Docstoc

UNIVERSITY OF BRADFORD

Document Sample
UNIVERSITY OF BRADFORD Powered By Docstoc
					                                                                             DOCUMENT ASPC39/10-11

                              UNIVERSITY OF BRADFORD
           ACADEMIC STRATEGY AND PERFORMANCE COMMITTEE 3
               Minutes of the Meeting held on Wednesday 13th October 2010

Present:              Prof M Cleary (Chair), Dr M Bloj, Ms S Congdon, Ms B Currant,
                      Ms A Darnbrough, Dr S Dixon, Prof R Greene, Ms J Jones,
                      Ms S Kershaw, Prof G Layer, Ms S Marsh, Ms S Matthews,
                      Ms N Mirza, Ms C Moran, Dr I Palmer, Prof N Poku, Mr I Rowe,
                      Mr C Wilson, Prof A Wood.

Apologies:            Prof U Archibong, Prof P Coates, Prof J Lucas, Prof D Pankhurst,
                      Mr A Pearce.

In Attendance:        Ms S Dyson, Ms J Holgate.

Summary of Actions:


Minute     Agenda Item and Action                                                 Responsibility

13.2.2      ASPC Schedule of Business 2010/11                                     MC

            That the ASPC4 strategic discussion would focus on the
            implications of the Comprehensive Spending Review and
            outcomes from the Browne Review of Higher Education Funding

14.1        Buildings and Estates Committee – 12th October 2010                   JL

            That the minutes from the BEC meeting would be presented to
            ASPC4

14.1.4      AUDESAT Self Reporting Tool                                           RCW

            That the AUDESAT would be presented to the Council in
            November, for approval

14.1.5.5    Options Appraisal for the Student Health Centre                       GL

            That a business case for the Polyclinic (M14.1.5.2 refers) would
            be developed and would be presented to future meetings of the
            BEC, ASPC and Council

14.2.5      Learning and Teaching Committee – 22nd September 2010                 GL

            Agreement that this topic should form the basis of a strategic
            discussion to ASPC5 in December



                                                                                                1
15.1.10   Ecoversity – Phase 4                                                    GL

          That an Ecoversity conference, to take place in autumn, would
          continue to increase awareness and involvement in the
          programme

15.2.3    Internal Communications                                                 AD

          That a full discussion took place in relation to the draft, including
          the key priority areas and the phase I action plan and that
          feedback would be forwarded to the Head of Marketing and
          Communications and the Internal Communications Officer

15.2.7    Internal Communications                                                 JH

          That “key messages for communication” would be added to
          future ASPC agendas

15.2.8    Internal Communications                                                 AD

          That a simplified Internal Communications Strategy would be
          presented to a future meeting, for approval

16.1.4    Draft Marketing Strategy 2009-2014                                      AD

          That the draft and its associated EIA, would be presented to
          ASPC4, for approval

16.3.7    University Bursary Scheme                                               GL

          That detailed modelling would be undertaken and presented to
          the Fees, Bursaries and Scholarships Sub-Committee, for
          agreement. Chair’s Action approval would then be taken on
          behalf of the LTC and the ASPC

17.1.1    Update from the Vice-Chancellor                                         AD

          That a holding statement following the Browne Review of Higher
          Education Funding had been produced and that this would be
          circulated to the ASPC, for information

17.1.2    Update from the Vice-Chancellor                                         MC

          That the Comprehensive Spending Review would conclude on
          the 20th October and that an update on its implications would be
          presented as a “strategic issue” to ASPC4 (November)

17.6      Early Report on Student Numbers                                         AD

          That the statistics presented to the ASPC were extracted from
          SAINT on the 11th October. They would continue to be
          monitored by the Director of Academic Administration and an
                                                                                       2
         updated report on student numbers and budgetary
         consequences would be presented to ASPC4

17.7.6   Centralised Timetabling                                         AW

         That a detailed report in respect of CT would be presented to
         ASPC4

17.8     Programme and Projects Update                                   SAD

         That the document was withdrawn and that a full report would
         be presented to ASPC4 in advance of the scheduled Council
         meeting at the end of November

12.09-10 Declaration of Interest
         NOTED: That no declarations of interest were received.

13.09-10 Routine Business
         13.1   Notes from ASPC 2 – 15th September 2010 (Document ASPC23/10-11)
         RESOLVED: That the minutes from ASPC 2 (15th September 2010) were
         approved as a correct record.

         13.2   ASPC Schedule of Business 2010/11 (Document ASPC24/10-11)
         NOTED:

                13.2.1 That Document ASPC24 set out the headline agenda items for
                       2010/11. It was a working document which would be updated as
                       appropriate and re-issued to future meetings;

                13.2.2 That the ASPC4 strategic discussion would focus on the
                       implications of the Comprehensive Spending Review and outcomes
                       from the Browne Review of Higher Education Funding (Action: MC).
         13.3   Chair’s Action Report (Document ASPC25/10-11)
         RESOLVED: That the title of Emeritus Professor was granted in accordance with
         the provisions of the University Ordinances and Regulations to:
         Professor Geoff Tupholme – School of Computing, Informatics and Media

14.09-10 Committee Minutes
         14.1   Buildings and Estates Committee – 12th October 2010 (Oral Report)
         NOTED: That the minutes from the BEC meeting would be presented to ASPC4
         (Action: JL).

                14.1.1 Chair’s Action Report (Document ASPC26/10-11)
         NOTED: A report of the action taken on behalf of BEC to approve the following:
          Additional expenditure on the refurbishment at Woodhall – to proceed with
           scheduled work for week commencing 20th September 2010, at a spend level
           above the approved budget as detailed below:


                                                                                          3
  approved spend budget              £85,000 (BEC July 2010)
  tender price                       £130,875
  additional funds required          £48,315

 Heaton Mount self-catering accommodation – approval to create flexible
  accommodation at Heaton Mount in order to cater for a variety of users,
  including long and short stay self catering options, full year postgraduate
  students, visiting academics, research projects, consultants or overnight stays,
  at a cost of £75,000;
RESOLVED: Approval of the above, as documented in ASPC26/10-11. This
aligned with the powers delegated to the ASPC from Council.

      14.1.2 Building STEM at Bradford – Request for Approval of Early Spend
             (Document ASPC27/10-11)
NOTED:

                14.1.2.1   That the University had obtained £2.8M funding (capital
                           and revenue) from HEFCE’s Strategic Development
                           Fund with £1.5M matching funding via Yorkshire
                           Forward for a project to develop STEM subjects at
                           Bradford;

                14.1.2.2   That Document ASPC27/10-11 requested the release
                           of £50k initial expenditure on the STEM laboratory for
                           fees, design and ground investigation works;

                14.1.2.3   That the BEC, at its meeting on the 12th October 2010,
                           approved the £50k initial expenditure for the new STEM
                           building. This aligned with the powers delegated to the
                           BEC from Council.

      14.1.3 Capital Investment Framework (Document ASPC28/10-11)
NOTED: That the University was required to make a Capital Investment
Framework (CIF) submission to HEFCE every three years in order to receive
capital funding;
RESOLVED: That the second submission, as detailed in Document ASPC28/10-
11, was submitted to HEFCE on the 7th October 2010.

      14.1.4 AUDESAT Self Reporting Tool (Document ASPC29/10-11)
NOTED: That AUDESAT was an estates self-assessment tool-kit which fed into
the CIF submission. It covered the following areas: leadership, strategy, processes,
people, resources and outcomes. The score in each of these had improved in the
three years since the last CIF submission;
RESOLVED: That the AUDESAT would be presented to the Council in November,
for approval (Action: RCW).




                                                                                     4
    14.1.5 Options Appraisal for the Student Health Centre (Oral Report)
NOTED:

             14.1.5.1   That the BEC, at its meeting on the 12th October 2010,
                        had considered the options for the relocation of the
                        Student Health Centre and associated facilities between:
                        i)     the Shearbridge car park with a frontage onto
                               Great Horton Road
                        ii)    a more extensive development on the Listerhills
                               Triangle in collaboration with Mi7;

             14.1.5.2   That a larger and more visionary project was now under
                        consideration for a “Polyclinic” which would house a
                        variety of health-related facilities such as a histology
                        laboratory , a memory clinic, podiatry and imaging in
                        addition to the GP practice, pharmacy and eye clinic
                        originally envisaged;

             14.1.5.3   That the BEC (12th October 2010) recommended that
                        there would be more scope to accommodate a facility of
                        this nature on the Listerhills site and that such a
                        development would be distinctive and make a vital
                        contribution to the Listerhills area on a location
                        adjacent to the new student accommodation at “The
                        Green”;
RESOLVED:

             14.1.5.4   That the ASPC supported the BEC recommendation, as
                        noted above (M14.1.5.3);

             14.1.5.5   That a business case for the Polyclinic (M14.1.5.2
                        refers) would be developed and would be presented to
                        future meetings of the BEC, ASPC and Council (Action:
                        GL);
RECOMMENDED TO COUNCIL:

             14.1.5.6   That the University should plan for the relocation of the
                        Student Health Centre as part of a larger facility on the
                        Listerhills Triangle.

    14.1.6 Media Studio (Oral Report)
NOTED:

             14.1.6.1   That, as discussed by the BEC (12th October 2010),
                        £240k was sought to build a new Media Studio in the
                        Horton Building to replace the facilities that SCIM had
                        used at the National Media Museum;

             14.1.6.2   That this would in part be funded from savings on the
                        rental at the NMM and in part from savings on an
                        unrelated project;
                                                                                    5
         RESOLVED:

                         14.1.6.3   That approval be given to the new Media Studio at a
                                    cost of £240k. This aligned with the powers delegated
                                    to the ASPC from Council.
         14.2   Learning and Teaching Committee – 22nd September 2010 (Document
                ASPC30/10-11)
         NOTED:

                14.2.1 The minutes of the Learning and Teaching Committee held on the
                       22nd September 2010;

                14.2.2 That the ASPC were asked to note the “Employability Strategy –
                       Making Knowledge Work”, attached as appendix 1 to Document
                       ASPC30;

                14.2.3 That the purpose of the paper was to develop a University wide
                       policy based on the strategic commitment to “Making Knowledge
                       Work”. In particular, it focussed on ways in which its past success in
                       relation to graduate employment could be maintained in a changing
                       national context by ensuring a more standardised approach to
                       preparation for employment / work experience opportunities;

                14.2.4 That the views of the ASPC were sought by the 30th November and
                       that Deans were requested to engage their Schools in the
                       consultation process;
         RESOLVED:

                14.2.5 Agreement that this topic should form the basis of a strategic
                       discussion to ASPC5 in December (Action: GL to lead).

15.09-10 Strategic Discussion
         15.1   Ecoversity – Phase 4 (Document ASPC31/10-11)
         NOTED:

                15.1.1 That the ASPC welcomed Document ASPC31 which provided an
                       update on progress with the Ecoversity programme and the
                       sustainable journey that had taken place over the last six years
                       through the three phases of “environmental management”,
                       “sustainable development” and “whole institutional change”;

                15.1.2 That 2010 would see the delivery of the next phase of the
                       Ecoversity programme: phase 4 – “transformation”;

                15.1.3 That this phase would embed the Ecoversity principles and ensure
                       that sustainable development became “business as normal”;

                15.1.4 That following the success of recent years, the University could
                       justifiably claim to be a beacon of sustainability within the sector
                       and that this should be used as a means of demonstrating
                       Bradford’s distinctiveness;

                                                                                              6
       15.1.5 The proposal that the University’s emerging Corporate and Social
              Responsibility (CSR) Framework (which would inform how the
              strategic intent of Ecoversity would be delivered and would bring
              together the Diversity, Dignity and Respect, Sustainable
              Development, Community Partnerships and Widening Participation,
              Wellbeing and the Arts policies) be renamed “Ecoversity – A
              Socially and Environmentally Responsible University”;

       15.1.6 That by using this approach, the University could clearly show what
              would be included in the definition of CSR/Ecoversity and ensure
              that its principles were fully embedded across the institution;

       15.1.7 That an Ecoversity conference, to take place in autumn, would
              continue to increase awareness and involvement in the programme
              (Action: GL);
RESOLVED:

       15.1.8 Agreement by the ASPC that Ecoversity be used as a means of
              demonstrating the University’s distinctiveness;
       15.1.9 That the CSR Framework be re-named “Ecoversity – A Socially and
              Environmentally Responsible University”;

       15.1.10 That the Ecoversity Annual Report 2009/2010 would be presented
               to ASPC4 (Action: GL).
15.2   Internal Communications (Document ASPC32/10-11)
NOTED:

       15.2.1 The first draft of the Internal Communications Strategy 2009-2014;

       15.2.2 That the document outlined the strategy and accompanying action
              plan for internal communications from September 2010 to August
              2014 and that it built upon the activity update presented to the
              ASPC in November 2009;

       15.2.3 That a full discussion took place in relation to the draft, including the
              key priority areas and the phase I action plan and that feedback
              would be forwarded to the Head of Marketing and Communications
              and the Internal Communications Officer (Action: AD);

       15.2.4 That in order to promote effective communication, the CS Executive
              had agreed that the key issues from its meetings be disseminated
              to staff. These messages would then be cascaded to managers,
              who would, in turn, cascade to their staff;
RESOLVED:

       15.2.5 That the ASPC would adopt a similar approach and at the end of
              each monthly meeting, the key messages to be disseminated to
              staff would be agreed (M18.1 refers);

       15.2.6 That this pattern of communication could also be replicated in other
              forums;
                                                                                     7
                15.2.7 That “key messages for communication” would be added to future
                       ASPC agendas (Action: JH);

                15.2.8 That a simplified Internal Communication Strategy would be
                       presented to a future meeting, for approval (Action: AD).

16.09-10 Items for Decision / Approval
         16.1   Draft Marketing Strategy 2009-2014 (Document ASPC33/10-11)
         NOTED:

                16.1.1 That the 1st draft of the Marketing Strategy 2009-2014 was
                       presented to the ASPC in June 2010;

                16.1.2 That the draft had been updated and revised to include an
                       executive summary and a completed action plan;

                16.1.3 That whilst the ASPC supported the draft strategy, it could not be
                       approved until an Equality Impact Assessment had been completed;
         RESOVLED:
                16.1.4 That the draft and its associated EIA, would be presented to ASPC4,
                       for approval (Action: AD).
         16.2   Draft IT Strategy (Document ASPC34/10-11)
         NOTED:

                16.2.1 That the draft IT Strategy 2009-2014 had been considered and
                       approved by the Information Systems Committee;

                16.2.2 That following its Equality Impact Assessment in June 2010, it had
                       been updated to emphasise and promote accessibility of systems;
         RECOMMENDED TO SENATE AND COUNCIL:

                16.2.3 That the draft IT Strategy 2009-2014 be approved.
         16.3   University Bursary Scheme (Document ASPC35/10-11)
         NOTED:

                16.3.1 That the University spent 28.5% of its additional fee income on
                       bursaries against a sector average of 22.8%

                16.3.2 That OFFA research indicated that bursaries did not influence the
                       students choice of course or institution;

                16.3.3 That due to the reduction in recurrent teaching funding , the
                       University would need to reduce spend in this area;

                16.3.4 That the University would need to amend its bursary scheme before
                       the end of October 2010, for 2011/12 entry;

                16.3.5 That the UBU had been consulted on the proposal;



                                                                                            8
         RESOLVED:

                16.3.6 That the University adopt the principles, as noted in Document
                       ASPC35, for 2011/12 entry onwards ;

                16.3.7 That detailed modelling would be undertaken and presented to the
                       Fees, Bursaries and Scholarships Sub-Committee, for agreement.
                       Chair’s Action approval would then be taken on behalf of the LTC
                       and the ASPC (Action: GL);

                16.3.8 That as the scheme was consistent with Council policy no further
                       approval would be required;

                16.3.9 That students under the existing bursary scheme would be
                       protected and would receive bursaries at the same level as when
                       they started their course.

17.09-10 Items for Information / Updates
         17.1   Update from the Vice-Chancellor (Oral Report)
         NOTED:
                17.1.1 That a holding statement following the Browne Review of Higher
                       Education Funding had been produced and that this would be
                       circulated to the ASPC, for information (Action: AD);

                17.1.2 That the Comprehensive Spending Review would conclude on the
                       20th October and that an update on its implications would be
                       presented as a “strategic issue” to ASPC4 (November) (Action:
                       MC);

                17.1.3 That the University had been shortlisted in the Sustainable
                       Development category of the THE Awards 2010 and that no more
                       than two members of staff would attend the awards ceremony in
                       London.
         17.2   British Science Festival 2011 (Oral Report)
         NOTED:

                17.2.1 That the University would host the British Science Festival between
                       the 10-15 September 2011;

                17.2.2 That the event would present an excellent opportunity to promote
                       the City and Region and to showcase research in science/culture;

                17.2.3 That thanks were expressed to Alastair Wood and Jo Hills for their
                       work on the BSF to date;

                17.2.4 That the call for proposals for contributions to the Festival
                       programme of events was now open until the end of November;

                17.2.5 That a launch event would take place on the 3rd November and that
                       academics should be encouraged attend.


                                                                                            9
17.3   Fund Raising and Development (Document ASPC36/10-11)
NOTED: For the information of the ASPC, an update on fund raising and
development.
17.4   Managing Staff Reductions (Oral Report)

NOTED: That the University wide scheme had closed on the 17th September and
that 35 applications would be considered by the Remunerations Committee on the
29th October.
17.5   Pensions Update (Document ASPC37/10-11)
NOTED:

       17.5.1 That the University was required to undertake a statutory
              consultation with USS members. This would commence on the 22nd
              October 2010 and last for a minimum of 60 days ;

       17.5.2 That all staff would receive a letter and information pack inviting
              them to take part in the consultation process;
       17.5.3 That the changes would be implemented from 1 st April 2011;

       17.5.4 That further information was available from the USS website.
17.6   Early Report on Student Numbers
TABLED: Document ASPC38/10-11- Early Statistics as at 11th October 2010.
NOTED: That the statistics presented to the ASPC were extracted from SAINT on
the 11th October. They would continue to be monitored by the Director of
Academic Administration and an updated report on student numbers and
budgetary consequences would be presented to ASPC4 (Action: AD)
17.7   Centralised Timetabling Update (Oral Report)
NOTED:

       17.7.1 A brief update on the current position with the centralised
              timetabling project;

       17.7.2 That there were a number of issues in relation to the
              implementation of centralised timetabling in respect of underlying
              timetabling data and high level business process timing within the
              academic year;

       17.7.3 That both of these would have wide ranging implications beyond the
              CT project and changes in them would be essential for the
              successful implementation of the new timetabling methodology;

       17.7.4 That whilst the CT project could deliver a short term solution to
              produce a September 2011 timetable (which would not deliver all
              benefits and would still require a labour intensive process), a long
              term solution could only be achieved if relevant data integrity and
              business process timing relating to the academic year were
              addressed;


                                                                                     10
                  17.7.5 That the Attendance Monitoring Project (to enable compliance with
                         the Borders Agency requirements) would be dependent upon the
                         adoption of centralised timetabling;
           RESOLVED:

                  17.7.6 That a detailed report in respect of CT would be presented to
                         ASPC4 (Action: AW).
           17.8   Programme and Projects Update (Document ASPC39/10-11)

           NOTED: That the document was withdrawn and that a full report would be
           presented to ASPC4 in advance of the scheduled Council meeting at the end of
           November (Action: SAD).

18.09-10 Any Other Business
           18.1   Key Messages from ASPC3
           NOTED: Agreement that members of the ASPC would communicate the following
           to their staff (M15.2.6 refers):
            Ecoversity
            Browne Review
            Recruitment

19.09-10 Future Meetings of the ASPC
              ASPC4 – 17th November 2010
              ASPC5 – 15th December 2010
              ASPC6 – 12th January 2011
              ASPC7 – 16th February 2011
              ASPC8 – 16th March 2011
              ASPC9 – 13th April 2011
              ASPC10 – 11th May 2011
              ASPC11 – 8th June 2011

JH 10/10




                                                                                          11

				
DOCUMENT INFO
Shared By:
Categories:
Tags:
Stats:
views:6
posted:11/1/2011
language:English
pages:11