to Love, Free to Heal by David Simon, M.D.
8. The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali as translated by Alistair Shearer
9. Shankara’s Crest Jewel of Discrimination as translated by Swami
Prabhavananda and Christopher Isherwood
10. Three Key Points to Relaxation by Claire E. Diab
11. Sanskrit Terminology CD
12. The Seven Spiritual Laws of Yoga Basic Class 1 audio CD
13. The Seven Spiritual Laws of Yoga Basic Class 2 audio CD
14. Sun Salutations Yoga For Everyone DVD by Claire E. Diab
Note - This phase requires that all assigned books be read and the CDs and DVDs be
reviewed before proceeding to the next training phase.
Suggested Study Plan:
Everyone has their own individual study style and preference. We recommend the
First take a look at the whole syllabus to get acquainted with the program’s
structure. You will also get a better idea of how to divide your time during each
Go through The Seven Spiritual Laws of Yoga Instructor Manual to review the
lessons and information you will be instructing as well as to assess the main
points in each lesson.
Read all the books provided in the Home Study Kit. There is no particular order.
Review the CDs and DVDs in the Home Study Kit.
Incorporate the information from these materials into your daily routine.
Memorize the Sanskrit terms in The Seven Spiritual Laws of Yoga Instructor
Manual glossary and in the Sanskrit Terminology CD.
You can also practice the Sanskrit terms through this educational website,
Based on what you read on The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success and The
Seven Spiritual Laws of Yoga books integrate the key points and mantra for
each law of the day into your daily routine.
Practice pranayama techniques and asanas each day either at home or at yoga
classes in your area.
Note that 20 hours of personal practice must be completed before attending the
certification program. Use the log in The Seven Spiritual Laws of Yoga Instructor
Manual to keep track of your hours.
Continue to meditate twice daily using the Sutra technique learned at the
Seduction of Spirit and Seduction of Silence seminar.
Continue to log your hours in The Seven Spiritual Laws of Yoga Instructor
Continue to study and know the information contained in the materials in the
Home Study Kit before you take the pre-tests and attend the certification
After you have finished reading all the books in the Home Study Kit and you have
reviewed the other materials, you will be ready to request the pre-test.
PHASE II – PRE-TEST AND CONFERENCES
Articulate Online Pre-Tests:
The pre-tests are at-home, open book tests. These tests include multiple choice,
matching, and essay questions.
You may start to request your pre-tests as early as three months prior to the certification
program date. Note that the pre-tests must be completed and passed 30 days prior to
attending the scheduled certification program.
When you are ready to take the pre-tests, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
After receiving the information to start the pre-tests, you will have four days to take the
test and notify the Chopra Center that you completed the tests. Therefore, please
request the pre-tests with sufficient time to have it completed and passed before the due
date. No Exceptions.
If you devote some time every day to the materials, we are confident that you will be
ready for the pre-test.
Note - You must pass the pre-tests before attending the certification program.
Passing scores are as follows:
You will need to know the curriculum to achieve the required passing score of
If you do not pass a pre-test on the first trial, you may take it again after speaking
with a Chopra Center University staff. In addition, you must have a passing score
of 100% for the second testing.
If you do not pass the second time you will be asked to wait until you are more
comfortable with the curriculum.
There will be several mandatory conferences by telephone or web to prepare for the
certification program. We encourage you to attend all scheduled conferences to stay
connected. If you are unable to attend a conference, you are required to listen to
You will be notified by email of the dates, times, and instructions. We will schedule
several conferences to help accommodate all schedules and time zones. All
conferences will be recorded for later review and reference before the certification
During the conferences we will provide information regarding the program, answer
questions, and review the curriculum. The duration of each conference may be from 60-
PHASE III – TEACHER TRAINING
This portion of The Seven Spiritual Laws of Yoga Teacher Training includes daily group
meditations with practice of the sutra technique, daily yoga classes, lectures, individual
presentations, testing, marketing suggestions, and Chopra Center instructor policies.
You will receive a sample schedule when it gets closer to the scheduled certification
The teacher training is divided into three modules: Part A, At-Home Study and Part B.
There is usually a two- to three-month gap between Part A and Part B to provide you
with sufficient time to complete the items in the At-Home Study module.
All participants are required to attend all sessions and the duration of the teacher training
and pass all testing to become certified.
Preparation for Part A:
1. 20 hours of personal practice must be completed and logged in The Seven
Spiritual Laws of Yoga Instructor Manual before attending Part A.
2. Sanskrit terms in The Seven Spiritual Laws of Yoga Instructor Manual glossary
and in the Sanskrit Terminology CD should be memorized prior to Part A to allow
you properly follow and understand the lectures and workshops.
Part A is a preparatory training with no formal testing. There will be daily yoga classes,
meditation, lectures, and workshops covering the materials in the Home Study Kit.
Some of the topics covered are pranayama; Seven Spiritual Laws of Yoga classes; Sun
Salutations; anatomy and physiology; yoga philosophy; and flexibility, strength, and
There will be ample opportunities to practice teaching to adequately prepare you for the
The following items must be completed after Part A and before attending Part B. You
will usually have from two to three months to complete the At-Home Study module
before attending Part B. Use the log in The Seven Spiritual Laws of Yoga Instructor
Manual to keep track of your hours.
1. Complete 30 hours of personal practice.
2. Complete 20 hours of teaching yoga to 10 different students.
3. Complete 10 hours of yoga classes with other yoga instructors (at least five
different yoga instructors or DVDs).
4. Complete 50 hours of study time.
5. Be able to teach a one-hour Seven Spiritual Laws of Yoga class.
6. Complete CPR requirements. Please bring a copy of the CPR certificate along
with your logs to Part B.
7. Attend the Journey into Healing workshop, if available.
8. You must complete all the required hours in the logs listed in The Seven Spiritual
Laws of Yoga Instructor Manual such as personal practice, teaching practice,
study time, other yoga classes, and seminars/workshops/books or DVDs.
This module includes practical and written testing as well as lectures and workshops.
1. Some of the topics covered are bhandas; anatomy and physiology; yoga and
pregnancy; business of yoga; and flexibility, strength, and balance asanas.
2. Practical tests throughout the week include:
a. Teach 20 minute sections of the Seven Spiritual Laws of Yoga class
sequence - you will teach introduction to yoga, two poses, and relaxation.
b. Teach the three variations of Sun Salutations: Variation I, II, and III as
noted in The Seven Spiritual Laws of Yoga Instructor Manual.
3. Written tests throughout the week include:
a. Anatomy written test
b. Sanskrit written test
c. Yoga philosophy written test
Requirements for certification:
1. Submit all required paperwork, such as completed logs and CPR certificate.
2. Complete and pass all testing:
a. Practical tests on Seven Spiritual Laws of Yoga class sequence and the
three variations of Sun Salutations.
b. Written tests must be passed with an 85% score or higher to become
certified. No Exceptions.
3. Complete all prerequisites and requirements.
4. Full attendance at Part A and Part B.
Center Certified Seven Spiritual Laws of Yoga Instructors on staff will also be teaching
and assisting throughout the program.
• Dr. David Simon - Co-Founder of the Chopra Center
• Dr. Valencia Porter - Chopra Center Medical Director, Ayurvedic Physician, and
• Claire E. Diab - Director of Seven Spiritual Laws of Yoga Program
• Davidji - Lead Educator and Dean of Chopra Center University
• Teresa Long - Senior Teacher Trainer and Director of Chopra Center University
• Local Master Instructors