PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT PLAN
Though no one can go back and make a
brand new start, anyone can start from
now and make a brand new ending.
The purpose of this Development Plan is to help you...
• Identify your passion(s)
• Draft a personal mission statement
• Define specific goals/objectives as it relates to your
• Create a measurable action plan to accomplish your
You and your mentor are welcome to use this Plan as a
tool in shaping your career development.
FIND YOUR PASSION!
Ways to discover your inspiration/motivation:
• Epiphany - A pivotal, life-changing experience can create a sudden and intense
awareness of an underlying passion; an “aha!” moment.
• Change – A major life change that alters one’s view on life and causes closer self-
examination as to the way one lives it. This examination challenges one to learn things
about self that were previously unknown.
• Intuition – One must be sense passion in order to identify it. Passion must be
embraced fully, with fearlessness and strong conviction.
• Experience - Most uncover passion gradually as a result of day-to-day experiences.
One gets glimpses of it--courtesy of intuition--but may not understand its significance or
heed its influence. Unless attention is paid to those experiences, one is likely to
disregard them. One must listen to and interpret life’s signals and translate them into
Adapted and excerpted from The Passion Plan: A Step-by-Step Guide to
Discovering, Developing, and Living Your Passion by Richard Chang
Personal Mission Statement
Develop a statement or several statements that describe
success for you professionally and personally.
This may not be a quantifiable destination or goal, but
rather a description of your personal and professional
purpose or “reason for being” as you would like it to be.
• What would I really like to accomplish in my life?
• What makes me the happiest?
• What am I truly good at?
• If I had a large sum of money, what would I do? Is it
really the money that keeps me from pursuing that?
• What contribution can I make?
• What do I define success? What does it mean to me?
• What will my legacy be? How would I like to be
• Broad, long-term aims that define a desired result
associated with identified strategic issues.
• Targets for achievement through interventions.
• The purpose toward which an endeavor is directed
• Something worked toward or striven for
Goals and objectives should be S.M.A.R.T.
• Specific - Focused; detailed; definite; precise
• Measurable - Course of action; measurements
• Aggressive - Determined; self-assertive; vigorous; tenacious
• Realistic - Practical; prudent
• Time-framed -
• Short-term (six months or less) and
• Long term (more than six months)
Objectives Worksheet (Example)
Goal Short- Long- Objective Action Step
State how you will Identify whether Specify at least 3 steps you Specify the performance or
explore an aspect of the goal is short- will take to achieve the goal. data-based measure by
your career field, or term or long term. which you will accomplish
move forward toward it.
your career goal.
Build new account X X 1. Prioritize account sales. Plan a sales penetration
sales/develop new strategy to allocate 20% of
business 2. Acquire two new accounts sales calls to new accounts.
Take courses to refresh
3. Meet or exceed sales goals. telephone sales,
presentation skills and
Read books on problem-
Create an Action Plan
Develop some specific steps to acquire the capabilities
you need to move toward the achievement of your
mission, goals and objectives.
Short-Term Action Plan (Example)
Action Step Time Frame Notes
Specify the performance or data- Specify the short-term date by Write notes to self.
based measure by which you will which you will accomplish the
accomplish it listed on your objective listed on your
Objectives Worksheet. Objectives Worksheet.
Read one business book or listen Quarterly. Consider reading 365 Sales Tips
to one business audio tape on for Winning Business or Tough
problem-solving capabilities in Calls: Selling Strategies to Win
selling. over Your Most Difficult
Long-Term Action Plan (Example)
Action Step Time Frame Notes
Specify the performance or Specify the long-term date by Write notes to self.
data-based measure by which which you will accomplish the
you will accomplish it listed on objective listed on your
your Objectives Worksheet. Objectives Worksheet.
Plan a sales penetration September 2006 Consider holding regularly-
strategy to allocate 20% of scheduled meetings with
sales calls to new accounts. decision makers to position self
as a consultant, to solve
problems, not as a sales