Introducing ArcGIS Explorer
ArcGIS Server 9.2
Visualization Spatial Data Spatial
(Mapping) Management Analysis
Java .NET ArcGIS
What is ArcGIS Explorer?
• Free downloadable 3D viewer designed to view 9.2 map
services and GIS data.
• Rich client that leverages your data as well as data &
services hosted by ESRI.
Map / Globe
Why use ArcGIS Explorer?
• ArcGIS Explorer provides an engaging user experience.
• The content can be tailored to your organization’s
• You can leverage your existing GIS investment.
Who uses ArcGIS Explorer?
• Users of maps and services
– People who require simple mapping tools to answer routine business
• GIS Managers and Analysts
– Share collections of data, maps and query/modeling tools
– Deploy an engaging 3D viewer
– Minimal end user configuration
– Analyst-friendly development process.
How is it different from a web site?
• Ready made viewer
• Requires downloading and installing
• Advanced viewing tools
– (Transparency, Swipe, caching, etc)
• 3D globe with fluid navigation
• Analyst-friendly development for geoprocessing
• SDK for advanced programming
How is it different from Google Earth?
• Uses data you create and control
• Platform for answering questions important to local
constituents (such as zoning, sex offenders)
• Leverages your existing GIS investment
What does it require to use?
• Download and/or Install from the media provided to
customers with a licensed copy of server.
• Ready to use online maps and services.
• Can be installed with other ESRI products, regardless of
the product version.
• File based GIS data as necessary.
• System Requirements
What does it require to deploy with your
• ArcGIS 9.2 Server (Standard)
• Globe service, map service, or server ready
• ArcGlobe (3D Analyst) to create a .3dd globe document
or ArcGIS Desktop for 2D map services.
Lets see it
1) Online maps, services and the .NMF!
2) Advanced viewing tools of ArcGIS Explorer
3) Combine ArcGIS Explorer and MetaCarta in a “task”
4) Share a model that displays relevant data on demand
A few best practice details . . .
• Caching on the server and client optimize performance
(9.2 Server capability)
• It is a viewer for your data.
• Different geoprocessing tasks will be just like different
map services. Task results should speak the language of
the end user, not the analyst.
Map / Globe
How to Demonstrate ArcGIS 9.2
• Practice in the office before you leave
• Arrive to the demonstration site early to
– Check out set-up
– Test internet connections
• Prep the sales rep so he knows his job
• Give the sales rep the sign to shut up because he doesn’t
know what he is talking about
• Correct the damage done by the sales rep through a