• Born May 15 1923 ,New York city
• Attended Columbia University(briefly)
• Started as a photographer for the merchant
marines in 1942, taking identification pictures
with a rolleiflex camera given by his father.
• In 1944 began working as an advertisement
photographer and was discovered shortly
after by Alexey Brodovitch.
• In 1946 he set up his own studio and
began providing pictures for Vogue and
• Soon after he became the chief
photographer at Harpers Bazaar.
• Twenty years later he left Harpers
Bazaar and worked as a staff
photographer for Vogue magazine.
• His photos are easily distinguished by
minimalist style,his subjects looking squarely
into the camera and a sheer white
• But he was also interested in capturing the
soul. He did not conform to standard
technique of taking fashion photos.He liked to
capture emotion and action.
• He began to branch out taking pictures of the
civil rights movement,the Vietnam war,the fall
of the Berlin wall and people in the mental
• Rolleiflex Camera
• Nikon FM(1977)
• The fall of the Berlin wall (1989)
• Civil rights movement(1955-1968)
Vietnam War (1959-1975)
• Evening wear and suit.
• Richard Avedon had a tremendous impact on the
photography industry by continuously reinventing his
style and artistic focus.
Feb 6, 2008