COSC 101: COMPUTER LITERACY
CHAPTER 10 QUIZ
MULTIPLE CHOICE. Choose the one alternative that best completes the statement or answers the question.
1) How many steps are there in the system development life cycle? 1) _______
A) 5 B) 4 C) 6 D) 10
2) What is the first step of the system development life cycle? 2) _______
A) problem and opportunity identification B) analysis
C) development and documentation D) design
3) During which phase of the system development life cycle are flowcharts and data-flow diagrams 3) _______
A) development and documentation B) design
C) analysis D) testing and installation
4) In the ________ phase, the problem is explored in depth and program specifications are 4) _______
A) evaluation B) problem and opportunity identification
C) analysis D) development and documentation
5) What is the final step of the system development life cycle? 5) _______
A) testing and evaluation B) design
C) analysis D) maintenance and evaluation
6) In a ________ system, each step is dependent on the previous step being completed first. 6) _______
A) waterfall B) bottom-up
C) rapid development D) top-down
7) ________ is the process of translating a task into a series of commands that a computer will use 7) _______
to perform a task.
A) Diagramming B) SDLC C) Flowcharting D) Programming
8) The method of algorithm creation used when a programmer breaks down a problem into a 8) _______
series of high-level tasks and continues to break each task into successively more detailed
subtasks is called:
A) bottom-up design. B) object-oriented analysis.
C) top-down design. D) coding design.
9) ________ is a text-based approach to documenting an algorithm. 9) _______
A) Diagramming B) Flow analysis C) Flowcharting D) Pseudocode
10) A ________ is a visual diagram of a process, including the decisions that need to be made along 10) ______
A) Structure chart B) Data -flow diagram
C) Flow chart D) Gantt chart
11) With object-oriented analysis, programmers identify all the categories of input that are part of 11) ______
the problem into
A) tables. B) units. C) classes. D) blocks.
12) In object-oriented programming, ________ allows a new class to pick up all the characteristics of 12) ______
an existing class.
A) regression B) compilation C) reusability D) inheritance
13) In terms of object-oriented analysis, classes can be defined by actions called 13) ______
A) classes. B) tasks. C) properties. D) methods.
14) The language that the CPU understands, consisting of a sequence of bits, is called 14) ______
A) second-generation language. B) assembly language.
C) basic language. D) machine language.
15) BASIC, FORTRAN, COBOL, C++, and Java are all ________-generation languages. 15) ______
A) first B) fourth C) third D) second
16) The ability to create programs with higher-level programming languages that can be moved 16) ______
from one type of computer to another is called:
A) transferability. B) scalability. C) inheritance. D) portability.
17) PROLOG (PROgramming LOGic) is an example of a ________ generation language. 17) ______
A) Fifth B) Third C) Second D) Fourth
18) A variable declaration tells the operating system to allocate space 18) ______
A) in the CPU. B) in RAM.
C) on the bus. D) on the hard drive.
19) The process by which program code is converted into machine language is called 19) ______
A) programming. B) translation. C) execution. D) compilation.
20) The binary sequence that instructs the CPU to run the programming code is called a(n) 20) ______
A) base code. B) executable program.
C) source file. D) interpreted program.
21) Violations of the strict, precise set of rules that define a programming language are called 21) ______
A) runtime errors. B) logic errors.
C) keyword errors. D) syntax errors.
22) Most integrated development environments (IDEs) include a debugger that 22) ______
A) helps programmers find logical errors. B) corrects errors found during beta
C) eliminates viruses. D) helps programmers find runtime errors.
23) Which language do programmers use if the problem requires a lot of number crunching? 23) ______
A) C++ B) Java C) FORTAN D) HTML
24) Which of the following is/are NOT part of a program's problem statement? 24) ______
A) outputs, or the information that is expected to be produced
B) inputs, or the data that is expected to be provided
C) pseudocode, or the text-based approach to documenting the algorithm
D) processing, or the set of steps that transform input into output
25) Decision points consist of binary decisions and ________. 25) ______
A) repeating loops B) functions
C) Boolean values D) logical operators
26) Translating an algorithm into a programming language is called 26) ______
A) compiling. B) interpreting. C) executing. D) coding.
27) Structured Query Language (SQL) is an example of a 27) ______
A) fifth-generation language. B) third-generation language.
C) second-generation language. D) fourth-generation language.
28) Which statement does NOT describe fifth-generation languages? 28) ______
A) They use a set of short, English-based commands (such as SUB) that speak directly to the
B) Problems are presented as a series of facts instead of a specific algorithm.
C) The system of facts can be queried.
D) They are the most "natural" of languages.
29) Some programmers include scroll bars, title bars, buttons, and menus in a program simply by 29) ______
adding them to a layout through a process called ________ programming.
A) visual B) applications C) layout D) drag and drop
30) An alternative approach to systems development, called ________, makes use of a prototype at 30) ______
the beginning of the project.
A) the waterfall method B) rapid application development (RAD)
C) integrated development (ID) D) the iterative method
31) ________, building a small program model, is a form of rapid application development (RAD). 31) ______
A) Interpreting B) Flowcharting C) Prototyping D) Compiling
32) In which industries is COBOL still commonly used? 32) ______
A) insurance B) transportation C) manufacturing D) Web design
33) Which statement about selecting the right programming language for a project is FALSE? 33) ______
A) Select a language that is easy for programmers to use and maintain.
B) Some programming languages may take up too much space.
C) Programming languages require the same amount of time to execute.
D) Certain languages are customized to support a UNIX or Windows environment.
34) Which of the following is taught as the beginning computer language at many colleges and 34) ______
A) Java B) Lisp C) Visual Basic D) FORTRAN
35) Which of the following statements about Java is FALSE? 35) ______
A) The Java program can run on any CPU or operating system.
B) Its object-oriented model enables programmers to benefit from its large set of existing
C) Java needs to be compiled only once.
D) Java can run only on a Windows operating system.
36) A(n) ________ error is caught when the program executes. 36) ______
A) execution B) runtime C) logical D) syntax
37) Which of the following statements describes dynamic decision making? 37) ______
A) It is the ability of a Web page to display itself based on choices the reader makes.
B) It is part of the flowcharting phase of algorithm creation.
C) It is an alternative method used in system design.
D) It occurs during the second phase of the SDLC.
38) Which of the following statements about pseudocode is TRUE? 38) ______
A) It is used only with the C++ programming language.
B) It uses shapes and arrows to represent an algorithm.
C) It is a text-based approach to documenting an algorithm.
D) It is a basic programming language.
39) Small Java-based programs are called 39) ______
40) The loop decision point consists of three features: an initial value, a set of actions to be 40) ______
performed, and a(n)
A) class. B) operator. C) testing plan. D) test condition.
41) Flowcharts and data flow diagrams are used during which step of the SDLC? 41) ______
A) analysis B) testing and installation
C) design D) development and installation
42) The two main types of decision points are the binary decision and the 42) ______
A) variable. B) initial value. C) loop. D) circle.
43) Special symbols called tags are used in which of the following languages? 43) ______
A) HTML/XHTML B) C++
C) BASIC D) Java
44) Which of the following is the programming language often used to build Windows applications? 44) ______
A) Visual Basic B) C++ C) Java D) HTML
45) Which of the following development environments enables Web sites to talk to each other easily 45) ______
by introducing a standard way for software to interact through Web services?
A) PHP (hypertext preprocessor) B) the .NET framework
46) Which of the following would NOT be used to build Web sites with interactive capabilities? 46) ______
A) Active Server Pages B) Java Server Pages
C) PHP (hypertext preprocessor) D) HTML
47) To develop Web-based multimedia, Adobe Flash includes a programming language named 47) ______
A) Active Server Pages B) LimeLight
C) SilverLight D) ActionScript
48) In object-oriented programming, each object from a given class is described by its 48) ______
A) initial value. B) derived class.
C) input and output. D) data and methods.
49) Which of the following is the first stage of the program development life cycle (PDLC)? 49) ______
A) implementing the project B) debugging the code
C) describing the problem D) writing the plan
50) Which of the following is the final stage of the program development life cycle (PDLC)? 50) ______
A) debugging the code B) writing the plan
C) implementing the project D) writing the code
51) Keywords in a programming language that allow the programmer to redirect the flow of the 51) ______
program based on a decision are called
A) operators. B) control structures.
C) directions. D) pseudocode.
52) Who is responsible for writing internal documentation for software programs? 52) ______
A) programmers B) copy editors
C) technical writers D) users
53) Which language is used for applications that need to collect information from networked 53) ______
A) HTML B) FORTRAN C) Java D) COBOL
54) Which of these elements is NOT common to all programming languages? 54) ______
A) structured classes B) set of operators
C) rules of syntax D) supported data types
55) The beta version of software is associated with which part of the program development life cycle 55) ______
A) development of the problem statement B) debugging
C) testing and documentation D) algorithm development