• Leather, zippered, 3-ring binder
– Plastic sleeves
• Includes resume, samples of work,
newspaper articles, diploma copies, letters
of recommendation, etc.
• A MUST for job interviews!
• Statement of originality & confidentiality
– Declares work as yours. If any group projects,
• Career goals (Don’t put on resume)
– Professional organizations, personal goals
• Skill areas
– Detailed overview of experience & skills
• Examples of work
• Copies of certificates, diplomas, awards,
• Professional memberships, community
• Newspaper articles, etc.
• Reference letters
North Greenville College
(Based on Dr. Toney Parks workshop)
• Highlights education, work experience,
skills, honors, etc.
• Used to obtain employment, entrance to
graduate schools, etc.
• Showcases one’s assets & sets one apart
from the rest!
• List all education, jobs, volunteer work,
• List dates for all these areas
• Organize beginning with most current
• May go back up to 10 years or so.
• Many varieties – Chronological resume
• No right or wrong way
• Many samples on the Internet
• Word – Many templates (Contemporary
• “This is a brochure about you.”
• Objective (optional)
• Special Sections – Skills, publications, etc.
– Use Middle Initial
– Large Font, Bold (Italicize optional)
• Home address & phone
– Use . Instead of -
– Work address & phone (optional)
• Email address
– Professional email
– Check regularly
• Strictly optional
• Tailor to position pursued
• Do not use “entry level”
• May take information from job description
– “Obtain position as Marketing Executive in
which I can best utilize my education,
communication skills and experience.”
• Degree(s) – Do not list high school
• Date of graduation
• Institution, Location
• Minor, Concentration Area, etc.
• GPA (only if 3.0 or higher)
• Honors – Cum laude, etc.
– Bachelor of Science in Biology May 2005
– North Greenville College Tigerville, SC
– Minor: Business GPA: 3.76/4.0
• Work experience, internships, volunteering, etc.
are all possibilities
• Include: Position, company, dates, location
• Give a brief description of everything the job
entailed. (Bullet information) (Past vs. present
– Internship, GHS, Radiology January 2001-Present
– Develop x-rays Greenville, SC
– Assist patients in x-ray room
– Organize charts
• Professional organizations
• Fraternities, etc.
– Leadership positions
• Computer Skills
• Additional Coursework
• Research Experience
• Personal – hobbies – crossword puzzles
• Must relate to job
• Keep only relevant information
• Keep short & concise – tailor to job –
• Avoid using personal information (religious
and political affiliations, etc.)
• Keep track of new information & update
• Should reflect current abilities
• References available upon request.
• Keep separate list of references. Take to
• Make sure willing to serve as references.
Make sure these are positive references!
Wide variety of individuals – 2 personal & 2
If have to mail in letter, give a stamped envelope.
Thank you to reference person!
This is a reflection on you!!!!!
Use thick, appropriately colored resume
(Office supply stores)
white/cream/gray – linen/cotton – 24 lb.
Line up the watermark!
Once Have Job….
• Continue to keep track of achievements.
• Update resume often.
• Keep copies of memos, projects, etc. for