Limericks are given a new twist
in this book with a curly, pig-
1. Draw some pigs like the ones in the book.
2. List some words to describe pigs.
3. Pretend you are a pig. Convince people not to eat you.
1. Have some pigs on the table. Ask child to name something
that rhymes with pig. “Limericks are a rhyming kind of
poetry. Let’s read these funny poems.”
Book Title: The Book of Pigericks
Author: Arnold Lobel Illustrator: Arnold Lobel
ISBN: 0-06-443163-0 # of Text Pages: 39 AR: N/A LEX: N/A
Building Oral Vocabulary
19 passions 21eiderdown 45 botanical
14 Do you think he built his sand castle back?
29 Tell me what you would do if a honeybee landed on your nose?
33 How do you feel when you get soap in your ears?
This resource is provided by THE LEARNING CORPS—Barren County Board of Education, an AmeriCorps project funded in part by the
Kentucky Commission on Community Volunteerism and Service and the Corporation for National and Community Service.
(1) Explain why you liked or didn’t like this book.
(Answer) Any logical answer.
(Follow Up) Name a way to improve it.
(2) Guess why they thin boys steered clear of the tough pig.
(Answer) They were afraid. Any logical answer.
(Follow Up) Name the feelings involved here.
(3) Name the food the pig from New Your ate.
(Follow Up) List other foods that pigs ate.
(4) Recall what the young pig in bed had on his head.
(Follow Up) Describe why people should eat at the table.
(5) Imagine the feelings the pig had about the large fish..
(Answer) Scared, any logical answer.
(Follow Up) List some types of fish.
(6) Guess why the author wrote this book.
(Answer) To be funny, any logical answer.
(Follow Up) Assume you were writing a book, what kind would it be?
(7) Find what the old pig from Van Nuys liked to eat.
(Answer) Cherry Pies.
(Follow Up) Explain how to make a cherry pie.
(8) Repeat the motto of the slow pig from Decatur.
(Answer) “I’ll do it later.”
(Follow Up) Name something you don’t like to do, so you put it off till later.
(9) Explain what a flute is.
(Answer) A musical instrument.
(Follow Up) Which instrument would you like to play?
(10) Remember what the pig form Key West was good at.
(Answer) Sand castles
(Follow Up) Share a time you built something in the sand.