Obesity can lead to 60 other Non-
SO TRY TO AVOID IT!!
Situation in MALTA
• Many people in Malta are likely to
be at risk of over-nutrition rather
than of under nutrition.
Cereals, Fruit and Milk and Meat, fish Fats, fatty
bread and vegetables milk and and sugary
pasta products alternatives foods and
Carbohydrate Vitamins Calcium, Protein and Fat and
(starch) and and Protein and iron carbohydrate
fibre minerals some (sugar)
Guidelines for Healthy Eating
• Healthy well-balanced diets for adults are
high in carbohydrate in the form of starchy
foods like cereals products including bread,
rice, and pasta and also potatoes.
• Healthy diets are abundant in fruits
• They also contain moderate amounts of
meat or its alternatives such as beans
• Milk and milk products together with small
amounts of food high in fat and sugar are
also present in a health diet.
More Healthy Tips
TIPS! Try choosing
quick and easy
• It is important to eliminate the addition of
salt onto a plate of food in order to avoid
high blood pressure.
• Adults have to keep their alcohol intake
under control. If taken at all alcohol
consumption should be of 2-3 units a day
for men and 1-2 units a day for women.
• One has to keep in mind that
some foods lose their nutritional
value during processing.
− For example canned tuna fish
loses its omega-3 and omega-6
fatty acids (fish oil) whilst being
• In addition such processes also
change the colour, flavour and
texture, E.g. peas.
• Nutrient loss in frozen foods is
How to Have The Best From Food?
• Attention should be given to retain
the nutrients when storing,
preparing, cooking and serving
• Vitamin C and the B- group vitamins
are easily destroyed during cooking
so fruit and vegetables should be
cooked quickly in a little water
(which can be used in
gravies/sauces…) and not kept
warm for a long period of time.
More About Convenience Foods
• Convenience foods also contain
salt, additives, colourings and
preservatives, which some
consumers may prefer to avoid for
• Sugar is many times used as an
ingredient in convenience foods, it
is used in sauces as well as in
savoury foods like tomato paste.
Making Meals Healthy
• Follow the Maltese guidelines:-
− Eat less fat Please NO solid food
− Eat less sugar before we are 4 months
of age. Our digestive
− Eat less salt system is NOT
prepared for solids.
− Eat more fibre
Remember that we
grow very fast and we
are also very active!
Some of us are forever
Aesthetically Pleasing Meals
− Colourful. Avoid having several
foods of the same colour, such as
fish in cheese sauce, potatoes and
cauliflower. Use fruits and
vegetables to add lots of colour to
− Taste good. People‟s taste differ
and so you need to find out about
the likes and dislikes of the people
you are catering for.
Examples of Suitable Meals
Breakfast Lunch/dinner Dessert Evening snack
Wholegrain cereal Minced white meat in a Fresh fruit Sandwich with
with milk. savoury sauce with fresh salad. vegetables and ricotta.
Wholegrain toast salad or vegetables. Freshly squeezed
lightly spread with orange juice.
low fat spread.
Scrambles, Steamed white fish in Stewed fruit. Jacket potato with
poached or boiled sauce with fresh salad or baked beans. A glass of
egg with toast and vegetables. milk.
Cereals with Casserole or grilled Fruit and Tuna bun. Freshly
yoghurt. chicken with fresh salad yoghurt flan. squeezed orange juice.
Fruity pancakes. Cheese and mushroom Jelly made Rice or pasta salad.
omelette with fresh salad with milk and Water.
or vegetables. fresh fruit.
Goldilocks’ Meat soup with pulses. Milk pudding. Green salad with ricotta.
porridge. Freshly squeezed
Myths Versus Facts
• Any type of oil including olive oil
have the same amount of calories.
• Light oil can be light in taste and
not in calories, so read labels well.
• Vegetarian cheddar contains as
much calories as cheddar cheese.
• Brown bread can have added
colour. Always choose wholemeal
• Banana and bread are not
fattening, they are healthy foods.
• When doing a slimming diet you shouldn‟t
cut down on food, instead choose
healthy food to eat.
• It is also important to use healthy methods
of cooking, such as: steaming, baking,
roasting, grilling and poaching.
• Avoid frying and use microwave cooking
• Make sure that you do 30 minutes of
exercise on a daily basis.
• A combination of exercise and a healthy
diet, is the best way to weight
• Food supplements include
vitamins, minerals, protein and
• Possible risk factors could
emerge if supplements are
combined with medication or if
a person suffers from a
• People should get the
(vitamins and minerals) from
eating a well balanced diet.
Bad Eating Habits
• One should not reward him/herself
with sweets and unhealthy food,
since this can eventually lead to
bad eating habits which are very
difficult to change.
• So one should think twice when
giving food particularly sweets to
young children when they are
• In Malta “80% of overweight and
obese children are likely to
become overweight and obese
adults”. (Norum, 2005)
Some Bad Eating Habits
• Starving yourself and skipping
• Binging/ over consumption.
• Not knowing what you eat.
• Lack of exercise.
• Eating too much sugar and
• Not drinking enough water.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
How to Overcome Bad Eating Habits?
• Eat small but frequent healthy meals
• Shop healthy and wisely.
• Take your time while eating.
• Don‟t let your emotions influence your
• You don‟t have to finish all the plate
before you stop eating.
• Enjoy food to the full for it‟s wonderful
varieties of flavour, colour, texture and
• The key to tackle weight
management is to take a long
term approach and to except that,
overtime losses of 1Kg a week
can lead to significant weight
• Drinking plenty of water and
doing exercise is also very
Are You in The Ideal Weight Range
• Use the Body Mass Index (BMI) to
check whether you are in a healthy
• BMI= (weight in Kg)
(height in meters)2
• If the answer is less than 20:
• An answer between 20 - 24.9: healthy
• An answer between 25-29.9:
• If the answer is over 30: obese
Stress and Exercise
• There is no need to be an athlete
in order to enjoy the benefits of
simple exercise and relaxation.
• Try to do 30 minutes of exercise
• Expensive gyms and equipment
are not essential.
• Try to take activities as a whole
family and choose activities that
relaxes you e.g. walking/ cycling
not that stresses you more.
Why is exercise sooo important?
• Anybody, young or old can have
fun, improve their looks and
become healthier by doing simple
• By adequate exercise and
relaxation the entire body will
benefit – breathing, blood
circulation, muscles, posture etc.
• When you‟re healthy not only will
you feel good, you will also look
good with a nice skin and a
Ideas for Healthy Living
• Eat a variety of nutrient rich foods
by following the Food Guide
• Enjoy plenty of whole grains,
fruits and vegetables, always
choose fresh and local varieties.
• Eat moderate portions and
… Ideas for Healthy Living
• Reduce, don‟t eliminate certain
• Balance your food choices
overtime and make changes
• Remember, foods are not good
or bad, select food based on
your total eating patterns.
The best six doctors anywhere
And no one can deny it
Are sunshine, water, rest, and air
Exercise and diet.
These six will gladly you attend
If only you are willing
Your mind they'll ease
Your will they'll mend
And charge you not a shilling.
~Nursery rhyme quoted by Wayne Fields,
What the River Knows, 1990