Loewen, “The True Importance of Christopher Columbus”
1. What is the central Thesis and argument of this chapter?
2. How might Columbus truly be a reflection of our national culture?
3. What are the myths and what are the realities of Columbus?
4. What were his justifications of his actions?
5. What is the significance of the fact that Turks and Moors allowing Jews and
Christians freedom of worship when European Christian’s tortured or expelled
Jews and Muslims?
6. What is a master narrative? What is an alternative narrative?
7. Is racism cultural or natural?
8. How might master narrative perspectives of history perpetuate racism?
9. What were the developments that allowed Europeans to re-settle the Americas?
10. What evidence is there for non-white explorers visiting the Americas before
Columbus, why have they been left out of history, why is it important?
11. What is an “Exploration Archetype” concerning World exploration and
12. What is Cognitive Dissonance?
13. Who are we as a people?