Unconfirmed Minutes

Document Sample
Unconfirmed Minutes Powered By Docstoc
					                                                                          COATINGS
                                                                            July 2007
                            UNCONFIRMED MINUTES
                                JULY 16-19, 2007
                               HOTEL DEDEMAN
                              ISTANBUL, TURKEY

These minutes are not final until confirmed by the Task Group in writing or by vote
at a subsequent meeting. Information herein does not constitute a communication
or recommendation from the Task Group and shall not be considered as such by an
agency.

MONDAY JULY 16 – THURSDAY 19, 2007

1.0   OPENING COMMENTS

      Call to Order/Quorum Check

      The meeting was called to order by Chair Jack Saunders (Honeywell). A quorum
      was established with 6 user voting members present, including the following
      proxies: Clark Okawa for Paul Bardwell of Pratt & Whitney; Özlem Sivrioglu for
      John Nerz of GE Aviation; Ana Viguera-Sancho for Fabrice Crabos of SAFRAN.

      ATTENDANCE

      User Members Present (8)
      Name                         Company

      Jack Saunders                Honeywell                  Chair
      Paul Bardwell                Pratt & Whitney
      Nicolas Barthelemy           Eurocopter
      Clark Okawa                  Pratt & Whitney
      Özlem Sivrioglu              GEMTC
      Alexandrina Stoica           Bombardier Aerospace
      Ana Viguera-Sancho           SAFRAN
      Scott Maitland               Goodrich

      Other Participants/Members (18)
      Name                        Company

      Dale Harmon                  Cincinnati Thermal Spray   Secretary
      Al Abbasi                    Turbine Airfoil Coatings
      Turgut Avci                  Tei-Tusas Engine Ind.
      Aydemir Gonaydin             Tei-Tusas Engine Ind.
      Bernhard Gulde               Aerotech Peissenberg
      Richard Haberbosch           Aerotech Peissenberg
      Heinrich Kuchlbauer          Aerotech Peissenberg
      Sukru Igdeli                 Tei-Tusas Engine Ind
                                                                            COATINGS
                                                                              July 2007
      Tugba Kalem                   Tei-Tusas Engine Ind.
      Neil McGurk                   Tecvac
      Eikichiro Nishimatsu          Asahi Kinzoku Kogyo Co Ltd
      Özüm Özgüles                  Fastener Technology
      Alan Robinson                 Chromalloy United Kingdom Limited
      Nissim Shaltiel               Chromalloy Israel Ltd
      Ronald Stewart                Ellison Group
      Yoshiomi Sukesada             Asahi Kinzoku Kogyo Co. Ltd
      Vern Talmadge                 Howmet Thermatech Coatings
      Jan Wigren                    Volvo Aero

      PRI Auditor (1)
      Bedri Guçtokorkmaz

      PRI Staff (1)
      Jim Lewis

1.1   Expectations

      Attendees were given the opportunity to identify expectations to be addressed
      during the week of meetings. Expectations for the open meeting beyond agenda
      items included learning information on the Nadcap process, being updated on the
      Coatings task group, and discussion on improving supplier understanding of
      internal round robin requirements.

1.2   Auditor Feedback

      Auditor evaluations by the staff engineer and the suppliers from the previous
      quarter were reviewed. There were no negative trends or issues.

1.3   Approval of Minutes

      The minutes of the April 2007 meeting held in Paris, France, were approved
      without change.

1.4   Review Action Item List

      The Action Item list was reviewed. For specific details please see the Coatings
      Task Group Action Item List (RAIL) posted at www.eAuditNet.com under Public
      Documents / Coatings.
                                                                             COATINGS
                                                                               July 2007


2.0   CLOSED MEETING ISSUES

2.1   Prime-Specific Job Audit Guidelines

      Rolls-Royce, plc Guidelines are ready for issue. General Electric Aviation and
      Pratt & Whitney Guidelines are in process.

2.2   Ovens for Curing of Metallographic Mounts

      Based on a question submitted by a supplier, it was discussed whether curing of
      metallographic mounts in an oven is considered thermal processing per AC7109/5
      and would therefore require a temperature uniformity survey. It was determined
      that this is not thermal processing per AC7109/5; no TUS is required.

2.3   120 Day Audits

      The status of 120 day audits was reviewed. There has only been one coatings
      audit open over 120 days since February. No currently open coatings audits are
      over 120 days.

2.4   Memorandum of Understanding – Materials Testing

      The status of the proposed MOU with the Materials Testing Task Group was
      reviewed. It has already been signed by Coatings. Materials Tetsing has agreed
      to sign the document.

2.5   Succession Plan

      A succession plan was proposed with Tim Pruitt of Rolls-Royce Corp. becoming
      Chair and Paul Bardwell of Pratt & Whitney becoming Vice Chair. No timeline
      was set. The plan is still awaiting approval as not all involved were present. It
      was discussed that in general, the vice chair will next assume the office of chair.

2.6   Customer Notification Letter

      Guidelines were set up for the content of letters of customer notification. The
      information is to be added to the Coatings Audit Handbook. At a minimum, the
      notification must contain:
          - Description of violation/Details of engineering requirements
          - Who was contacted with title/function
          - Point of contact for processor (sender of letter typically)
                                                                              COATINGS
                                                                                July 2007
      Other information which is not required but would assist in resolving the issue
      more quickly with the customer is:
         - Approximate time frame of violation
         - Listing of parts/all affected parts – Quantities, ship dates, status
         - Preliminary plan for corrective action

ACTION ITEM: Add information required for customer notification to audit handbook.
(J. Lewis, 31-Aug-07)

2.7   Expectations for Closing Supplier Advisories

      It was discussed that in most cases, corrective action by the supplier is required to
      close Supplier Advisories.

2.8   Standardization Team Proposals

      The Task Group reviewed the presentations made by the sub-teams for merit,
      failure criteria and quorum from the Standardization Team. The
      recommendations for quorum and failure were accepted. The Coatings Task
      Group will review failure criteria by the end of the October meeting. As a new
      sub-team was formed for merit, no decision was made on the proposals by the
      Task Group.

2.9   Failed Microhardness Check

      Currently, AC7109/5 requires that if the periodic check detects an out-of-
      tolerance condition, all tests since the last correct periodic check be retested
      (unless suspect population can be further restricted). This may not be practical or
      possible in all situations. It was proposed for the next revision of the checklist,
      the question be revised to:

      “If the periodic check detects an out-of-tolerance condition, do procedures require
      that all tests since the last correct periodic check are assessed for product non-
      conformance?”

3.0   TASK GROUP TUTORIAL

      Staff Engineer Jim Lewis presented a tutorial to explain the functions of the
      Coatings Task Group to participants.

4.0   NMC METRICS

      The NMC metrics were presented by Staff Engineer Jim Lewis and reviewed by
      the Task Group. Metrics with an acceptable “green” stoplight condition include
      Audits Scheduled Year to Date, Supplier Cycle Time for Initial Audits, and Staff
      Cycle Time. The Certs Issued and Task Group Cycle Time (both for Initial and
                                                                            COATINGS
                                                                              July 2007
       Reaccreditation) metrics are “yellow”. The two metrics with “red” stoplight
       condition include Supplier Cycle Time for Reaccreditation Audits and %
       Suppliers on Merit. The percentage of eligible suppliers on Merit is now 52%.

5.0    CYCLE TIME CHART

       Jim Lewis shared the Cycle Time chart which currently indicates a positive trend
       toward lower cycle times.

6.0    AUDITOR FEEDBACK

       Jim Lewis led a review of data from PRI staff and supplier evaluations of
       auditors. There have been no significant issues documented.

7.0    CHEMICAL COMPOSITION BY MICROANALYSIS CHECKLIST

       The MTL Task Group is still working on checklist coverage for the microanalysis
       of chemical composition of coatings.

8.0    FRENCH TRANSLATIONS OF COATINGS CHECKLISTS

       The Coatings checklists have been translated into French and are ready for
       acceptance and publication. The Task Group acknowledged the efforts by Nicolas
       Barthelemy (Eurocopter), Fabrice Crabos (SAFRAN), and Alexandrina Stoica
       (Bombardier) to get this initiative completed in a timely manner.

9.0    SUPPLIER SUPPORT COMMITTEE REPORT

       Dale Harmon (Cincinnati Thermal Spray), Coatings representative to the Supplier
       Support Committee (SSC), presented an overview of the SSC and items of
       interest from the SSC meeting held the previous day. For complete details, see
       published minutes of the SSC meeting posted on www.pri-network.org.

10.0   NADCAP MANAGEMENT COUNCIL MEETING REPORT

       Jack Saunders, Coatings Chair, updated the task group on items from the Nadcap
       Management Council (NMC) meeting earlier in the day. For complete details, see
       published minutes of the NMC meeting posted on www.pri-network.org.

11.0   TWELVE MONTH PLAN

       The Task Group reviewed the list of proposed items to be addressed over the next
       12 months. Statements of objective were added to several items. Anyone can send
       suggestions for consideration to Chair Jack Saunders or Staff Engineer Jim Lewis.
                                                                            COATINGS
                                                                              July 2007
ACTION ITEM: Suppliers, primes, and auditors are to forward to Jim Lewis proposed
changes for the next checklist revisions. (All, 22-Oct-07)

ACTION ITEM: Develop and maintain a running list of proposed changes to the
checklists for future consideration. (J. Lewis., 30-Sep-07)

12.0   REVIEW OF NTGOP-001 APPENDIX 9

       There is an annual review of this appendix in order to ensure it is current with
       Task Group expectations; there were some minor changes made. Further revision
       may be required based on results of the NMC Standardization Sub-Team. All
       changes are to be balloted.

13.0   PARETO OF FINDINGS

       Jim Lewis presented a pareto of findings to Revision A checklists, representing
       audits conducted during the 13 month period that Revision A checklists were in
       use. These findings are posted in the Coatings section of Public Documents on
       eAuditNet.

ACTION ITEM: Add an explanation to the pareto to state the background and purpose
of the Pareto. (J. Lewis, 30-Sep-07)

ACTION ITEM: Add to the Round Robin training presentation the following: definition
of a Round Robin, the purpose for the Round Robin, and the record retention requirement
for Round Robin results. (D. Harmon, 31-Aug-07)

ACTION ITEM: Post the revised Round Robin training presentation in the Coatings
section of Public Documents in eAuditNet. (J. Lewis, 15-Sep-07)

14.0   SUPPLIER SURVEY

       The Task Group reviewed possible questions for a survey of suppliers that would
       help the Task Group to better understand how to better assist coatings suppliers.
       The stated purpose for the survey is to solicit suggestions for program
       improvement and gauge the effectiveness of the open Task Group meetings. A list
       of questions was agreed; the survey will be available to all individuals with
       Coatings suppliers who are registered users of eAuditNet.

ACTION ITEM: Distribute the survey to suppliers of coatings who are registered users
of eAuditNet. (J. Lewis, 31-Oct-07)

ACTION ITEM: Draft a cover letter explaining the survey. (J. Saunders, 30-Sep-07)
                                                                            COATINGS
                                                                              July 2007


15.0   MAGNETIC MASKING

       Jon Higgins (Rolls-Royce plc) submitted a review of Rolls-Royce, plc
       requirements dealing with demagnetization of parts. Requirements exist only for
       NDT applications, none specifically for coatings. Further discussion was not
       appropriate as no one in attendance had experience with this type of masking or
       had knowledge of other requirements concerning magnetic masking. The topic
       will be moved to the October 2007 agenda.

16.0   AUDITOR TRAINING 2007

       Topics for auditor training in October were finalized; auditor input was solicited
       and list of topics was revised accordingly.
       - Prime job audit information (Honeywell – Jack Saunders; Rolls-Royce Corp –
          Tim Pruitt; General Electric – John Nerz; Pratt & Whitney – Paul Bardwell;
          Bombardier – Alexandrina Stoica; Eurocopter – Nicolas Barthelemy; Safran
          Group – Fabrice Crabos; Hill AFB – Jim Diamond; Rockwell Collins – Soly
          Paterson)
       - Open question and answer period – Jack Saunders
       - Feedback on checklists and objective evidence – Jack Saunders
       - Auditor advisories – Jim Lewis
       - Coating composition by microanalysis – no assignment
       - Feedback on job audit guidelines – Jack Saunders
       - Internal Round Robin – Jim Lewis
       - On-site acceptance by auditors – Jim Lewis

       Two other issues were identified which needed to be addressed during the open
       question and answer period:
       - AMS2750D relative to calibration of over-temperature sensors not being
          required per AMS2750
       - Use of the post-audit letter of resources available to suppliers

ACTION ITEM: Ask auditors to be prepared to discuss their feedback on the Objective
Evidence checklists. (J. Lewis, 31-Aug-07)

ACTION ITEM: Send the appropriate format for training presentations to those
individuals who will be making presentations at Auditor Training. (J. Lewis, 15-Aug-07)

ACTION ITEM: All training presentations to be submitted to Jim Lewis. (All Trainers –
Saunders, Pruitt, Nerz, Bardwell, Stoica, Barthelemy, Crabos, Diamond, Paterson, Lewis,
21-Sep-07)
                                                                                COATINGS
                                                                                  July 2007


17.0   IMPROVEMENTS TO OBJECTIVE EVIDENCE CHECKLISTS

       Some improvements brought in by attendees were discussed and some editorial
       changes were made to the objective evidence checklists. It was also discussed
       that with the next revision of the checklists, the objective evidence and other
       guidance should be placed directly in the checklist, to better identify its existence.

18.0   REVIEW EXPECTATIONS/NEW BUSINESS

       All documented expectations for this meeting were addressed.

18.1   Revisions to ASTM Hardness Testing Standards

       Dale Harmon submitted of summary of changes to ASTM E18 that are significant
       relative to AC7109/5 checklist. There are several new requirements and several
       changes to existing checklist requirements. ASTM E384 has also just been revised
       and issued. It was decided to consult with MTL Task Group on how that group
       will implement changes.

ACTION ITEM: Consult with MTL on their timetable for implementing ASTM E18-07
and ASTM E384-07. (J. Lewis, 31-Aug-07)

ACTION ITEM: Forward to Jim Lewis company expectations on a timetable for
supplier implementation of ASTM E18-07 and ASTM E384-07. (All Primes, 31-Aug-07)

ACTION ITEM: Forward to Jim Lewis company requirements for retention time for
metallographic specimens. (All Primes, 31-Aug-07)

19.0   REVIEW ACTION ITEMS

       Action items were documented by Secretary Dale Harmon. For specific details
       please see the Coatings Task Group Action Item List posted at
       www.eAuditNet.com under Public Documents / Coatings.


20.0   APRIL 2007 MEETING AGENDA

       Next meeting will be October in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Proposed agenda items
       other than the standard items include: auditor training; auditor training for July
       2008; update on the supplier survey; updates on ASTM E18-07 and ASTM E384-
       07 implementation; review of CP AC7108 relative to AC7109/4 and AC7109/6;
       review of HT AC7102 relative to AC7109/7; coating composition checklist
       update; Objective Evidence updates; Prime job audit guidelines; failure criteria;
       pareto of findings / root causes; magnetic masking; and Standardization
       Committee results. The open meeting will run from Tuesday through Thursday
                                                                          COATINGS
                                                                            July 2007
       with auditor training conducted on Sunday and the closed meeting scheduled for
       Monday. The agenda will be posted on the PRI website, www.pri-network.org.

ADJOURNMENT

       Meeting was adjourned without objection.

Minutes prepared by:
Dale Harmon and Jim Lewis
dharmon@cintithermal.com jiml@sae.org



                         ***** For PRI Staff use only: ******

Are procedural/form changes required based on changes/actions approved during this
meeting? (select one)

YES*                                NO



*If yes, the following information is required:

Documents requiring          Who is responsible:                     Due date:
revision:
NTGOP-001, Appendix IX       J. Lewis                                31-Oct-07

				
DOCUMENT INFO
Shared By:
Categories:
Tags:
Stats:
views:3
posted:10/28/2011
language:English
pages:9
xiaohuicaicai xiaohuicaicai
About