COSC 101: COMPUTER LITERACY
MULTIPLE CHOICE. Choose the one alternative that best completes the statement or answers the question.
1) The ________ computer had switches on the front of it, which were used to enter data using 0s 1) _______
A) Apple II B) TRS-80
C) Commadore PET D) Altair
2) One of the reasons the Apple II computer was popular was that: 2) _______
A) the operating system instructions were stored in ROM.
B) it had a mouse input device.
C) it was inexpensive.
D) it had a hard drive.
3) Which personal computer was the first to use the hard covered 3.5" floppy disk? 3) _______
A) Apple Macintosh B) Commodore PET
C) Osborne D) IBM PC
4) The ________, weighing 24.5 pounds, was the industry's first portable computer. 4) _______
A) TRS-80 B) Commodore PET
C) IBM PC D) Osborne
5) Many people believe Grace Hopper's greatest contribution to computing was: 5) _______
A) an easy-to-use electronic spreadsheet program.
B) the DOS operating system.
C) the compiler.
D) the design of the ENIAC.
6) Which of the following is NOT a spreadsheet application? 6) _______
A) VisiCalc B) EasyCalc C) LOTUS 1-2-3 D) Excel
7) The advancement and introduction of which of the following allowed users to interact with the 7) _______
computer more easily?
A) word processing software B) operating systems
C) the Internet D) the graphical user interface
8) Which of the following computers was the first to use the binary number system and have 8) _______
memory that repowered itself upon booting?
A) ENIAC B) Atanasoff-Berry Computer (ABC)
C) Z1 D) Harvard Mark I
9) The graphical user interface was developed by: 9) _______
A) Microsoft. B) Apple Corporation.
C) IBM. D) Xerox.
10) The first commercial Internet Web browser was developed by ________ in 1995. 10) ______
A) Intel B) Microsoft C) Firefox D) Netscape
11) A person who does not conform to a set of approved standards of social or professional 11) ______
A) violates social ethics. B) follows rule utilitarianism.
C) commits unethical behavior. D) practices situational ethics.
12) Which of the following ethical philosophies states that decision making should be based on the 12) ______
particular circumstances and not on fixed laws?
A) dynamic ethics B) situational ethics
C) relativism D) Judeo-Christian ethics
13) Which of the following is NOT a criterion used in "fair use" decisions? 13) ______
A) what is the effect of the "fair use" of the material
B) how is the creator of the "fair use" material compensated
C) what is the purpose of the "fair use" of the work
D) how much of the copyrighted material is being used
14) Google's China Web site not allowing search results for sites considered illegal or objectionable 14) ______
by the Chinese government is an example of:
A) fair use. B) intellectual property.
C) personal privacy. D) censorship.
15) If electronic toll pass records are used as evidence in a divorce case, this would raise questions 15) ______
A) personal privacy. B) social justice.
C) free speech. D) fair use.
16) If an individual created a set of songs that imitated the style and lyrics of songs from Disney's 16) ______
The Lion King, this would be an issue dealing with:
A) personal privacy. B) censorship.
C) social justice. D) copyright.
17) All of the following are arguments for banning online gambling EXCEPT: 17) ______
A) Internet gambling may lead to a gambling addiction.
B) Internet gambling is too easy for minors to get involved with.
C) prohibiting online gambling would send it underground.
D) Internet gambling makes it hard to ensure that the operations are "honest."
18) Which of the following is NOT one of Freeman Dyson's technologies that could turn poor rural 18) ______
areas into sources of wealth?
A) renewable resources B) Internet access
C) genetic engineering D) solar energy
19) OpenOffice 3 includes all of the following components EXCEPT: 19) ______
A) Calc. B) Impress. C) Access. D) Writer.
4) A computer virus normally attaches itself to another computer program known as a: 4) _______
23 Which of the following is NOT a Linux 23 ______
) distribution? )
A) Mandriva B) Gentoo C) Eudora D) Ubuntu
24) Which of the following is similar to the Windows System dialog box and displays hardware and 24) ______
software information on a Mac?
A) System Profiler B) System Preferences
C) Activity Monitor D) Control Panel
25) When building your own computer, which of the following is NOT required? 25) ______
A) a CPU B) a router
C) operating system software D) RAM
26) Which of the following is the automated backup utility in Mac OS Leopard? 26) ______
A) Dashboard B) Spotlight C) Time Machine D) Time Capsule
27) The ________ is the box that contains a computer's main electronic components. 27) ______
A) motherboard B) system bus
C) central processing unit (CPU) D) system unit
28) The earliest generation of electronic computers used ________ as switches. 28) ______
A) integrated circuits B) vacuum tubes
C) microprocessors D) transistors
29) ________ is the semiconductor material used to make transistors. 29) ______
A) Copper sulfide B) Strontium nitrate
C) Silicon D) Titanium oxide
30) The ________ number system uses the digits 0-9 and the symbols A-F. 30) ______
A) decimal B) hexadecimal C) binary D) octal
31) Which of the following is NOT character code? 31) ______
A) EBCDIC B) ANSI C) ICANN D) ASCII
32) A byte is is composed of ________ bits. 32) ______
A) 8 B) 2 C) 16 D) 10
33) The ASCII code can represent ________ unique characters. 33) ______
A) 256 B) 1,024 C) 128 D) 512
34) Unicode uses ________ bits to code character data. 34) ______
A) 24 B) 10 C) 8 D) 16
35) Which of the following is NOT a CPU processing cycle step? 35) ______
A) fetch B) execute C) code D) store
36) The special memory storage areas built into the CPU are called: 36) ______
A) buffers. B) accumulators. C) cells. D) registers.
37) What type of memory stores frequently used instructions or data needed by the CPU? 37) ______
A) flash B) SDRAM C) RDRAM D) cache
38) Which of the following sequences lists the speed of memory from the fastest to the slowest? 38) ______
A) RAM, Level 2 cache, Level 1 cache, registers
B) RAM, Level 1 cache, Level 2 cache, registers
C) registers, Level 2 cache, Level 1 cache, RAM
D) registers, Level 1 cache, Level 2 cache, RAM
39) ADD, SUB, MOVE, and EQU are examples of ________ language commands. 39) ______
A) HTML B) assembly C) machine D) SQL
40) The collection of commands that a specific CPU executes is called its ________ set. 40) ______
A) instruction B) command C) processing D) control
41) The main purpose of the CPU's ________ is to decode program instructions into commands 41) ______
understood by the CPU.
A) ALU B) system clock C) registers D) control unit
42) When a U.S. business hires a third party within the United States to provide services they offer 42) ______
to their customers, it is called:
A) outrigging. B) outsourcing. C) offstaging. D) offshoring.
43) When a U.S. company hires a company outside of the United States, they are using a technique 43) ______
A) offshoring. B) outlanding. C) outsourcing. D) offtracking.
44) Systems development includes all of the following positions EXCEPT: 44) ______
A) network engineer B) helpdesk analyst
C) programmer D) technical writer
45) An IT professional working a(n) ________-based job reports for work to the same location each 45) ______
day and interacts with the same people on a regular basis.
A) project B) office C) home D) field
46) A(n) ________ works with others in the Web development area to make a site easy to navigate. 46) ______
A) video producer B) graphic designer
C) interface designer D) animator
47) Programmers, systems analysts, project managers, and technical writers are generally 47) ______
considered part of a(n) ________ team.
A) Web development B) support services
C) information systems D) systems development
48) ________ go to a user's physical location and fix software and hardware problems. 48) ______
A) Telecommunications technicians B) Computer support technicians
C) Network administrators D) Helpdesk analysts
49) Which of the following is NOT a degree that prepares students for IT careers? 49) ______
A) ACM B) MIS
C) computer science D) computer engineering
TRUE/FALSE. Write 'T' if the statement is true and 'F' if the statement is false.
50) The Altair could be purchased fully assembled or as a kit. 50) ______
51) Released in 1984, the Apple Macintosh was the first computer brought to market that used a 51) ______
graphical user interface.
52) Charles Babbage's Analytical Engine plans included components similar to those found in 52) ______
today’s computers, including RAM, a central processing unit, as well as input and output
53) The first programming language ever developed was BASIC. 53) ______
54) WordStar was one of the first word processing programs introduced on the market. 54) ______
55) The Z1 is thought to be the first computer to include features integral to today's systems, 55) ______
including a control unit and separate memory functions.
56) VisiCalc was one of the main reasons for the rapid increase in PC sales. 56) ______
57) The Turing Machine was a computer that entered the market immediately after the IBM PC. 57) ______
58) Computers that used integrated circuits are referred to as third-generation computers. 58) ______
59) Joseph Jacquard invented a loom that used cards with punched holes to automate the weaving 59) ______
process. Later, this process was adopted as a means to record and read data by using punch
cards in computers.
60) Jack Kilby, from Texas Instruments, invented the world's first integrated circuit. 60) ______
61) Scientists at IBM developed the microprocessor chip. 61) ______
62) Relativism holds that everyone has his or her own ideas and that there is no universal moral 62) ______
63) A person exhibits unethical behavior when he or she does not conform to approved standards of 63) ______
social or professional behavior.
64) Unlike written laws, societal ethics provide a general set of unwritten guidelines for people to 64) ______
65) Electronic toll passes are RFID devices that can be used to track where you were at a specific 65) ______
point in time.
66) Internet gambling is legal in the United States. 66) ______
67) Phishing attempts to trick people to reveal their sensitive information. 67) ______
68) Social ethics states that decision making should be based on the circumstances of a particular 68) ______
situation and not on fixed laws.
69) The Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002 requires companies to provide anonymous methods of 69) ______
reporting unethical behavior.
70) Promoting solar energy in rural communities is an example of social ethics. 70) ______
71) When objectionable material is blocked by content-filtering software, our rights of free access to 71) ______
information are affected.
72) Filtering software is able to differentiate between information that should be blocked and 72) ______
information that is not objectionable but instead is informational.
73) The government requires schools and public libraries to have filtering software on their computers
to receive 73) ___
74) The Fair Use Act protects authors from negative comments about their work. 74) ______
75) There is universal agreement among societies as to the best system of ethics. 75) ______
76) Electrical switches are devices inside the computer that can be flipped between two states: 1 or 0. 76) ______
77) A semiconductor is any material that can be controlled to either conduct electricity or prohibit 77) ______
the flow of electricity.
78) The binary number system is also known as the base 10 number system. 78) ______
79) The duodecimal number system uses the digits 0-9 and the symbols A-F. 79) ______
80) Another name for the CPU processing cycle is the CPU machine cycle. 80) ______
81) Some CPUs now have three levels of cache memory. 81) ______
82) Level 1 cache is located farther away from the CPU than Level 2 cache. 82) ______
83) Level 2 cache has more storage area than Level 1 cache. 83) ______
84) The ALU is the part of the CPU that performs mathematical operations and makes comparisons. 84) ______
85) Mainlining boosts CPU performance by allowing the CPU to work on more than one processing 85) ______
stage at a time.
86) Serial processing uses a large network of computers, with each computer simultaneously 86) ______
working a section of the same problem.
87) Clock speeds are measured in hertz (Hz). 87) ______
88) You can download open source software for free from Web sites and install it on as many 88) ______
computers as you like and even make changes to the source code.
89) OpenOffice3 and Microsoft Office 2007/2010 share the same ribbon interface. 89) ______
90) Although Web-based alternatives are cost-effective alternatives to Microsoft Office, they are not 90) ______
as easily accessible as the standard applications.
91) The OpenOffice 3 application called Base is most similar to the Microsoft Excel program. 91) ______
92) If you do not like the templates supplied by OpenOffice Impress, you can download others free 92) ______
93) Base is a popular open source database application. 93) ______
94) Microsoft Access is harder to learn than MySQL. 94) ______
95) Linux is available in various packages called distros. 95) ______
96) Visio is a free program that allows you to create diagrams and charts. 96) ______
97) A disadvantage to building your own computer is the lack of technical support if something 97) ______
98) Zoho and ThinkFree contain Web-based open source alternatives to Microsoft Office 98) ______
100) A survey indicates that almost half of business experienced no cost savings as a result of 100) _____