1. LAPORAN PRESTASI CALON MENGIKUT
(KEKUATAN, KELEMAHAN DAN KESILAPAN)
Give appropriate responses/Converse on a topic
• Proficient candidates were able to give detailed
and appropriate responses. In addition, they were
able to give their own views and opinions. Most of
them were able to discuss the topic thoroughly
especially those topics that are familiar to them.
The topics often discussed were on science,
environment health and people.
• Candidates with good command of the language
had clear understanding of the given topics, thus
they were able to respond relevantly and
• The freedom given to the
candidates in choosing their
own topic for presentation
allowed them to choose those
topics that they are familiar
with. The above average
candidates tend to choose
simple topics to play safe.
• Some average and above average
students were over excited and over
ambitious with their presentation that
they deviated from their subject matter.
Often times their presentation exceeded
ten minutes. However, the weak students
had problems in constructing sentences.
So, their subject matter was not
developed. There were many incomplete
sentences making their presentation dull.
• Weak candidates also often gave irrelevant
responses and very limited development of
ideas. Most of them were able to
understand the questions but could not
give immediate response using the
language due to lack of confidence and
less exposure to the language. Those who
scored average to low marks needed more
time to answer questions. Questions had
to be rephrased until they understood and
could respond fairly.
• Some candidates did not even
respond as they only memorized the
text without understanding the
subject matter. These candidates
tend to be dependent on their scripts
that once they forgot their lines,
they were not able to proceed with
their presentation. In addition, these
candidates would panic when
questions were put forth.
• “I think I like pink because … beautiful, pretty, for
• “Pink very nice, I buy pink bag because I like the
• When asked “What should you do to stop
Answer: “I stop pollution because dangerous”.
• When asked “Where did you go during the
Answer: “I home”.
• When asked “How long was the trip?”
Answer: “It was 2.30p.m”.
Speak fluently using
correct and acceptable
• Proficient students gave
impressive presentation. They
spoke fluently with accurate
pronunciation. They had no
problem articulating clearly with
the correct stress, rhythm and
intonation. Effective use of pauses
could be noted.
• Weak candidates made
frequent errors in
pronunciation due to lack of
practice and at some point,
their group members helped
them. They used the same
tone for different situations,
making the conversation not
• Incompetent candidates struggled
with the pronunciation. Mother
tongue influence could be detected.
• Many weak students were unable to
distinguish voiced and voiceless
sounds, the inability to pronounce
words ending with „t, d, k‟
• the poor reading habits of many
weak students usually affect the
fluency of their oral presentation.
• Can‟t – [ken]
• Know – [no]
• Knowledge – [noleg]
• Suggest – [sages]
• Mother – [made]
• Both - [bot]
• Buffet – [bafet]
• Priest – [prais]
• Only good students scored good marks
for this construct since they understood
their texts and were well prepared.
Continuity of ideas were evident. Logical
connectors were used. Good flow of
ideas with appropriate use of words and
phrases when students presented their
personal experiences or topics closely
related to them. Some used computers
and LCDs to enhance their presentations.
• Weaker students tend to forget their lines
as they did not prepare well. Their flow of
ideas was interrupted by the use of
inappropriate connectors. Some ideas
were not well-organised, jumbled up and
repeated unnecessarily especially when
students were presenting memorized
scripts and had forgotten parts of their
• Very weak candidates had difficulties in
maintaining their flow of ideas due to too
many irrelevant pauses and very limited
• Pollution is caused by the factories and
cars on the road. But however, humans
also caused pollution.
• Some more, many of them have been to the
• My father was sick, moreover, he went to
• He is clever and apart from that he is lazy.
• Juana is a loyal wife but a responsible
Speak the language using a wide range of
appropriate vocabulary within context
• Good students use extensive and precise
vocabulary and interesting expressions
appropriately and effectively. They surfed
the internet and did research on the
given topics. Therefore, they had a wide
range of good vocabulary pertaining to
the topics. This is clearly demonstrated
by their smooth flow of ideas without
much hesitation and the choice of words
without pausing for a long time.
• Use of idiomatic expressions was
also evident amongst the good
• The average students had adequate
vocabulary to convey the intended
meaning. Clear and satisfactory
language was employed most of the
time. Meaning is understood
• Some average students were over
enthusiastic with the assessment and
wanting to do their best, they tend to use
sophisticated vocabulary without even
• On the other hand, weak students lacked
the vocabulary. Their sentences were too
simple but erratic. In some cases, they
used inappropriate vocabulary.
• I admire my father because he work
hardly to get money to live.
• The mosque is in the left hand side.
• Parents should play an active role in
protecting their children by
overloading their social behaviour and
• Let me story you about my life.
• My mother angry me because I break
• They want to spend you at the
1.5 Speak using correct grammar:
• Good students were able to use correct grammar
and good sentence structures to convey intended
meaning. Errors with simple structures were few
except for the occasional slips of the tongue due to
nervousness. They have mastered the basic
• For Model 4, many students did not prepare their
own script but used scripts taken from books, the
internet and other sources. Thus, the problem of
making grammatical errors did not arise.
• For some average students, they managed to string
simple sentences with preparation. Therefore,
grammatical errors were minimized.
• Some below average students
made consistent grammatical
errors that disrupt meaning. In
some case, meaning is totally
distorted. They were not bothered
to do any preparations
• The average students tend to fall
for simple and some compound
sentences. Sometimes they used
wrong compound words to join the
• Common errors include:
• i) Tenses
• My family and I go to see the Lost
World of Tambun.
• We enjoy ourself there.
• We feel tired but happy.
• My cousin also join us for the trip.
• It was happen at the traffic light
• ii) Subject – Verb agreement
• Madam Hasbi always give us advice.
• Pulau Langkawi offer beautiful
• I plays badminton near my house
• Many teenagers goes to cyber café.
• iii) Singular – Plural Nouns
• There are many student who fail
• Nowadays, we hear many theft case.
• Several child had food poisoning
because the food was dirty.
• Kelantan has many interesting
• iv) Word order
I and my family often spend time together.
At present, many games computer are
My father is a driver bus.
• v) Verb form
When I walking home, I saw two boys
smoking behind the shop.
Many teenagers thinking that if they have
mobile phones, they belong to elite group.
• vi) Preposition
• When weekend, I always go
fishing with friend.
• The scouts had a camping trip
• In the night, I watch television.
2. PRESTASI KESELURUHAN CALON
• BILANGAN CALON
• EXCELLENT (26 – 30) 41352
• GOOD (21 – 25) 72689
SATISFACTORY(16 – 20) 77992
WEAK (11 – 15) 56662
VERY WEAK ( 5 – 10) 29643
• JUMLAH BESAR 278338
• (Based on data from 10 states)
3.1 Model yang digunakan oleh pelajar:
• Students have to do both models 1 & 2 in
Form 4 but in Form 5, when they are
given a choice, model 3 (Pair work) is
• 3.2 Kesesuaian model dengan pelajar:
• All the models are suitable. However, Model 1
tends to encourage students to memorise, thus
the student‟s true ability in speaking is not
• Candidates must attempt to respond and converse.
• They have to be mentally prepared.
• They need to do extra reading for the topic they have
chosen so that they can converse effectively.
• They must practice speaking English so that simple
and common expressions will not be a problem to
• They must equip themselves with the common words in
English (for the weak ones) and enrich their vocabulary
with precise words, idioms and proverbs (for the more
• They should watch educational programs and listen to
the radio for more English input.
SARANAN KEPADA GURU
• Teachers must emphasise on the importance of ULBS.
• They should make it clear to the candidates all the five
constructs in ULBS so that the candidates are aware of what
they should focus on.
• Teachers must expose the candidates to more English input.
• Teachers need to encourage their students to be involved in
dialogues or role-plays in class.
• Teachers should provide the candidates with common English
expressions and phrases.
• Teachers should provide them with the vocabulary list that
the student are expected to master.
• Teachers need to build the positive attitude towards English
among the students. Use more creative approaches like using
songs and language games to improve their grammar and
• Teachers need to realize that the ULBS should be conducted
as a part of the teaching and learning process and should not
be done in isolation.
ISU DAN SARANAN
• There is a need to improvise the present
manual and do the necessary changes.
• It is necessary to have a CD which
demonstrates how ULBS is carried out
and it is distributed throughout the
country. This is to ensure uniformity in
assessing and that all of us are speaking
the same language of assessment.
• Coordination meeting at national and
state level be carried out in the month of
January so that teachers can carry out
the assessment immediately.
ISU DAN SARANAN
• The +/-5 mark range for coordination is too
wide. This range allows candidates to be
placed in different bands by different
assessors. It is suggested that the range is
narrowed down to +/-3.
• Monitoring and coordination of these
assessments should be taken seriously to
ensure the assessments are done
HAL-HAL LAIN (jika ada)
• The allowance given to the
assessors (KPK, KPN, KPKw
and KPS) is greatly
• Laporan disediakan oleh;
(ILANI BT ASHARI)
KETUA PENTAKSIR KEBANGSAAN
ULBS BAHASA INGGERIS
• Tarikh: 4 NOVEMBER 2008