Welcome To Balikpapan City The city of Balikpapan is located approximately between 1’ – 1,5’ S and 116,5’ – 117’ E. Consisting of 5 (Five) districts, Balikpapan city is bordered with Samarinda City, Kutai Kartanegara Region, Makasar Strait, and Penajam Paser Region. The area occupied approximately 503.306 Km2. Although the Indigenous is the native tribes but the life of heterogeneity has been the city lifestyle. It is not an excessive to call Balikpapan city as “the Oil City”. Beside the existence of several oil refineries, the anniversary of the city, 10th February, has been taken from the date of the first oil drilling in Balikpapan “The Mathilda” oil drill. Located in Borneo Island, one of the islands which known to the world for its tropical forest, has made Balikpapan formed as an oil city which has strong concern to the environment. This character expressed in the development rules of Balikpapan which only allowed 48% of its area to be developed. The other 52% of the area is purposed for: Green area, Conservation, Preservation, and Protected forest. The Wain River Protected Forest (HLSW) is a primary forest located in the North-West of the city center. Beside its purpose as a one of research center for Borneo’s tropical plants and animals, the forest also has been one of main tourist attraction for special interest tourist. Another main tourist attraction are: the “Manggar Segara Sari Beach”, “The Margomulyo Mangrove” and “the Environmental of Education and Recreation Center” – Sun Bear “Enclosure”. The Sun-Bear Enclosure has been designed especially to imitate the real habitat. Balikpapan city can be access relatively easy. The International Airport of Sepinggan is “the bridge” which connected Balikpapan city directly with major cities within Indonesia and abroad.
Pages to are hidden for
"Welcome To Balikpapan City"Please download to view full document