Web Service and Semantic Web
WS / SW
Shang Rong Tsai
Department of Information Management
Web Service (1/2)
– An open platform for accessing services as
automatically as possible
– Automatically integrating services
• Basic technologies
Web Service (2/2)
• What degree of automation can we get by Web
• What efforts should programmers or users pay for
using or integrating the available Web services ?
What WSDL can help us in this aspect ?
• Can computers understand the semantic of a Web
Service ? (You can try to think about this case:
using all meaningless tags to encode all the XML
documents, then you are the computer to read the
• The Web site of XMethods, Inc gave me a good
starting point to think about such questions
• Web evolutions and developments
• HTML => DHTML => XML
• Can computers understand the meanings of data ?
– The goal of Semantic Web
– One of the keys would be how the metadata be
– It would need experts to define for each knowledge or
application domain the metadata, a set of classes about
the metadata. Thus, computers would be able to
understand the semantic of the data.
Web Service / Semantic Web
• SW and WS are Complementary
• Two facets of machine-to-machine
– service based =>Web of applications
– metadata based =>Web of data
• A widely deployed Web Services infrastructure
may be the most compelling business case for the
• The synergy of Semantic Web and Web Service
will hugely benefit for the wide deployment of
• Where to start ?
• What is the current status ?
• What are the killer applications ?
• What we can expect in final ?
• Who (companies) already involved ?
• My comments
– People just expect good contents and services.
– Semantic Web and Web service can give some
advantages in providing good contents and services in a
large scale (on the whole Web), where automation by
computers should be mandatory.
– Then, people can just enjoy life, but not suffer by