VIEWS: 18 PAGES: 2 POSTED ON: 11/1/2011
Bermuda's Place In History 1700s 1717 Old Devonshire Church is built on a previous parish church site. 1752 Bermuda, as with the rest of the British Empire, changes from the Julian to the Gregorian calendar. The day after 2nd September becomes the 14th September. 1775 14 Aug: 100 barrels of gunpowder are stolen from the Powder Magazine in St.George's and are shipped to General George Washington in America for the American War of Independence. The culprits, believed to be prominent Bermudians, were never found. 1777 Jun: A Skiff from an American brig lands at Wreck Hill, Sandys Parish. They chase the British sailors guarding the small fort there, spike the guns and hoist the U.S. Flag. A Revolutionary vessel later arrives in support. The British vessel HMS Nautilus stayed in St.George's the entire time. Six days later both vessels sailed. Research has shown that the raid had been led by Bermudians, the Morgans of Southampton Parish. 1778 First permanent British Army garrison is established. This was a direct result of the Bermudian, pro- revolutionary sympathies evidenced in 1777, as well as the need to maintain a strategic point for the British Empire in the North Atlantic with the apprehension over the new upstart nation of America. 1784 Bermuda's first 'postal service' begins when Joseph Stockdale places a letterbox outside his office on Printer's Alley, St.George's. 17 Jan: Bermuda's first newspaper is published, The Bermuda Gazette, edited and printed by Joseph Stockdale. 1 Mar: The Bermuda Gazette reports that snow fell in Bermuda the night before. 1789 The British Admiralty sends two naval Lieutenants, Hurd and Evans, to survey the waters of Bermuda to find a suitable site for a base for the British Navy. 1790 7 May: The Legislature passes an Act that empowers Government to buy lands on the north side of Crow Lane, planned site of the new capital. It is accepted that it will be called Hamilton after Governor Henry Hamilton who had been instrumental in the moving of the capital. The land that had been set aside earlier by past Governor, Daniel Tucker, Tucker's Town, was sold to a group of Bermuda businessmen. First uniform electoral system used. Every voter and candidate for the House of Assembly has to be a registered property owner. 1793 The town of Hamilton is incorporated. Bermuda's own currency, the Ship pennies, come into circulation. The obverse had the effigy of King George III and the reverse had a ship under sail. British currency is also in circulation at this time. Hundreds of French refugees from the slave revolts of Santo Domingo (Haiti) arrive in Bermuda on 'prize' ships. 1795 Under orders from Admiral Sir George Murray and guided by the charts made by Hurd and Evans in 1789, the frigate HMS Cleopatra passes through a channel, called the Narrows, to an area of deep water off St.Catherine's Point, still refered to today as Murray's Anchorage. Admiral Murray recommends the establishment of a Royal Naval base on Ireland Island. 1797 1 Apr: Official incorporation of the Town of St.George. Andrew Durnford becomes the first Mayor. 7 Apr: Bermudian John Graisberry is captured by Spaniards in the Caribbean while sailing a Bermuda boat. He is taken to Cuba and imprisoned for 47 years.
"Bermuda's Place In History"