APRU World Institute Workshop
“The Role of Universities in Addressing Emerging Public Health Threats
in the Asia Pacific Region."
May 24-26, 2007
School of Public Health, Peking University
Co-director, Center for Refugee and Disaster Response
Professor, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
Johns Hopkins University
MD, Loma Linda University, 1968, MSc, London School of Hygiene and Tropical
Medicine, 1977, Ph.D., University of London, 1988
Health Systems Program
Research and Professional Experience
Dr. Gilbert M. Burnham is the co-director of the Center for Refugee and Disaster
Response at Johns Hopkins. He has extensive experience in emergency preparedness
and response, particularly in humanitarian needs assessment, program planning, and
evaluation that address the needs of vulnerable populations, and the development and
implementation of training programs. He also has extensive experience in the
development and evaluation of community-based health program planning and
implementation, health information system development, management and analysis, and
health system analysis. He has worked with numerous humanitarian and health
development programs for multilateral and non-governmental organizations, regional
health departments, ministries of health (national and district level), and communities in
sub-Saharan Africa, Asia, and Eastern Europe. A major current activity is the
reconstruction of health services in Afghanistan.
Refugees, Disasters, International Health, Community Health and Health Systems,
Building Afghanistan'S Capacity To Address Aids, TB And Malaria: Monitoring And
Care And Maintenance For Liberian Refugees
Contract For Nutritional Assessment East Sudan
Evaluation Of Safe Water System-Fixed Price Subcontract For Technical Support Under
Flagship Course On Health Sector Reform
Health Impact Of Improving Water In Afghanistan
Hiv/Aids Program Assessment
Improving Palestinian Health In Lebanon
Leadership Initiative for Public Health in East Africa
Partner Support For Emergency Malaria And Malaria-Related Disease Prevention And
Control In Liberia
Strengthening Tanzanian Disaster Response
• Robinson C, Lee MK, Hill K, Burnham G. Rising mortality in North Korean households
reported by migrants in China. Lancet,1999;354:291-295..
• Kalter HD, Houssain M, Burnham G, Khan NZ, Saha S, Ali MA, Black RB. Validation of
caregiver interviews to diagnose common causes of severe perinatal and neonatal
illness. Paediatirc and Perinatel Epidemiology, 1999;13:99-113.
• Sheik M, Gutierrez M, Bolton P, Spiegel P, Thieren M, Burnham G. Deaths among
humanitarian workers BMJ, 2000;321:166-8.
• Kipp W, Kamugisha J, Jacobs P, Burnham G, Rubable T. Cost-sharing in Kabarole
district, western Uganda: communities’ and health professionals perceptions about
health financing. Journal of Health and Population in Developing Countries, 2000;2:30-
• Seet B, Burnham G, Fatality trends in United Nations Peacekeeping Operations, 1948-
1998. JAMA. 2000;284:598-60.
• Burnham G, Abdallah S. The Johns Hopkins and Red Cross / Red Crescent Public
Health Guide for Emergencies. Johns Hopkins University, 2000.(book)
• Spiegel, P. Sheik M, Burnham G. Accuracy of health information in 52 refugee camps.
• Kipp W, Kamugisha J, Jacobs P, Burnham G, Rubale T. User fees, health staff
incentives and service utilization in Kabarole District, Uganda. Bulletin of the World
Health Organization 2001;79:1032-1037.
• Robinson C, Len MK, Hill K, Hsu E, Burnham G. Demographic methods to assess
food insecurity: A North Korean case study. Prehospital and Disaster Medicine
• VanRooyen M, Hansch S, Curtis D, Burnham G. Emerging issues and future needs in
humanitarian assistance. Prehospital and Disaster Medicine 2002;16:216-222.
• Burnham G. Maternal Mortality among Afghan refugees. Editorial commentary, Lancet,
2002; 359: 639-40
• Burnham G, Rowley E, Ovberedjo MO. Quality Design: a planning methodology for the
integration of refuge and local health services, West Nile Uganda. Disasters, 2003,
• Burnham G, Pariyo G, Galiwango E, Wabwire-Mangen F. Discontinuation of cost-
sharing in. Bulletin of the World Health Organization, 2004;82:187-95.
• Burnham G, Mbrathu, T. Delivery of Ivermectin. Tropical Medicine and International
• Allan R, Burnham G. Medicine for Refugees. Lancet, 2003 Dec;362 Suppl:s34-5
• Karunakara U, Neuner F, Schauer M, Singh K, Hill K, Elbert T, Burnham G.,
Symptoms of Post-traumatic Stress Disorder amongst Sudanese nationals, refugees
and Ugandan nationals in the West Nile. African Health Sciences,2004;4:83-93.
• Waters H, Rehwinkel, JA, Burnham G. Economic Evaluation of Mectizan Distribution,
Tropical Medicine and International Health, 2004;9:A66-A25.
• Singh, K., Karunakara UK, Burnham G, and Hill KH. Forced Migration and Under-five
Mortality: A Comparison of Refugees and Hosts in Northwestern Uganda and Southern
Sudan. European Journal of Population. in press
• Ahmet A, Edward A, Burnham G. Health indicators for mothers and children in rural
Herat Province, Afghanistan. Prehospital and Disaster Medicine, 2004;19:221-224.
• Nsungwa-Sabitti J, Burnham G, Pariyo G, and the Uganda IMCI documentation team.
Implementing the Integrated Management of Childhood Illness (IMCI) programme in
Uganda Journal of Health and Population in Developing Countries, 5 Nov 2004, 1-15.
• Doocy S, Norrell D, Burnham G. Credit program outcomes: coping capacity and
nutritional status in the food insecure context of Ethiopia. Social Science and Medicine,
• Singh K, Karunakara U, Burnham G, Hill K. Using indirect methods to understand the
impact of forced migration on ling-term under-five mortality. Journal of Biosocial Science,
• Roberts L, Lafta R, Garfield R, Khudhairi J, Burnham G. Mortality before and after the
2003 invasion of Iraq: cluster sample survey. Lancet, 364:1857-64.
• Pariyo G, Gouws E, Bryce J, Burnham G, Improving facility-based care for sick
children in Uganda. Policy and Planning, 2005; Suppl 1:i58-i68
• Rowley E. Burnham G. Protracted Refugee Situations: Parallel Health Systems and
Planning for the Integration of Services. Journal of Refugee Studies, May 2006.
• Smith J, Burnham G. Conception and Death in Afghanistan. Editorial Commentary,
Lancet 2005, Lancet. 2005,365:827-8.
• Doocy S, Norrell D, Teffera S, Burnham G. Outcomes of an Ethiopian Microfinance
Program and Management Actions to Improve Service. Journal of Microfinance,