Description of Student Survey Data
In January 2004, during the first week of the Spring Semester at Northern Kentucky University
(NKU), 501 students taking introductory statistics courses completed the following survey.
STATISTICS STUDENT SURVEY
1. What is your gender? Female Male
2. How many years old are you?
3. How many hours do you work per week?
4. Do you drink coffee? Yes No
5. How many hours per week do you spend in bars?
6. Do you have any tattoos? Yes No
7. How many pairs of shoes do you own?
8. How many hours per week do you exercise?
9. What is your GPA at Northern Kentucky University?
10. How many credit hours are you taking this semester?
11. How much did you spend for textbooks this semester?
12. What is your current class standing? Freshman Sophomore Junior Senior
13. How many miles (one-way) do you travel to NKU? If you live on campus, enter 0.
14. The following refer to the car you drive most frequently:
What many years old is the car?
What is the mileage on the odometer?
15. Do you think you will vote in the presidential election in the fall of 2004? Yes No
16. How many professional football games did you attend last season?
17. How many professional baseball games did you attend last season?
18. Are you married? Yes No
There are two types of introductory statistics classes at NKU: MAT 205 is a general course for
all students other than business majors and MAT 212 is a similar course for those students with
a business major. For each student completing the survey, we recorded whether the student is
in the “GENERAL” course or the “BUSINESS” course. NKU offers these classes during both
the day (8:00 am to 3:15 pm) and evening or night (4:40 pm to 9:00 pm). For each student
completing the survey, we also recorded whether the student took the course during the “DAY”
or “NIGHT”. The responses for all of the students surveyed are in a data file called
STUDENTS. This file contains the following data.
COURSE: Responses are BUSINESS or GENERAL
TIME: Responses are DAY or NIGHT.
GENDER: Responses are FEMALE or MALE.
AGE: Responses are years of age of student.
WORKHR: Responses are the number of hours the student works per week.
COFFEE: Responses are YES or NO.
BARHR: Responses are the number of hours per week the student spends in bars.
TATTOO: Responses are YES or NO.
SHOES: Responses are the number of pairs of shoes the student owns.
EXERCISE: Responses are the number of hours per week the student exercises.
GPA: Responses are the current GPA (at NKU) of the student.
CREDITS: Responses are the number of credit hours the student is taking.
BOOK$$: Responses are textbook expense (in dollars) for students in spring 2004.
CLASS: Responses are FRESHMAN, SOPHOMORE, JUNIOR, or SENIOR.
DISTANCE: Responses are the number of miles the student commutes (one-way) to NKU.
CAR AGE: Responses are the age of the car (in years) the student drives.
MILEAGE: Responses are the number of miles on the odometer of this car.
VOTE: Responses are YES or NO.
FOOTBALL: Responses are the number of football games the student attended last season.
BASEBALL: Responses are the number of baseball games the student attended last season.
MARRIED: Responses are YES or NO.