• The VISTAKON® division of Johnson & Johnson Vision Care, Inc. specializes in disposable
and frequent replacement contact lens brands, including ACUVUE ADVANCE Brand
Contact Lenses with HYDRACLEAR™, ACUVUE ADVANCE Brand Contact Lenses for
ASTIGMATISM for people with astigmatism, ACUVUE OASYS™ Brand Contact Lenses
with HYDRACLEAR™ PLUS, ACUVUE Brand and ACUVUE 2 Brand Contact Lenses; 1-
DAY ACUVUE Brand Contact Lenses ACUVUE Brand BIFOCAL Contact Lenses;
® ® ™
ACUVUE Brand TORIC, and ACUVUE 2 COLOURS Brand Contact Lenses.
• VISTAKON® is a fully integrated worldwide contact lens company with approximately 3,200
associates located in four regions.
• The worldwide organization and Americas region is based in Jacksonville, FL with
manufacturing plants in Jacksonville, FL and Limerick, Ireland.
• Operations in Japan were established in 1991, Europe, Middle East & Africa in 1992 and Asia
Pacific in 1993.
• VISTAKON® reached sales of $1.8 billion in 2005.
• Johnson & Johnson acquired VISTAKON® in 1981.
• VISTAKON® launched disposable soft contact lens in 1988 and exceeded $1 billion in sales
• With the introduction of ACUVUE® in 1988, VISTAKON® enjoyed a decade of growth. The
superior convenience and comfort of disposable lens fueled market share leadership in key
U.S. markets and served as the basis for expansion into the European, Japanese and Asia
• Contact lenses are regulated medical devices.
• Depending on local regulations the product is prescribed through optometrists,
ophthalmologists, and opticians. These eye care professionals are organized in chains or
independent retail environments. This is one of the few categories where doctors prescribe
as well as dispense and as a result, they have an economic interest in the prescription.
• Government regulatory approval is required in all regions following medical device
• ACUVUE® brand contact lenses are sold in over 70 countries.