College of Engineering
Academic Staff Profile
Full Name Ir. Mokhtar Bin Majid
Staff ID/No. 90010726
Contact No Ext. 2212
Department Mechanical Engineering, COE
1. M.Sc (Eng) Combustion & Pollution Control, The University of Sheffield,
2. B.Sc (Hons.) in Mechanical Engineering, CNAA, Brighton Polytechnic,
1. Reader in the Department of Mechanical Engineering, COE .
Position 2. Head, Centre for Power Plant Technology and Performance Optimization
1. Reader in the Dept of Mechanical Engineering, COE, UNITEN); Period:
01.08.2008 to current.
2. Deputy General Manager (Technical Support), Power Synergy Corporation Co.
Ltd (PSC), Cambodia. Period: 17.05.2007 to 30.06.2008.
Experience 3. General Manager (TNB – IPP Coordinator), Generation Division, TNB Head
Office. Period: 01.09.2005 to 15.05.2007.
4. Deputy CEO/General Manager (Station), Manjung Power Station, TNB
Janamanjung Sdn. Bhd (TNBJ). Seri Manjung, Lumut, Perak. Period:
01.05.2002 to 31.08.2005.
5. Chief Executive, TNB Liberty Power Limited (LPL), Pakistan, (TNB wholly-
owned subsidiary in Pakistan). Period: 01.10.1998 to 30.04.2002.
6. General Manager, (Station), Sultan Ismail Power Station. Paka, Trengganu.
Period: 01.02.1998 to 08.10.1998.
7. Senior Manager (Fuel Management & Logistics), Generation Division, TNB
Head Office. Period: 01.01.1994 to 31.01. 1998.
8. Project Manager, Accelerated Power development Project (APDP), Package A
– KAPAR (Fast supply – Large Gas Turbines) Generation Projects Department,
TNB Head Office. Period: 01.11.1992 to 31.12.1993
9. Senior Project Engineer, Generation Projects Department. Period: 01.1.1989 to
10. Post graduate study in Master of Science in Engineering. Department of
Mechanical and Process Engineering. The University of Sheffield, England.
Period: 26.09. 1987 to 31.02.1988.
11. Senior Mechanical Engineer, Tuanku Jaafar Power Station, Port Dickson.
Period: 08.07.1985 to 25.09.1987.
12. Senior Shift Engineer, Tuanku Jaafar Power Station , Port Dickson. Period:
11.04.1983 to 07.07.1985.
13. Generation Engineer, Generation Operations Department, Head Office. Period:
01.01.1979 to 10.04.1983.
14. Assistant Shift Engineer, Tuanku Jaafar Power Station, Port Dickson. Period:
01.09.75 to 31.12.1978.
MEHB403: Power Generation
Courses COEB432: Principles of Management (POM) – August 2008 to April 2011.
Taught in COEB422: Engineers In Society (EIS)
Uniten MEHM543: Fuel Management for Master’s Program in MME(B).
1. Registered Professional Engineer (P.Eng) Board of Engineers (BEM), since
2. Steam Engineer, Second Grade, DOSH, since 12.05.1986.
3. Corporate Member of The Institution of engineers (MIEM), Malaysia, since
4. Chartered Engineer (C.Eng.) of The Engineering Council, U.K, since
5. Corporate member of The Energy Institute (MEI), U.K, since 26.09.1990.
6. Member of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (MASME), U.S.A,
7. Graduate Member of The Institution of Gas Engineers & Managers, U.K,
1. Power plant performance and efficiency optimization:
Analysis and diagnostic power plant performance and Efficiency; thermal and
cycle efficiency; energy/heat balance and heat rates.
2. Fuels and combustion analysis and optimization: selection of fuels; economics
and analysis on coals, fuel oils, gas and renewables.
3. Fuel supply chains and logistics.
1. Pre-feasibility study for a combined power and seawater desalination facility in
Al-Mukha and potable water pumping and conveyance system to City of Taiz,
Yemen. A project under the “Taiz Environmental Improvement Project” for the
Republic of Yemen. Project period: January 2009 to November 2009.
2. Condition assessment and thermodynamic study on the suitability of upgrading
the gas turbine for existing combined-cycle plant at Connought Bridge Power
Station (CBPS) for TNB. Project period: January 2010 to June 2010.
3. Energy utilization assessment and optimization study of TNB power plants.
Project period: February 2010 to August 2010.
4. Third Party Reviewer in the Development of New Protective Storage
Procedures for TNB Thermal Power Plants. Project period: January and
5. Thermodynamic Study for the Health Monitoring of PD2 Combined-Cycle
Unit at Tuanku Jaafar Power Station. Project period: 8 March 2011 ongoing.
6. Study on Impact of Variations in the Fuel Gas Quality and Specifications to
TNB’s Gas Turbine Power Plants. Project period: 21 April 2011 ongoing.
1. The Development of Novel Approach for Risk Quantification in Coal
J. A. Ibrahim, A.H. Hashim, M. Majid, and R. Mat Tahar. The 4th International
Power Engineering and Optimization Conf. (PEOCO2010), Shah Alam,
Publications Selangor, Malaysia: 23-24 June 2010
2. Risk Quantification in Coal Procurement for Power Generation: The
Development of Supply Shortage Impact Matrix. Jafni A. Ibrahim, Amir H.
Hashim. Mokhtar Majid, Razman M. Tahar. CSSIM, September 2010, Bali.