HR ConneCtion The NaTioNal associaTioN of REalToRs®
No Cost SeRviCeS Donna Garcia, MSHR, SPHR
Director, Human Resource Services
Donna has been with the NAR since 1984. She
joined NAR’s Legal Affairs Division, where she
HR Online Toolkit worked for 12 years. While in Legal Affairs, she
A handy, online reference with tools and checklists for: reviewed employee manuals for state/local
associations, developed/revised courses for the
• Audit Legal Liability Series, and was staff executive to
Assess your HR needs with this handy checklist. the Risk Reduction Committee.
• Employee Relations
Learn fundamental policies and procedures that can help In 1996, she joined the Human Resources Division
where she has gained extensive knowledge in
nurture satisfactory relationships with your staff.
employee relations, training, compensation and
• Recruiting benefits administration.
Get the tools you need to bring talent to your team, including
processes for posting open positions and conducting Donna received her B.S. degree in Business
interviews. Administration from St. Xavier University and her
• Compensation M.S. Degree in Human Resource Management
from Loyola University. She obtained her
Determine appropriate wages with salary surveys and other
certification in Organization Development and
competitive market data.
her Senior Professional in Human Resources
• Benefits designation in 2008. Donna is a member of
Establish a competitive benefits package to recruit, retain, and the Society for Human Resource Management
motivate talented and dedicated workers. and the American Society of Association
• Training Executives.
Help your staff grow personally and professionally with a well
She is a certified facilitator for The Pacific
formed development curriculum.
Institute’s Investment in Excellence Program;
• Legal and authors a Human Resources column called
Learn which employment laws apply to your association; Learn HR Connection in REALTOR AE Magazine.
how the Fair Labor Standards Act and the Americans with
Disabilities Act apply; Discover how the Bona Fide Occupational
Qualification (BFOQ) may be considered an exception in
Search Firms on REALTOR.org
AE Job Section
NatioNal aSSociatioN of RealtoRS® Human Resource Services
for Association Executives
Human Resource Services
A few executive search firms have agreed to pay to post a link to their 430 N. Michigan ave.
company’s site on the AE Jobs section of REALTOR.org. If typical chicago, il 60611
recruiting methods aren’t working for you, here’s another option to
consider. NAR does not endorse any of the vendors listed on this site. Phone: 312-329-8311
Access your Human
Resources Toolkit at
430 N. Michigan Ave.
Chicago, IL 60611-4087
1 (800) 874-6500
HR ConneCtion Premium SeRviCeS
Employee manuals are an important way to ensure that your policies are
communicated properly to your employees and help reduce your legal exposure.
AEs HAvE THE COnvEniEnCE Association Executive Search Assistance
3 options are available to ensure your manual is up-to-date:
OF “OnE STOP SHOPPinG” 1. Purchase nAR’s “Standard” Manual with your specific information Assistance includes, but is not limited to:
FOR HuMAn RESOuRCE included– This boilerplate manual includes policies regarding: 1. initial phone consultation (no charge)
SERviCES AnD inFORMATiOn. ii. Compensation - Performance reviews, pay days, payroll deductions, 2. Skills/experience/knowledge identification, resume screening,
office work hours, time reporting, overtime policy, etc. on-site interviewing and selection
iii. Conduct – Alcohol/drug abuse, harassment, conflict of interest, Cost: $500 per day, Travel expenses only
HR information available includes: telephone use, dress code, electronic communication, voice mail,
performance improvement, etc.
iv. Employment – Equal employment opportunity Tailored Training on Human Resource issues
• nEW! HR column in REALTOR ® AE magazine – Submit v. Privacy – Employment verification, personnel file access Supervisor and employee training is crucial to any successful organization.
your questions to hrconnection@REALTORS.org. Selected vi. Safety – Medical emergencies, whistleblower policy Courses may be offered for your association and/or members. A great way
questions will be answered in the new HR Connection vii. Termination – General policy, voluntary/involuntary termination, to generate revenue for your regional/association meetings! For
vacation pay, employment at will 2009, all training will be provided at cost, unless specified otherwise.
viii. Time Off Reimbursement of travel expenses required.
• Human Resources Toolkit – www.REALTOR.org/HRToolkit
Complete a questionnaire to include your specific information as it relates
to time off, work hours, etc. Following are some of the courses currently available:
Cost: $150 $75 1. Pacific institute (2 days) – This comprehensive, motivational seminar
Services available include: is a brilliant way to assist you, your staff or leadership in working through
2. nAR’s “Standard” Manual with additional state and local
negativity that may hinder them from reaching their potential. Topics
customizations and policies not listed above.
• Employee Manual Review/Development include: a) a study of how the mind works; b) how to control the way
Cost: $100 per hour $75
• Employee Relations Assistance we think; and c) how to increase self-efficacy.
• Compensation System Review/Development Cost: $50 per person (payable to The Pacific Institute);
3. Current manual review – Submit your current employee manual for
• Benefits Review/Recommendations review. You’ll be provided with detailed information on how to bring your $3,000 facilitator fee, plus expenses
• Association Executive Search Assistance manual up-to-date and in compliance with federal law.
2. Sexual Harassment – This two-hour training course which includes a
• Training on Human Resource Issues Cost: $100 per hour ($250 minimum), $75
14-minute video and print materials, addresses how to identify actions
that constitute sexual harassment, ways it can be prevented, and how
Employee Relations/Compensation/Benefits to establish company policies and procedures to address incidents of
Assistance includes, but is not limited to: sexual harassment.
1. Employee Relations – guidance with conflict resolution, team building, Cost: $250 per class, plus expenses
and removing other obstacles that hinder
3. Additional Topics – Tailored training on
your employees’ effectiveness.
topics such as communication, conflict
2. Compensation – determining FLSA status resolution, time management, etc., are
(exempt v. non-exempt), job description available. Participants complete an online
As part of nAR’s “Right Tools, Right now” initiative, development, ensuring an equitable assessment prior to the course and then
Human Resources consulting services will be available to compensation system, etc. receive their own personal profile at the
AEs at no cost. Review of your employee manual will only cost $75!
session. The session is developed based
Customized training is available at cost, however travel 3. Benefits - benefit programs assessment on the participants’ assessment results.
expenses must be reimbursed. to e ns ur e m a r k et c o m p et i t i v en es s Cost: $500 per day, plus expense
Cost: $75 per hour no cost
Prices listed are valid through December 31, 2009 minimum $20 per quarter hour