Phoenix Theft Attorney
Theft Charges in Phoenix
The crime of theft in Arizona is one of the most broadly defined crimes there is. There are numerous different types of theft crimes and various different punishments for theft. It is important
when you are facing a theft charge in Arizona to talk to any attorney who understands theft laws and the possible punishment you are facing in order to put you in the best possible position to
win your case.
What are some of the different types of theft crimes in Arizona?
Theft can have a number of different definitions in Arizona. One example of theft is the controlling of property of another, without lawful authority, with the intent to deprive the other person of
such property. Another example would be accepting property that you know has been stolen. Theft crimes can range from stealing from a store to taking a vehicle to embezzling money from a
corporation or business.
Phoenix theft attorney Jon M. Martinez is a former major crimes prosecutor who has been fighting for the rights of his clients who have been charged with theft for years. The Jon M. Martinez
Criminal Law Group has experience in a variety of theft crimes, including:
• Misdemeanor theft
• Felony theft
• Armed Robbery
• Auto theft
• Bad checks
• Credit card theft
• Identity theft
Penalties for Theft Crimes in Arizona
• If the value of the property taken is less than $1,000, you are likely to be charged with misdemeanor theft and will face a maximum punishment of 6 months in jail.
• If the value of the property taken is between $1,000 and $2,000, the charges you are facing will be a class 6 Felony offense and is punishable by up to 2 years in prison.
• When the value of the property taken is between $2,000 and $3,000, the charges you are facing are classified as a class 5 Felony offense and is punishable by up to 2.5 years
• If the value is between $3,000 and $4,000, the charges you are facing are considered to be a class 4 Felony offense and is punishable by up to 3.75 years in prison.
• When the value of the item taken is between $4,000 and $25,000, the charges you will be facing are considered to be a class 3 felony offense and has a maximum punishment of
8.75 years in prison.
• The most serious classification for theft is a class 2 felony offense and is punishable by a maximum of 12.5 years in prison. A class 2 felony offense is when the theft has a value
of greater than $25,000.
• In addition, if you are convicted for a theft of greater than $100,000, you will not be eligible for probation and a prison term is mandatory
What do you do if charged with theft?
When you are facing such serious charges, it is important that you hire an attorney who will fight for you every step of the way. It is extremely important that your Phoenix theft attorney
conducts a thorough investigation of every aspect of the case, evaluates any and all potential weaknesses in your case and interview any and all witnesses that may help you with your case.
Phoenix Theft Lawyer
Phoenix defense attorney Jon M. Martinez and the Jon M. Martinez Criminal Law Group are here for you when you are facing a theft charge. When know that you are much more than a case
number and will fight hard to protect your rights and keep you out of jail. As a former major crimes prosecutor, Mr. Martinez knows what it takes to win your theft case and protect your rights.
Contact a Phoenix theft crimes attorney at (480) 745-1572