Do Not Touch Dry Ice!! It is frozen carbon dioxide (CO2) with an extremely cold temperature of
negative 109.30. Contact with the skin will freeze cells and cause injury similar to a burn. If contact
does occur, see a doctor if the skin blisters or comes off.
Remember Ventilation!! Working with dry ice in a small space with no ventilation can cause a
human to suffocate. Ensure you have proper ventilation when transporting dry ice in your car, or
when using it in a small room. Dry Ice CO2 is heavier than air and will accumulate in low spaces, so
do not allow children to play on the floor around dry ice. If too much CO2 is breathed, fingernails
and lips will begin to turn blue and breathing will become quick. If this happens, leave the area
containing dry ice.
Buying Dry Ice
Grocery stores sell dry ice. Ask for it when checking out.
It will cost about $2.00 per pound.
Bring a cooler to transport and keep it in.
Dry ice sublimates (melts) at a rate of about 10 pounds per 24 hours.
Do not store it in your freezer because the coldness may tell the thermometer to turn it off.
Playing with Dry Ice
To create fog, place dry ice in hot water for the best effect.
Put out a candle with the fog.
Make a spoon sing by placing it onto the dry ice.
Place a small container of hot water in a carved pumpkin and add dry ice.
Tall narrow containers make it harder for children to reach inside.
Add dish soap to a fog mixture. The bubbles it creates are safe to handle.
With a large bowl of fog mixture, slide a soapy length of fabric across and watch the large
bubble that forms.
Other Uses for Dry Ice
Removing dents from hail damage
Remove floor tile
For more reasons why not to make a dry ice
Learn More bomb, watch others who have gotten hurt on
For more info on using dry ice safely, go to www.dryiceinfo.com.