You don’t need a car at Brown!
• How to find everything you need here
without the hassle and expense
of bringing a car to school
194 Meeting St.
First Floor, Suite 004
Where to go
Thayer Street – a short stroll
The Green Trolley
Providence Place Mall
Eagle Square and East Side Marketplace –
supermarkets and more
Whole Foods – walk or ride RIPTA from Thayer Street to
The Hospitals – ride the BrownMed Express or RIPTA
ZipCar and Enterprise Rental – when you have to have a
car, you still don’t need to bring one
Brown Transportation Services
• BrownMed/Downcity Express: to Downcity and the Hospitals
• DSS onCall: reservation-based transportation for persons with
• Brown Campus Shuttle: fixed route around campus
• RISD Rides: fixed route around College Hill
• onCall: reservation-based point-to-point service
– For schedules, maps & policies see www.brown.edu/saferide
• RIPTA UPASS – It’s FREE!
– Swipe your Brown ID and take a seat on any RIPTA bus or trolley –
anytime and anywhere in the State at no charge!
- a short stroll -
Allegra Printing Foreign Affair Shades Plus
Andreas Restaurant G-Spot Threading Salon Shanghai
Antonio's Pizza Geoffs Shark Sushi & Hibachi
Army-Navy Gordito Burrito Sovereign Bank
Au Bon Pain Haruki Express Sushi Spice (Ocean Coffee Roaster)
Avon Cinema J & J's Candy Store Spectrum
Bagel Gourmet Ole Kabob N Curry Spike's Junkyard Dogs
Bank of America ATM Kartabar Spiritus Fermenti
Bead Works Kind Connection The Spot (Yoga)
Bedlam Kinkos Squires Salon
Ben & Jerry's La Creperie STA Travel
Berks Shoes La Femme Boutique Starbucks Coffee
Brown University Bookstore Liquid Lounge Stereo Discount Center
Byblos Meeting Street Café Store 24
Citizen's ATM (in Store 24) Metro Mart Subway
City Sports Morrison Office Supplies Supercuts
Coldstone Creamery Nice Slice Pizza Sushi Express
Condessa's Psychic Studio Paragon Tealuxe
CVS Pizza & Wings Extreme Thayer Street Cleansers
Details Princeton Review Tom's Tracks
E.F. Bishop Agency Red Carpet Smoke Shop Urban Outfitters
East Side Pockets Roba Dolce Via Via Pizza
East Side Vision Rockstar Piercing Viva
Facing Thayer Spa Salon Kroma Yang's
The Green Trolley will take you shopping
Eagle Square Eastside Marketplace
– Staples (Saturdays only)
– Radio Shack – Eastside Marketplace
(large independent supermarket)
– Blockbuster – Rite Aid Pharmacy
– Laundromat – BankRI
– more… – Blockbuster
Providence Place Mall
– Over 170 Stores
– Eight Restaurants
– Two Cinemas
– For Mall info see www.providenceplace.com
To & From To & From
Miriam Hospital Butler
Stop & Shop
42 40 Ames →
Radio Shack Shuttle
42 to 1
Brown University is providing this information for convenience only and does not endorse any of these merchants. Brown makes no representation, express or implied,
as to the quality or fitness of the merchandise sold by these merchants or of the service provided by them or by RIPTA for any particular purpose or person. Map
reproduced with the permission of RIPTA.
How To Get There
It's very easy to use RIPTA to get from Brown to top destinations around town. Check www.ripta.com for times before
you go since they adjust their schedules periodically, and while we try to check frequently, it's better to get the
information straight from the source.
• East Side Marketplace - Pitman St. On Saturdays from 9 to 10 am ONLY, the Green Trolley goes all the way to East Side
Marketplace and back on its eastward run.
• CVS - 481 Angell St. just off Wayland Square. Take the #35 Rumford bus down Waterman St. to Wayland Square. Walk one
block over to Angell St. Pick the bus up on Angell St. on the way back. Or walk on a nice day. Or go to the Thayer St. CVS.
Or the one at the Mall.
• Ladd Observatory - Hope St. Take the #42 Hope St. bus outbound from Thayer or Brook St. to the Observatory. Catch the
same bus inbound coming back.
• Providence Place Mall - Francis St. Take the Green Trolley, get off at the corner of Exchange and Francis Streets. If the
weather’s bad, walk into the Westin Hotel, up the escalator to the mezzanine, and across the bridge to the Mall. Pick the
Green Trolley up on the way back at the corner of Fountain and Dorrance. More than 170 stores, 8 restaurants, and 2
• Shaw’s Supermarket - North Main St. On weekdays only, take the #49 Camp St. bus from Thayer outbound to the Shaw's
Plaza at the end of the line. Then take it back again.
• Whole Foods Market - 261 Waterman St. Take the #35 Rumford bus at the Tunnel down Waterman St. to Wayland Square -
Whole Foods is at the corner of Waterman St.and Butler Ave. Pick it up one block away on Angell St. on the way back. This
is also a great walk from campus on a nice day if you're only planning to purchase a few items.
Check www.ripta.com for full schedules and maps.
Brown University is providing this information for convenience only and does not endorse any of these merchants. Brown makes no representation, express or implied, as to
the quality or fitness of the merchandise sold by these merchants or of the service provided by them or by RIPTA for any particular purpose or person.
And when you really have to have a car…you STILL
don’t need to bring one!
Internet-based service allows you to rent a car for an hour or two or an entire day when
you really need it. ZipCar maintains 7 vehicles on the Brown campus for hourly rental by
Brown ID holders who are 18+ years of age. See www.zipcar.com/brown.
• Enterprise Rental
Brown has an agreement with Enterprise Rental that allows Brown-affiliated drivers 21+
years of age, instead of the traditional age limit of 25+ years, to rent vehicles on a daily or
weekly basis at a corporate rate whether the rental is for personal or business use. In
addition, Enterprise will pick you up and take you to their nearest rental location if you
need transportation to their offices in order to rent a car. See