Documents
Resources
Learning Center
Upload
Plans & pricing Sign in
Sign Out

Source _

VIEWS: 14 PAGES: 16

									CLOOS/CLOSE sources


Source #      Sources                           Location
            1 “Cloos Family Record – 1912”      Family History Documents
                                                (Originals)\Cloos Family Record
                                                1912\printables

           12 “History of Tioga County          http://www.rootsweb.com/~srgp/18
              Pennsylvania 1883”                83/1883toc.htm

                                                1883 Tioga County History
                                                TOC.doc

           14 “History of Tioga County          http://www.rootsweb.com/~srgp/18
              Pennsylvania 1897”                97/1897toc.htm

                                                1897 Tioga County History
                                                TOC.doc

                                                1897 Tioga County History TOC
                                                shortened.doc

       901 Shumway Hill Cemetery 1970s          http://www.rootsweb.com/~srgp/ce
                                                mt/shumwayh.htm




     check Old Cloos Burying Ground,            http://www.rootsweb.com/~srgp/ce
           Chatham Township, Tioga County,      mt/cloos.htm
           PA
     check 1908 CHATHAM TOWNSHIP                http://www.rootsweb.com/~patioga/
           directory                            books/tcdir142.htm


    Check Register of Births 1893-1906          http://www.rootsweb.com/~srgp/bir
Helena and                                      th/tcbc05.htm
   cousins
    Check Union Cemetery, Smithfield            http://www.rootsweb.com/~srgp/ce
  kingsley Township, Bradford County,           mb/union06.htm
           Pennsylvania
Kingsley’s Kingsley’s Hatchery                  http://www.rootsweb.com/~srgp/art
 Hatchery                                       icles/screek08.htm


                                      -1–
C:\Docstoc\Working\pdf\58a567be-1fa6-47bf-9810-e9d52afffa82.doc
CLOOS/CLOSE sources


   Cloos, Newberry Cloos, farmer, aged 80       http://www.rootsweb.com/~srgp/bir
 Newberry years, 10 months, died May 7, 1853,   th/tiog1852.htm
          Deerfield, Tioga Co., Pa., buried
          Deerfield (Ling Fever) Born June
          11, 1772, Mohawk River, N.Y. Son
          of Reuben Cloos (mother’s name not
          given) Wife’s name Esther Short.
          Cert. returned by Charles Avery.
    check History of Tioga County               http://www.rootsweb.com/~srgp/18
          Pennsylvania 1897                     97/1897toc.htm

     check Ch. 24 CHATHAM TOWNSHIP              http://www.rootsweb.com/~srgp/18
                                                97/ch35.htm




                                      -2–
C:\Docstoc\Working\pdf\58a567be-1fa6-47bf-9810-e9d52afffa82.doc
CLOOS/CLOSE sources




14.61.1 1897 Tioga County History                     http://www.rootsweb.com/~srgp/18
        Chapter 61 Part One - Biographies             97/ch61a.htm


Info on Matilda Cloos Daniels and other Cloos’s.

  14.24 1897 Tioga County History                     http://www.rootsweb.com/~srgp/18
        Chapter XXIV Charleston Township              97/ch24.htm

JUSTICES OF THE PEACE

The following named persons have served as justices of the peace for Charleston
township; Benajah H. Ives, 1825; Jacob Babb, 1826; Chauncey Alford, 1827; David
Ellis, 1830; Joseph Aiken, 1832; John R. Ray, 1833; John F. Donaldson, 1834; Daniel
Holiday, Jr. 1835; Simeon Houghton, 1836; Levi I. Nichols, 1836; Alanson E. Niles,
1840; Carlisle Atherton, 1840; Joel Culver; 1844; Isaiah Wilson, 1845; John Gibson,
1850; James Kelly, 1851; re-elected 1856; Holman Morgan, 1856; re-elected 1861, 1878,
1883 and 1888; Charles Close, 1861; re-elected 1866; George W. Avery, 1866; Thomas
D. Elliott, 1869; D. A. Evans, 1871; D. P. Benedict, 1873; Ira Johnston, 1882; William R.
Jones, 1887; re-elected 1892 and 1897; and C. H. Scouten, 1893. (14.24)

Round Top is the name of a village on Charleston Creek in the southwestern part of the
township. It derives its name from the peculiar shape of the roof of the first school house,
which was known as the "Round Top School House." A post office was established here
in1872, the first postmaster being Samuel Morgan. His successors have been George
Rabb, Charles Close, Mrs. Jane Close and E. G. Close, the present incumbent, who took
charge November 29, 1889. In 1872 Samuel Morgan opened the first store in the village.
He sold it, in 1873, to Charles Close. After Mr. Close’s death, in 1883, his widow carried
on the business. In 1888 her son, E. G. Close, became proprietor. The Wellsboro and
Antrim railroad, completed in 1872, passes through the village, in which there are now
two churches, a grange hall, a public school building and a cheese factory, besides a
number of private residences. The Round Top Cheese Factory was established in 865 by
a stock company. It was operated by Charles Close from 1870 until his death in 1883, and
by his widow until 1888, since which time it has been run by E. G. Close. It has an
annual output of 60,000 pounds of cheese.




                                      -3–
C:\Docstoc\Working\pdf\58a567be-1fa6-47bf-9810-e9d52afffa82.doc
CLOOS/CLOSE sources


14.59.3 1897 Tioga County History                    http://www.rootsweb.com/~srgp/18
        Chapter 59 Part Three                        97/ch59c.htm


CHARLES CLOSE, son of Reuben Close, and grandson of Newbury Close, Sr., was born
in Chatham township, February 3, 1826, and was reared to manhood in his native
township, receiving his education in the common schools. About 1847 he removed to
Westfield and engaged in mercantile business with his brother George. In 1852 he
removed to Charleston township and settled at Round Top, where he established potash
works, which he carried on until about 1870, when he purchased the Round Top Cheese
Factory, which had been established in 1865 by a stock company. In 1872 he bought out
the general store of Samuel Morgan. This and a small farm he carried on in connection
with his cheese factory until his death, May 16, 1883. Mr. Close was married in 1847, to
Jane Owlett, a daughter of Gilbert B. and Martha (Pope) Owlett, of Chatham township.
To this union there were born seven children, viz: Martha E., widow of Benjamin F.
Claus; Mary E. and Sybil A., deceased; Gilbert Burton, of Delmar; Reuben G., of
Keeneyville; Edd G., of Round Top, and Arthur C., merchant and cheese manufacturer,
Keeneyville. Mrs. Close makes her home with her children. Mr. Close was a Republican,
in politics; was a justice of the peace in Charleston township from 1860 to 1870, and
postmaster of Round Top for many years. He was a man of strict integrity, honorable in
his dealings, and esteemed and respected by all who knew him. 14.59 (part 3)

E. G. CLOSE, merchant and cheese manufacturer, at Round Top, Charleston township,
Tioga county, was born in that township, January 27, 1867, a son of Charles and Jane
(Owlett) Close. He obtained his education in the public schools of his native township
and at Westbrook’s Commercial College, Olean, New York. In February, 1888, he
purchased the Round Top Cheese Factory from his father’s estate. This factory, which
has a capacity of thirty tons per annum, he has since operated. In 1890 he opened a
general store at Round Top, and has carried on merchandising in connection with the
cheese industry. November 29, 1889, Mr. Close was appointed postmaster of Round Top,
which office he has filled up to the present. He was married February 1, 1888, to Ella L.
Marks, a daughter of Charles and Jane Marks, of Charleston township, and has three
children, viz: Florence J., Max C. and Jay Marks. Mr. and Mrs. Close are members of the
Methodist Episcopal church. In politics, he is an adherent of the Republican party, and
also a member of Tyoga Lodge, No. 230, I. O. O. F., Wellsboro.14.59 (part three)




14.60.2 1897 Tioga County History                    http://www.rootsweb.com/~srgp/18
        Chapter 60 Part Two - Biographies            97/ch60b.htm




                                      -4–
C:\Docstoc\Working\pdf\58a567be-1fa6-47bf-9810-e9d52afffa82.doc
CLOOS/CLOSE sources

HENRY J. SHAFF, eldest son of Stephen C. Shaff, was born in Madison county, New York, September 10,
1834, and was less than two years old when his parents came to Tioga county. He was reared on the
homestead in Middlebury township, and in the spring of 1854 went to Wisconsin, and worked in the lumber
woods of that state a few years. In 1858 he and his brother, Porter D., purchased the old homestead of 105
acres, on which they now reside. Here he followed farming up to 1866, when he and Newbury Cloos, Jr.,
build a sawmill on Losey Creek. He followed that business up to December, 1894, quite successfully. Mr.
Shaff has been identified with many of the leading industries of the county, and every dollar he now
possesses was earned by hard work and rigid economy. He was married September 6, 1861, to Amarilla
Cloos, eldest child of Newbury Cloos, Jr. She was born in Deerfield township, April 1, 1844, and is the
mother of three children, viz: George, deceased; George N., a resident of Belmont, New York, and Sophia
E., wife of Matthew Haskell, of Middlebury township. IN politics, Mr. Shaff is a Democrat, and has served
as school director three years. He is a member of the K. of H., and one of the enterprising farmers of the
community.

GILBERT B. OWLETT, SR. was born in Kent county, England, April 11, 1799. His father, Thomas
Owlett, was a farmer, and the son adopted the same vocation. In 1822, he married Miss Martha Pope, and
in 1831 came with his family to the United States, locating in Saratoga county, New York. Later he
removed to Otsego county, New York, and in 1840 came to Tioga county, Pennsylvania, and purchased a
farm of 140 acres on the line of Chatham and Middlebury townships. Here he resided until his death,
August 22, 1877. His farm then passed into the possession of his son Benjamin, and is still owned by him.
Mr. Owlett was thrice married. His first wife died in 1851, leaving eleven children, as follows: Thomas M.,
deceased farmer of Chatham township; Martha, wife of Edwin Temple, of Corning, New York; Gilbert B.,
a retired farmer, Keeneyville; Jane, widow of Charles Cloos; Mary Ann, wife of Albert Foote; Mrs.
Rebecca Foote, of Elkland; Susan, wife of James Hamilton, of Jackson township; John, a deceased farmer
of Chatham; Sally A., wife of Charles H. VanDusen; Benjamin, a retired farmer, Keeneyville; and Joseph,
a farmer of Chatham. His second wife, Mrs. Phila Lee, was a daughter of Julius Seely. She died in 1860,
leaving two children: Henry J., of Horseheads, New York, and Edward Howland, an attorney of Wellsboro.
His third wife, Mrs. Adelia VanOsten, nee Ford, survived him a few years. Mr. Owlett was a representative
pioneer farmer. Rugged physical powers, practical wisdom and strict integrity were his distinguishing
characteristics. When he came to Tioga county he took possession of an uncleared tract of land in an almost
unbroken wilderness. At the time of his death five of his sons were settled on adjoining farms, the family
possessions embracing over 1,000 acres of land.

GILBERT B. OWLETT, retired farmer, Keeneyville, was born in Kent county, England, June 26, 1826,
and was five years old when the family came from England to the United States, and fourteen when they
settled in Middlebury township, Tioga county. Here he grew to manhood, and at the age of twenty-two
years purchased a farm of eighty-two acres of heavily timbered land in Middlebury township. This has
since been cleared, added to and improved, until his present farm embraces 225 acres, and is one of the best
in this part of the county. In 1890 Mr. Owlett rented his farm and moved to Keeneyville, where he
purchased a hotel property, which he has since remodeled and fitted up as a residence. Mr. Owlett has been
twice married. In 1848 he married Sarah Temple, a daughter of Maj. Russell Temple, of Chatham
township, who bore him three children, viz: Jane, wife of Lawrence Martin, of Farmington; James H., a
farmer of Chatham; and Madella, wife of Charles O. Churchill, of Chatham township. Mrs. Owlett died
June 9, 1888. On March 14, 1895, Mr. Owlett married Julia Roushy, a daughter of Jacob Roushy, of
Chemung county, New York. In politics, a Republican, he is one of the prominent and substantial citizens
of Middlebury.




  14.61.2   1897 Tioga County History                           http://www.rootsweb.com/~srgp/1897/ch6
            Chapter 61 Part Two - Biographies                   1b.htm




                                      -5–
C:\Docstoc\Working\pdf\58a567be-1fa6-47bf-9810-e9d52afffa82.doc
CLOOS/CLOSE sources

NEWBURY CLOOS, SR., a native of the Mohawk valley, New York, came with his father, Reuben Cloos,
a native of Scotland, to the Cowanesque valley in 1807, and settled in what is now Deerfield township,
Tioga county, Pennsylvania, where he cleared and improved a farm. The records show that he acquired title
to his land on January 1, 1908. He was twice married. His first wife, Esther Short, was the mother of eleven
children, as follows: Reuben, Polly, who married George Parker; Abel, Matilda, whose first husband was
William Falkner, and second husband, Barney Daniels; Sophia, who married Charles Avery, an early settler
of Chatham township; Hannah, who became the wife of Daniel D. Church; Armon, David, Ambrose,
Newbury, and Esther, who married Henry F. Daniels, all of whom are dead except Mrs. Daniels. Mrs.
Cloos died October 2, 1829, and her husband married Mrs. Patty P. Reynolds, who survived him three
months. He died May 7, 1853, in his eighty-first year, and his wife, Patty P., August 7, following in the
eighty-third year of her age.

DAVID CLOOS, a son of Newbury and Esther Cloos, was born in Deerfield township, Tioga county,
March 7, 1809, and was reared on the old homestead. He cleared and improved a farm in his native
township, and in December, 1840, removed to Westfield township, where, with the exception of two years
that he occupied the old homestead in Deerfield , he resided until his death July 12, 1853. From December,
1840, to April, 1847, he was proprietor of a hotel in Westfield, after which period he devoted his whole
attention to farming. He married Maria Sweet, of Deerfield township, who bore him twelve children, eleven
of whom grew to maturity, viz: Ambrose, Noah, Marietta, wife of Elias H. Clark; Amelia, wife of Robert
R. Parshall; Matilda, wife of Albert W. Potter, A. Byron, Bernard, Burnett, Marie, wife of G. A. King, and
Cora, wife of George Trim.

AMBROSE CLOSE, originally spelled "Cloos," is the oldest son of David and Maria Cloos. He was born
in Deerfield township, Tioga county, March 4, 1835, and came to Westfield with his parents when but five
years of age. He was reared in Westfield, and educated at Union Academy and Alfred University. For
twenty years he was engaged in the mercantile business at Westfield, and three and a half years at Elkland,
and for forty years he has been more or less engaged in farming. Mr. Close was married March 12, 1861, to
Ann V. Secord, a daughter of Gilbert S. and Sophia (Marsh) Secord, of Westfield, who bore him one son,
Roy, who died February 2, 1881, in his fifteenth year. Mrs. Close died November 9, 1891, aged fifty-nine
years. She was an attendant of the Universalist church, a charitable and kind neighbor, and a good wife and
mother, who enjoyed the love and esteem of all who knew her. Mr. Close has liberally supported the
churches of Westfield, more especially the Universalist church. He is an ardent Republican, has been
burgess of Westfield for several terms, and has also filled other local offices. He is recognized as one of the
representative citizens of the borough, in which the greater portion of his life has been passed.




  14.60.3    1897 History - Chapter 60 Part Three -               http://www.rootsweb.com/~srgp/1897/ch6
             Biographies                                          0c.htm




NEWBURY CLOOS, youngest son of Newbury Cloos, Sr., was born in Deerfield township, Tioga county,
in 1827. He received a good common school education and taught during his early manhood. He
subsequently purchased a farm in Middlebury township, and for many years was one of the prominent and
successful farmers of that locality. He married Cynthia Church, to which union were born eight children,
viz: Amarilla, wife of Henry J. Shaff, of Middlebury township; Rhoda, wife of Hiram Kilbourne, of
Wellsboro; Esther and Sophia, both deceased; Jane, widow of C. K. Palmer, of Middlebury; D. Wilmot and
Julia, both deceased, and Luther N., a well known physician of Keeneyville. Mr. Cloos died on his farm in
Middlebury, February 22, 1875.

LUTHER NEWBURY CLOOS, physician and surgeon, Keeneyville, was born in Middlebury township,
Tioga County, May 5, 1860, and is the youngest son of Newbury and Cynthia Cloos, and grandson of

                                      -6–
C:\Docstoc\Working\pdf\58a567be-1fa6-47bf-9810-e9d52afffa82.doc
CLOOS/CLOSE sources

Newbury Cloos, Sr. He received his primary education in the district schools of his native township, and
later attended the State Normal School, at Mansfield, where he completed his studies. He read medicine
under Dr. Augustus Niles, and graduated at the Baltimore Medical College in the spring of 1893. He soon
afterwards purchased the residence and practice of his preceptor, and enjoys a large and lucrative business.
Dr. Cloos makes a specialty of the diseases of women and of the eye and ear, in which he has been highly
successful. On May 1, 1884, he married Cora L. Hazlett, a daughter of Amariah Hazlett, of Middlebury
Center, and has one son, David Wilmot. Mrs. Cloos is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church. In
politics, Dr. Cloos is a Democrat, and is also a member of the I. O. O. F., and the K. O. T. M., and the I. O.
T. M., for all of which he is the local medical examiner.

REUBEN H. CLOSE was born at Locke, Cayuga county, New York, November 20, 1832, a son of Peter
M. and Lucretia (Holmes) Close. He came with his parents to Tioga county, Pennsylvania, and settled in
the southeastern part of Farmington township, on the farm now occupied by E. W. Close. He remained at
home until his majority, and for a few years after he was engaged in the nursery business at Elmira, New
York. On September 15, 1861, he enlisted in Company H, Forty-fifth Pennsylvania Volunteers, and soon
after entering the service he was commissioned second lieutenant of that company. He was, however, taken
sick and was honorably discharged for disability about a year later. Mr. Close was married February 16,
1864, to Esther O. Hurlbut, a daughter of Lyman and Caroline (Scoville) Hurlbut, of Lawrence township, to
which union have been born the following children: Carrie H., wife of Frank M. Leonard, a lawyer of
Wellsville, New York; Mary A., Randolph R., who died at the age of twenty four; William E., Mead P.,
Fred, deceased, and one that died in infancy. Mr. Close was engaged in merchandising at Farmington Hill
for a few years after the war, and later purchased a farm of 110 acres, where he has since resided, owning
one of the best improved farms in the township. He devotes his whole attention to the cultivation and
improvement of his land, and makes a specialty of fruit growing. He has served as a school director for
twenty five years, being either secretary or treasurer of the board during this period, with the exception of
one year, and has also filled the offices of assessor or assistant assessor for fifteen years and those of
township clerk or treasurer for ten consecutive years. Mrs. Close is a member of Farmington Hill
Presbyterian church. He is connected with the Masonic order, and is also a charter member of Wallace
Bogart Post, No. 362, G. A. R., of Nelson.




    12.20    “History of Tioga County Pennsylvania 1883” –          http://www.rootsweb.com/~srgp/1883/ch
             Charleston                                             arlhst.htm




                           COMPANY I 45TH REGIMENT PA. VOLUNTEERS.

Officers. - Captains: Francis M. Hill, William Chase, Charles M. Hart. First lieutenants: George D. Smith,
James E. Catlin. Second lieutenants: George M. Ackley, James Cole, De Witt C. Hoig, Andrew Strong.
First sergeants: Martin G. Clark, Samuel Haynes, Edwin B. Carey, Decatur Dickinson. Sergeants: William
Hoffman, John Hancock, Justus D. Strait, Philo Carle, John B. Emery, Alonzo Bordon, Malcom A. Royce.
Corporals: Warden E. Tyler, Walter E. Marsh, Manning C. May, Albert Saxbury, Abram C. Ellsworth,
John L. Johnson, Lyman Hancock, Charles F. Reed, John H. Buckley, Wright Redington, Darius Kriner,
Ovid H. Andrews. Musicians: Emanuel E. Hipple, Charles H. Strait.

Privates. - James Adams, Henry Albright, John S. Button, Peter Boyle, James A. Buck, Lewis Baker, John
Barr, Dwight Blackmore, Seth D. Baxter, Selah J. Barnes, Warner Button, John S. Beach, Jasper Bowker,
Zadoc Butler, Burton Brown, William V. Borden, Lewis Bacon, John W. Carle, Newberry Close, Joseph
Cahn, Joseph Cowden, John Clarey, Jehiel Case, Ransford Campbell, Robert Cooper, Amasa Dodge,
Selden B. Dimmick, Samuel M. Donley, John Dietrich, James S. Donley, Eli Dickens, George Duncan,
Thomas Degan, Alva Dickens, Charles C. Edson, Harrison D. Eastman, James English, Joseph O. English,


                                      -7–
C:\Docstoc\Working\pdf\58a567be-1fa6-47bf-9810-e9d52afffa82.doc
CLOOS/CLOSE sources

Lewis Elliott, Henry A. Elliott, Chester Ellis, George C. English, George English, John A. Fletcher, Charles
Francis, Joseph Finne, Charles Fosk, John Gillispie, Albert M. Handy, Charles H. Howel, Abram E. Hahn,
Henry Humphrey, Theodore Helter, Levi H. Hahn, Francis Handy, William H. Hardy, Harvey Hayes, Ellis
P. Hotelling, Charlton Handy, Alexander Henry, Absalom Hunsinger, Charles Hulburtson, James
Hampson, Allen Hotelling, John Huch, Sylvester Houghton, George Hawks, Amos Jillison, James E.
Johnson, Darius Johnson, John J. Johnson, James E. Jones, Stephen F. Kennedy, John Kirkpatrick, Thomas
Lawton, Warren Lawton, Dominick Lynch, Lewis E. Long, William Lloyd, David Langdon, Washington
Lanison, Thomas Lanning, Thomas D. Marsh, John P. Miller, Patrick Maney, Edwin E. Mills, Lewis
Myers, James Morton, George S. Mattison, Thomas Mulvaney, Noah C. Morton, Marsh M. Maynard,
William Mores, Christopher Miller, Charles McGee, Spencer Newberry, Hiram Niver, Silas Niver, James
Nabel, Jeremiah Overdurf, Robert S. Orr, Warren Owens, John Phillips, William Parry, Levi Pritchard, C.
O. Pemberton, Eugene B. Root, John Rowland, George M. Rexford, Frederic Ross, William Rollier, John
Reily, Joseph Reibsam, Rhesa I. Reynolds,, Edwin Roice, Jason Remington, Daniel M. Shelley, James
Summerville, Charles Sands, Porter R. Sherman, Charles E. Sewell, Horace S. Sawyer, Harmon H. Sawyer,
Henry Smith, Samuel Stumpff, Harry Schmidt, Warren D. Stone, Cornelius Saxbury, Michael Smith,
Stephen Strait, Charles B. Sofield, Henry Traverse, Jacob M. Trayer, William H. Thompson, Charles H.
Townshend, Samuel J. Vanhosen, Albert Waters, Robert A. Williams, Alexander Wands, William A.
Watrous, Erastus Wilson, Jehial H. Wood, Frederic Williams, Palmer B. Watkins, John Wilkinson, Rook
Wilkinson, Robert Williams, Francis L. Wilcox, Milan D. Wilson, Samuel Young, William Zimmerman.


    12.21   “History of Tioga County Pennsylvania 1883” –          http://www.rootsweb.com/~srgp/1883/ch
            Charleston – Biographies                               arlbio.htm



CHARLES CLOSE, of Round Top, was born in Chatham, Pa., in 1826. In 1847 he married Miss Ann
Owlett, of Chatham, a native of England. They have five children living. Mr. C. is a merchant, the
postmaster, and proprietor of the Round Top cheese factory. He came to Round Top in 1857, from
Westfield. He has been a magistrate ten years. His father, Newbury Cloos, settled in the Cowanesque
Valley in 1804; was a large land owner, and a magistrate many years.

FRANK C. PEAKE, son of Elijah and Nancy Peake, was born in Charleston, in 1855. He is a farmer. He
married Miss Ella Close, of Chatham, in 1878. His father was a native of Onondaga county, N.Y., and
settled in Charleston in 1836. Has three children living.




    12.22   “History of Tioga County Pennsylvania 1883” –          http://www.rootsweb.com/~srgp/1883/ch
            Chatham                                                athhst.htm



There were in 1880 14 schools in the township, where 258 male and 239 female scholars were instructed on
an average seven months. The reannexing of a portion of the township recently to Deerfield has lessened
the number. Among the old teachers of the township were Stephen Wade, Stephen Martin, Miss Susie
Gibson, Daniel Vandusen, Mary Vandusen, and Polly Close. The first school-houses in the township were
roughly constructed; but for the last fifteen years much progress has been made in the selection of sites and
in the character of the edifice.

Among the early settlers on Crooked Creek were W. L. Merrick, William Spalding, Doctor Harvey Leach,
John Short, Asa Short, Rennselaer Toles, Robert Hill, Nehemiah Beach, H. B. Leonard, David Lesure,
Lovell Short, George Hawley and Daniel Hill. North of the creek, in the Close district, were Caleb Close,
Charles Avery, Reuben Close, Armand Close, Abel Close, Amasa Clark, Samuel Miller, John Macumber,

                                      -8–
C:\Docstoc\Working\pdf\58a567be-1fa6-47bf-9810-e9d52afffa82.doc
CLOOS/CLOSE sources

William Wass, Russell Humphrey, ------ Chappell, Russell Temple, Sylvester Treat and Benjamin
Vandusen. In the southern portion the early settlers were Benoni Hill, who settled on the farm now owned
by Alexander Wass; Z. Burdick on the place now owned by William Wass jr.; Frank Spencer, on the farm
owned by John Reynolds; Aurora Spencer, on the farm of Elisha Smith, of Tioga; Calvin Davis, on the
place owned by Elisa Davis; ------ Barnes, on the farm now owned by C. W. Avery; Moses Wilhem, on the
farm now owned by George Wheeler; Joseph, Whitney and Calvin Wheeler. The farm now owned by
Charles Lane was first occupied by Alexander Holmes. Jesse Moffett settled on lands now owned by Miner
Jackson; Azarish Slocum on land owned now by E. Carpenter; Samuel Main on lands now owned by Mrs.
S. P. Beach. Other settlers were Artemus Crippin and Charles Fuller.

The mills now in the township are N. Beach & Son's steam saw and grist mill, Bennett & Dimon's steam
saw-mill, Reuben Close's portable saw-mill, L. McConnell & A. Wass's steam shingle and cider-mill and a
water power shingle-mill owned by Reuben Close; and a steam grist and saw-mill to be erected at Little
Marsh by Bennett & Dimon.

Little Marsh, No. 2,262, Knights of Honor was instituted July 1st 1880, by D. W. Avery, district deputy,
with the following officers: John W. French, dictator; Philip Close, vice-dictator; C. Beach, assistant
dictator; J. E. Doane, reported; John Youmans, financial reporter; Simon Spalding, treasurer; Benjamin
Morse, chaplain; Warren McConnell, guide; Milo Trumbull, guardian; Philip Close, S. P. Beach and
Orange Connelly, trustees. The lodge organized with 34 members. Several have taken cards of withdrawal
in order to join lodges nearer them and also to institute new lodges.

The present officers are: A. Rice, dictator; Philip Close, assistant dictator; Alfred Slocum, vice-dictator; J.
W. French, reporter; S. P. Beach, financial reporter; S. Spalding, treasurer; George Manning, chaplain;
Milo Trumbull, guide; H. C. Brague, guardian; Henry Wesmiller, sentinel; Dr. B. J. Fulkerson, medical
examiner; J. E. Doane, past dictator; Philip Close, S. P. Beach and Orange Connelly, trustees.




    12.23    “History of Tioga County Pennsylvania 1883” –           http://www.rootsweb.com/~srgp/1883/ch
             Chatham – Biographies                                   athbio.htm




     CHATHAM AND CLYMER TOWNSHIPS, WESTFIELD TOWNSHIP AND BOROUGH.

RANDOLPH CHURCHILL was born April 22nd 1828, at Ithaca, N.Y. His wife was Fanny Close, of
Chatham. Mr. Churchill is a farmer, living in Chatham.

BENJAMIN OWLETT is one of the foremost farmers of Chatham township, of which he is a native. He
was born May 26th 1842, and married Miss W. Beeman, of Middlebury Center.

THOMAS OWLETT, farmer, came in 1831 from England, where he was born September 23d 1823. In
1839 he came to Chatham township. He married Mary West in 1847. She died in 1866, and in December
1868 he married Martha J. Avery.




                                      -9–
C:\Docstoc\Working\pdf\58a567be-1fa6-47bf-9810-e9d52afffa82.doc
CLOOS/CLOSE sources




    12.30   “History of Tioga County Pennsylvania 1883” –          http://www.rootsweb.com/~srgp/1883/de
            Deerfield                                              erhist.htm


Note: LOTS of useful information about the history of deerfied twp.

                                      LANDS AND SETTLEMENTS.

The next year after the arrival of these pioneer families (1800) a child was born to each - Sally Seelye
(tenth and youngest child of Ebenezer, and afterward wife of Prince King), and James, son of William
Knox. These were the first white children born in the Cowanesque Valley.

From this time forward settlers came into the township freely. Bethlehem Thompson was among the first.
He settled where Emmer Bowen now resides, but soon sold his possession to Reuben Cook. In 1803 John
Howland and his son Eddy came and settled where Eddy Howland the younger now resides. In 1807,
Emmer Bowen sen. Bought a possession of Jesse Rowley, and subsequently the right of soil, where
Benjamin Salsbury Bowen now resides. During the year 1807 Emmer Bowen, Newbury Cloos, James,
John and William Fulkner, John Short, Reuben Short, Jonathan M. Rogers and Curtis Cady bought farms.
So also about the same time did Zadoc Bowen, David Short, James Yarnall and Joshua Colvin. Besides
these were several families who occupied and improved lands as squatters, without acquiring title.

With the year 1809 we close the pioneer period. Yarnall came from Philadelphia, and the Bowens,
Howlands, Clarks and Colvins from Rhode Island. Nearly all of the early settlers came from the eastern
States, whose sterile soil they were glad to exchange for the more fertile fields and milder climate of the
Cowanesque Valley. To acquire these they had to undergo the privations of pioneer life, and they met their
hardships with manly courage and womanly endurance.

…

In 1830 Reuben Cloos built the first saw-mill on Yarnall Brook, near the present residence of Isaac Sutton.
It was rigged with a flutter wheel and a single upright saw.

…

Soon after 1840 A. William, J. Knox built the first store at Academy Corners. About it as a nucleus the
hamlet has grown up. In this store, which is still standing (1822), there has been a succession of merchants,
about as follows: 1840, William J. Knox: 1842, Andrew Beers: 1847, William A. Fulkner; 1856, Jeremiah
Stoddard; 1858, J.B. Payne; 1861, G.B. Gridley; 1863, Brown; 1864, Charles R. Howland; 1865, Purple &
Buckbee; 1869, Matthias Marlat; 1870, Joseph B. Payne; 1872; Asa D. Taft; 1874, Burnette Close; 1881,
W.A. Falkner.

                                                SCHOOLS.

The first school opened in the Cowanesque Valley was in Deerfield. It was taught by Betsey Bodwell
afterward wife of John Hovey) in 1802-3. The school-house was near the burying ground at Carpenter's. It
was about 18 feet square, built of logs and very low between joints. It was covered with a cobbed roof and
floored with puncheons, and the benches were split basswood logs with legs. The fire was built upon a
hearth against a back wall. There were no jambs to the fireplace, and the smoke escaped through a hole in
the roof. The scholars who attended this school were Reuben Cook, Asahel Rexford, Harvey Seelye, John

                                      - 10 –
C:\Docstoc\Working\pdf\58a567be-1fa6-47bf-9810-e9d52afffa82.doc
CLOOS/CLOSE sources

Knox, David Rexford, Elanson Seelye, Archibald Knox, Abel Cloos, Anna Seelye, William Knox, Matilda
Cloos, Mehetabel Seelye, Betsey Knox, Julius Seelye, Lucina Seelye and Betsey Steelye.

                                          MILITARY ACTION

At the time Buffalo was burned by the British in 1814 Newbury Cloos, John Knox, Charles Carpenter,
Charles Costley, Elanson Seelye and Eleazer Seelye volunteered to serve against the enemy, and went to
Big Tree to tender their services. John Howland conveyed the party there home again. Their services were
not needed.

                                         TOWNSHIP RECORDS.

The records of Deerfield are meager and incomplete, but so far as it has been possible we have gleaned the
names of the men who have watched over its interests and administered its finances:

…

Auditors.--Zadoc Bowen, 1815, 1816, 1820, 1821, 1823; Archibald Knox, 1815, 1819; Henry B.
Trowbridge, 1815, 1818, 1819; Amsa Smith, 1816, 1822-25, 1829; Nathaniel Seelye, 1816-18; Luke Scott,
1816, 1817, 1822; Jesse Lapham, 1817; Daniel Cummings, 1817, 1818; Nathaniel Mann, 1819; Jonathan
Bonney, 1820; Arnold Hunter, 1820; Aaron Alba, 1821, 1823, 1830, 1831; William Knox, 1821; John
Knox, 1822-25, 1828; Eddy Howland, 1822, 1824, 1825; John Goodspeed, 1824, 1825, 1827, 1832, 1833;
Silas Billings, 1826; Joshua Colvin, 1826; Eli D. Abbott, 1826; Benjamin D. Smith, 1827; Julius Seelye,
1827; George T. Frazer, 1828; William Falkner, 1828; James Knox, 1829-32, 1836; Hiram Gilbert, 1829,
1834, 1835; John Howland 3rd, 1831, 1833; Victor Case, 1833-35; Martin Bowen, 1836, 1837; Archibald
Knox, 1837-39; Eleazer Clark, 1837-40; Newbury Cloos, 1838-40; Barna Daniels, 1840-42; Eddy
Howland 1841, 1843, 1846-48, 1852, 1856-58, 1861-66; Benjamin S. Bowen, 1843-45, 1850, 1851; John
Knox, 1842-45, 1850, 1851, 1853; Daniel Angell, 1844, 1847; Allen Frazer Jr., 1846-48; Emmer Bowen,
1849, 1860, 1861; Hermon Temple, 1849; John Howland, 1852-55, 1868. 1869; A. H. Bacon, 1852, 1853;
E. Seely, 1854; Eleazer S. Seely, 1855, 1856, 1862-64; Newton Bulkley, 1856; James Knox 1857-59, 1867-
71; Ansel Purple, 1858-60; Charles Toles, 1859, 1861, 1867; Emmer Bowen, 1860, 1861; Alonzo Lee,
1864-66, 1870-72; Hiram E. Potter, 1865; W.W. Gilbert, 1867-71; Joseph S. Ingham, 1872, 1873, 1875-77,
1879-82; Eddy Howland, 1872-76, 1879; Chester B. Hoyt, 1873, 1874, 1877, 1878; Charles Bulkley, 1874;
Menzo W. Knox, 1877-82; Daniel H. Lee, 1881, Charles R. Rice, 1882.

                                               CEMETERIES.

William Knox, the pioneer of the township, is buried in this ground in an unmarked grave. We copy a few
inscriptions:

"D. Closs D. AUG 13 1826 AE. 84."

"R Cloos D. FEB THE 14 1826 AE 83."

"Isreal Bulkley died Jan. 18 1828, aged 66."

"Lucy wife of Isreal Bulkley died April 3rd 1844, aged 76 yr. 3 mo. 11 days.

                                       "Jesus can make a dying bed
                                      Feel soft as downy pillows are"

"Rev. David Short died November 25 1842, aged 68 yrs. 11 mos. 13 days."


                                      - 11 –
C:\Docstoc\Working\pdf\58a567be-1fa6-47bf-9810-e9d52afffa82.doc
CLOOS/CLOSE sources

"Sally wife of David Short died Dec. 21 1851, aged 71 yrs. 6 mos. 28 days."

"William Knox died Jan. 3 1832, aged 40 yrs. 3 mos. 23 days."

"John Knox died April 28 1867, aged 75 yrs. 4 mos. 10 days."

"Mary wife of John Knox died April 9 1862, aged 71 yrs. 9 mos. 14 days.

                               "Dear mother, in the silent hours of night,
                                 When stars around me shed their light,
                                 I think of thee and feel thy spirit near,
                             With smile to bless and kindly words to cheer."

"Cyprian Wright died Nov. 8 1835, aged 69 yrs. 5 mos. 28 days."

"Esther wife of Cyprian Wright died may 17 1835, aged 64 yrs. 3 mos. 7 days."

"Harriet wife of Ira Bulkley died May 2 1832, aged 27 yrs. 7 mos. 22 days,"

"George Bulkley died Jan. 25 2867, aged 65 yrs, 3 mos. 27 days."

"Hiram Bulkley died June 6 1860, aged 53 years.

                                 "Dear husband, thou art gone, we know,
                                        To mansions of the blest,
                                   Where trails, sins and mortal woe
                                       Can ne'er disturb thy rest."

"Luther G., son of Hiram and Mindwell G. Bulkley, died Oct. 311862, while in defense of his country.

                                        "Thou too must now yield;
                                         To my withering breath;
                                        Come away, gentle youth,
                                        I am Death--King Death."

"Joseph Falkner died Nov. 18 1837, aged 56 yrs. 2 mos. 1 day."

"Newbury Cloos died May 7 1853, aged 80 yrs. 10 mos. 20 days."

"Esther wife of Newbury died Oct. 2 1829, aged 53 yrs. 3 mos. 8 days."

"Patty P., 2nd wife of Newbury Cloos and widow of S.Reynolds, died Aug. 7 1853, aged 82 yrs. 3 mos. 23
days."

    12.42   “History of Tioga County Pennsylvania 1883” –          http://www.rootsweb.com/~srgp/1883/fa
            Farmington                                             rmingt.htm


Passing down the valley of Cummings Creek from George Hall's, on the summit of the hill, one has an
opportunity to see the old Gee farm, owned by James and Robert Gee, and the farms of Edward Close,
James Robb, Joseph McCallum, Joshua McCallum, John McCallum, Alwert D. Kempt, Euclid White, J.R.
White, A. Wheeler, ---- Ellison, Frederick Cady, William Hoyt, William Pierce, James Preston, Hazard

                                      - 12 –
C:\Docstoc\Working\pdf\58a567be-1fa6-47bf-9810-e9d52afffa82.doc
CLOOS/CLOSE sources

Young and G.W. Maynard, all of which are in a fine state of cultivation. E. Fish, Alanson Hoyt, Joseph
Hoyt and Justus Leonard also own farms between the two roads, which run nearly parallel to each other to
the Crooked Creek road, where they unite with the public road leading to Wellsboro.

…

The vote at the latest election for officers of this township was given as follows in a Wellsboro paper:

Supervisors--Frank Dunham, 132: J.R. Smith, 134; I.G. McCallum, 1.

Justice of the peace--E.D. Fish, 92; I. Leonard, 39.

Constable--E.W. Close, 132.

School directors--D.C. Kemp, 83; Frank Davenport, 124; J.B. Redfield, 89; Thomas Hill, 85; William
Hoyt, 2.

Assessor--A.D. Kemp, 132.

Assistant assessors--R.H, Close, 132; Alva Baxter, 132.

Town clerk and treasurer--J.E. White, 134.

Judge of election--Daniel Allen, 134.

Inspectors of election--E.J. Hall, 102; Charles Mourie, 32.




    12.43    “History of Tioga County Pennsylvania 1883” –          http://www.rootsweb.com/~srgp/1883/fa
             Farmington - Biographies                               rmibio.htm




JOHNSON BUTTS was born in Canterbury, Windham county, Conn., in 1790, and is supposed to have
located in Tioga county about 1811, with his brother Loren. For many years he kept a high school in his
own house at Lawrenceville. In 1835 he married Miss Lucy Beebe, of that place. Their children are O. L.
Butts and Mrs. P. P. Close, of Farmington. Mr. Butts came to this township in 1841 and lived the rest of
his life on the farm now owned by his son at Farmington Hill. He was largely interested in building the
Presbyterian church, and one of the chief supporters of that society.

…

REUBEN H. CLOSE, son of Peter and Lucretia Close, was born in Locke, Cayuga county, N.Y., in
1833. In 1847 he came with his parents to Tioga county. In 1864 he married Miss Esther Hurlburt, of
Lawrence township, and they have six children. Mr. Close was a lieutenant in Company H 45th Pa. during
the first year of the Rebellion. He has been township clerk and treasurer six years, secretary of the board of
school directors eight consecutive years, and assessor, He is a farmer, owning 80 acres.




                                      - 13 –
C:\Docstoc\Working\pdf\58a567be-1fa6-47bf-9810-e9d52afffa82.doc
CLOOS/CLOSE sources

    12.58    “History of Tioga County Pennsylvania 1883” –           http://www.rootsweb.com/~srgp/1883/m
             Middlebury                                              iddhist.htm


                                         THE FIRST TAX PAYERS.

The first assessment was made December 18th 1823,--H. Beebe, William Knox and Elijah Welch County
commissioners, David Lindsay clerk, and Thomas Boyes assessor. The following were the taxpayers
reported:

   George Abbott, Eben Abbott, Joseph Brown, Allen Baldwin, Michael Clark, Abel Close, Reuben
Close, Abijah Carpenter, Peter Combs, John Camel, Jedediah Carpenter, Ira Cady, James Dickinson,
Richard Gooden, Benjamin Gooden, Calvin Gooden, Jacob Hymes, Roswell Ives, Jacob Kiphart, Israel P.
Keeney, Thomas Keeney, Benjamin Riley, Jesse Losey, Isaac Losey, Edsall Mitchell, James Martin,
William L. Millard, Jedediah Millard, James Maxwell, Erastus Niles, David Sloat, Abr'm Stephens,
Archibald Sloat, Jesse Streeter, Cornelius Saxberry, Asa Short, Amasa Thompson, Elisha White, Henry
Eaton, Thomas Boyes, Edwin Gordon, Samuel Rose, Smith Cornell, Harry Cornell.

The assessor returned to the county commissioners the names of Reuben Close and Benjamin Kelsey as
being suitable persons for the office of collector.

By consulting with a number of the old settlers of the township we have been able to ascertain where a
considerable number of the above named taxpayers resided. George Abbott lived at what is now
Keeneyville; Joseph Brown, Allen Baldwin, Michael Clark, Abel Close, Reuben Close, Abijah Carpenter,
Peter Combs, and John Camel in what is now Chatham township; Ira Cady on Crooked Creek near
Keeneyville; James Dickinson on the hill near the Farmington township line; Richard Gooden near Thomas
Keeney's on Crooked Creek; Benjamin Gooden on a farm now owned by George D. Keeney; Calvin
Gooden on Crooked Creek; Jacob Hymes on Crooked Creek below Hollidaytown; Roswell Ives, Benajah
Ives, and John Ives and near Hollidaytown; Jacob Kiphart near Keeneyville (died in Blossburg, August 6 th
1882, aged 102 years, 8 months and 16 days, after the sketch of his life on pages 251-2 was written); Israel
P. Keeney lived near Hollidaytown, and so did Thomas Keeney; Jesse Losey, who was a Revolutionary
soldier, lived near Keeneyville and is buried in a graveyard at Hollidaytown; Edsall Mitchell lived just
below Hollidaytown on Crooked Creek; James Martin, William I. Millard, Jedediah Millard and James
Maxwell near Jacob Hymes; Erastus Niles at Niles Valley; Jesse Streeter, David Sloat and Cornelius
Saxberry near Keeneyville; Asa Short at Shortsville; Amos Thompson at Thompson's Mills (he built the
first "corn-cracker" on Crooked Creek); Elisha White at Hollidaytown; Thomas Boyes at Keeneyville, on
the present township line between Chatham and Middlebury; Edwin Gordon on Crooked Creek; Samuel
Roe near Keeneyville; Smith Cornell on Crooked Creek, between Keeneyville and Middlebury Center;
Harry Cornell on Crooked Creek; and Benjamin Kelsey, the collector, near Keeneyville.

Keeneyville Lodge, No. 23,160, Knight of Honor was organized with 18 charter members, April 10 th 1880.
The first officers were: Past dictator, Deruyter Avery; dictator. S. Martin Jr.; vice-dictator, H. J. Welteroth;
assistant dictator, E. D. Fish; reporter, William H. Hunt; financial reporter, S. Treat; treasurer, H. J. Shuff;
chaplain, G. D. Keeney; guide, R. B. Ferry; guardian, F. M. Shuff; sentinel, Heber Close; medical
examiner, Dr. Augustus Niles. One death has occurred since the organization, that of Theodore Scott.

                                              ELECTIONS ETC.

The first election in Middlebury Township was held at the house of Benjamin Kelsey, March 19th 1824.
The officers elected were: Supervisors, Reuben Close, Jacob Hymes; auditors, John Short, John Ives 2 nd,
Peter Combs, Thomas Keeney; constable, Jebediah Carpenter; overseers of the poor, Asa Short, Jon Ives
2nd. The judges of election were Thomas Keeney and James Maxwell; clerks of election, Peter Combs,
Benajah Ives. The elections are now held at Middlebury Station.


                                      - 14 –
C:\Docstoc\Working\pdf\58a567be-1fa6-47bf-9810-e9d52afffa82.doc
CLOOS/CLOSE sources




    12.58   “History of Tioga County Pennsylvania 1883” –        http://www.rootsweb.com/~srgp/1883/m
            Middlebury                                           iddhist.htm




MRS. JANE CLOOS PALMER is a daughter of Newberry Cloos (deceased), who was born in Tioga
county in 1813 and was a resident of the county until his death, which occurred in 1880, Mr. Cloos was
married to Cynthia Church, of Troupsburg, N.Y.




    12.84   “History of Tioga County Pennsylvania 1883” –        http://www.rootsweb.com/~srgp/1883/w
            Westfield                                            estftow.htm




Supervisors.--Christopher Sayles, William Ladd, Zena Atkins, George Leonard, John Craig, C. Eastman,
Theodorus Doty, Sylvanus Baker, A.C. Bancroft, Dyer Weeks, Alvin Butler, Charles Goodspeed, Barton
Hunt, John King, Halsey Aldrich, Edmund Guernsey, E.G. Hill, Nelson Burdic, John Barr, S.A. Buck, John
Howland, T.R. Leonard, H.N. Aldrich, A.M. Thompson, James King 2 nd, N.V. Seagars, Arthur Carpenter,
Page Sprague, Emerson Rexford, John Craig, L.H. Knapp, James E. Dodge, William H. Baker, C.D.
Walters, William N. Hulburt, Ira B. Luce, Burton Hunt, John Little, William Lattimer, Frank Strag,
Jonathan Stevenson, James Davis, L.H. King, E.A. Buck, Alonzo Seamans, William Convers, S.R. Haven,
George Close, S.A. Leonard, Jonathan Stevenson, Page Sprague, W.L. Convers,

Town Clerks.--B.B. Strang, C. Eastman, A. Streeter, G.H. Niles, H.N. Aldrich, M.H. Abbey, ambrose
Close, Elisha Turner, William Hulburt, Emerson Rexford, L.H. Knapp.

Justices of the Peace.--Shelden Tuttle, William Ladd, Jocob Everett, Hiram Tubbs, Zaccheus Malloroy,
Charlton Phillips, I.C. Thompson, T.R. Leonard, William Finkner, Francis Strang, George Close.

Town Treasurers.--Richard Krusen, Zena Atkins, Thomas Baker, Hiram Tubbs, H.N. Adrich, Reuben
Short, G.D. Walters, I.C. Thompson, N.J. Burdic, David Close, Jonathan Seamans, Sylvanua Baker,
Theodorus Doty, John Goodspeed, Morris Pritchard, Barton Hunt, A.J. Burdic, John Ackley, Charles Scott,
W.N. Hulburt, Page Sprague, William Lattimer, J.L. Calkins, L.H. Knapp, S.S. Baker, I.C. Thompson, S.R.
Haven, William Convers, John Swimelar, Edwin Darcy, J.P. Stevenson, S.W. Harris, T.R. Leonard,
Sylvanus Baker, A.H. Bostwick, P.E. Rexford, John Champlin, D.H. Sherwood, Orville Brown, Morris
Pritchard.

         901 Shumway Hill Cemetery 1970s                       http://www.rootsweb.com/~srgp/ce
                                                               mt/shumwayh.htm

CLOSE        Charles              3 Feb 1826            16 May 1883
CLOSE        Jane Owlett          4 Apr 1829            15-Mar-16               wife of Charles
CLOSE        Mary F.              15 Jun 1850           5 Dec 1864
CLOSE        Sible A.             22 Aug 1856           23-Nov-64


                                      - 15 –
C:\Docstoc\Working\pdf\58a567be-1fa6-47bf-9810-e9d52afffa82.doc
CLOOS/CLOSE sources



            14                                                        http://www.rootsweb.com/~srgp/1897/ch61a.h
                                                                      tm

ELIAS H. CLARK <../biograph/closclar.htm>, youngest son of Eleazer and Rosamond Clark, was born on the old
homestead in Deerfield township, Tioga county, April 28, 1836, and obtained his education in the common schools
and Union Academy. He has spent his entire life upon the old homestead, which he inherited from his father. He
has been an extensive tobacco grower since 1882, and is a breeder of Holstein cattle, and has been a breeder of
Hambletonian and Percheron horses. Mr. Clark was married May 11, 1862, to Marietta Close, a daughter of David
and Maria (Sweet) Close, of Westfield, Tioga county. Six children have blessed this union, viz: Byron L., Cecil A.,
Rosamond M., Clara E. and Horton E. In politics, Mr. Clark is a Republican, is connected with the E. A. U., and is
recognized as a progressive and enterprising farmer.

CECIL A. CLARK <../1899/brook01.htm>, son of Elias H. and Marietta (Close) Clark, was born on the old Clark
homestead in Deerfield township, Tioga county, February 13, 1864, where he also grew to manhood. He was
educated at the Osceola High School, and since attaining his majority has been engaged in farming. In 1884 he
removed to Brookfield township, remaining there until 1894, when he located in Westfield township, where he has
since been engaged in farming, making a specialty of raising potatoes and buying and selling stock. Mr. Clark was
married December 21, 1885, to Ida Grist, a daughter of Chester and Amanda (Bowman) Grist, of Athens,
Pennsylvania, and has four children, viz: Earl E., Marietta, Ivan L., and Manning. In politics, he is Republican; is a
member of the F. & A. M., and the I. O. O. F., and is one of the successful farmers of the township.




                                      - 16 –
C:\Docstoc\Working\pdf\58a567be-1fa6-47bf-9810-e9d52afffa82.doc

								
To top