• Drain excess interstitial fluid and return it
to the blood
• Defends the body
1. Lymphatic vessels
• Pick up excess
tissue fluid (lymph)
and return it to the
• One-way system
• Return fluid to
through junction of
internal jugular and
R. and L.
1. Maturing T cells (lymphocyte)
2. Between sternum and aorta.
3. Lymph nodes
• Located along lymphatic vessels
• Remove foreign material from lymphatic
• Contain lymphocytes (WBCs)
• filters blood of bacteria, viruses, and
other debris, including worn-out RBCs.
• Location: curls around stomach
• Scattered in mucous
reproductive tracts, and airways)