U.S. Discovers it’s
• This is an allegorical
painting that represents
many of the units
• Label at least three
details in the image that
you think represent
important historical ideas
that might be part of this
Map showing the Louisana
• United States was a tiny country.
• Treaty of Paris-“Won the right to expand”
– Doubled in size w/ Louisiana Purchase
• Not all enthusiastic
– Too big for Democracy
– Give control of government to slave owners
– Didn’t want to be taken over
• Didn’t know much about the West
Painting of Lewis and Clark
• 43 Adventures left in 1804
– Establish friendly relations
– convey message that territory now belonged to
“Great White Father”
– Charged to teach First nations how to inoculate
themselves against smallpox.
– Above all needed to gather knowledge
• Tough trip
– When journals published people had first look at
L & C continued
• Most First Nations good-willed
• Biggest attraction was York
– Appearance was a novelty and news sped ahead of
• Sent back bones, animal skins, live prairie dog
• Joined by French Fur trapper and captive
Shoshone girl name Sacajawea
– Stole from home in Indian war then sold to French
• Endured Snake bites, rapids, hunger, and
grizzly bear attacks
• Reached Pacific then returned to ST. Louis
after 2 years
On the left side….
• Which parts of the
• Make a simple Louisiana territory
sketch of the has the expedition
thought bubbles • What unique
emanating from experiences have
the three figures members of the
and write expedition had?
responses to • Why are the findings
these respective of the expedition
prompts: important to the US?
Recruited by Lewis &
Zebulon Pike entering Santa Fe
• Explorer Lieutenant Zebulon Pike
• Lead expedition up the Mississippi R.
looking for headwaters
• Next expedition was west across Great
• Orders were to take specimens (botanical
& mineral) and bring Comanche captives.
• Went south in Spanish controlled New
Mexico to avoid harsh winter of Rockies
Zebulon Pike con’t
• Accused of being a spy and stripped of his
• Escorted out of Spanish territory
• Wrote a book about his journeys
“described New Mexicans as warm and
• Painted a glowing picture of their land
On the left side of your notes create
for Zebulon Pike that:
1) praises his leadership in exploring
the Southwest from the perspective
of the US government.
WANTED POSTER that:
1) represents the attitudes of the
Spanish authorities toward Pike and
On the left side of your notes create ….
• A COMMEMORATIVE PLAQUE
for Zebulon Pike that:
– praises his leadership in exploring the Southwest
from the perspective of the US government.
• A WANTED POSTER that:
– represents the attitudes of the Spanish
authorities toward Pike and his expedition
Picture showing the opening of the
• Ppl. were streaming across the
• Early settlers cleared the forests to create
• Diverse group:
– land dealers
– Utopian societies (like hippies)
• Cotton Gin accelerated the migration
• Improvements in transportation increased
– National Road
– Steamboats (up river & down river)
Manifest Destiny Personified
• Millions of people moved west between
• Led to the creation of many new states
• As states were added people tended to
believe it was destiny.
• It seemed that God choose their country to
spread freedom and US civilization across
Miss. R. & beyond.
• Would have to overcome First Nations,
Spanish, Mexicans, and British.