Top 25 Web sites for Instruction
Waiver Day – November 9, 2009
Lesson Plans, Activities, Resources
1. Teachers First (www.teachersfirst.com) –A collection of lessons, units, and web resources designed to
save teachers time by delivering just what they need in a practical, userfriendly, and ad-free format.
*2. Thinkfinity (www.thinkfinity.org) – Free educational resources to improve student achievement in
traditional classroom settings and beyond by providing high-quality content and extensive professional
3. FREE (Federal Resources for Educational Excellence) (http://www.free.ed.gov/) – Provides
teaching and learning resources from Federal Agencies. Search animations, primary docs, photos, and
Educational Search Tool
4. Open Web Learning “OWL” (http://www.openweblearning.org/) – Free service for finding,
organizing, sharing, evaluating, and rewarding the best of the web for learning and teaching.
Online Video and/or Documentary Streaming
5. Encyclomedia (http://www.encyclomedia.com/) – An online video encyclopedia that provides free
access to video clips in various subjects.
6. Google Video (http://video.google.com/) – Google offers free videos that are streamed through its
7. Top Documentary Films( http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/) – Here you can watch free documentaries
online. Over 825 films in several categories are available to search.
*8. Zoho (www.zoho.com) – Offers an all-in-one collaborative package; it provides online tools from
mail and presentations to notebooks and wikis, with many tools in between.
Online Data Collection
*9. Polleverywhere (http://www.polleverywhere.com/) – Gather live student responses for free in the
classroom using the web or cell phones. *Free to an audience up to 30 and requires sign up for creating
*10. Animoto (http://animoto.com/) – Free online tool that produces video pieces from your photos,
video, and music. *Sign up required. Free 30 second video; can purchase an upgrade.
11. Today’s Fun Fact (http://www.factropolis.com/) – Gives daily fun facts about forgotten trivia, right
historical wrongs and more. It is made up of an association of teachers, historians, scientists, and
12. Pithypedia (http://www.pithypedia.com/) – Gives daily quotes and also provides a search box to
search for all kinds of quotes.
13. Visual Dictionary Online (www.visualdictionaryonline.com) - From the image to the word and its
definition, this website is an all-in-one reference. Search the themes to quickly locate words, or find the
meaning of a word by viewing the image it represents.
Calendars and Times
14. Timeanddate.com (http://www.timeanddate.com/) – Provides current time of cities, time zone
calculators, calendars for any country, countdowns, and various info on times and dates.
*15. Google Earth (http://earth.google.com/) – Google Earth lets you fly anywhere on Earth to view
satellite imagery, maps, terrain, 3D buildings, from galaxies in outer space to the canyons of the ocean.
You can explore rich geographical content, save your toured places, and share with others.
16. Learn.Genetics (http://learn.genetics.utah.edu/) – Provides teacher resources and lesson plans, virtual
labs, info on genetic technology and a searchable index.
17. HHMI (Howard Hughes Medical Institute) (http://www.hhmi.org/coolscience/index.html) – Click
on the “BioInteractive” button and there you can gain access to all kinds of science goodies for your
classroom! You will find video, animations, lectures, interactives, virtual labs, and classroom activities.
You can even order FREE videos for your classroom! Please check out!
18. WolframAlphra (http://www.wolframalpha.com/) – Can be used for other subjects as well! The goal
of the website is the make the world’s knowledge computable for everyone.
Math & Science
19. MIT Open Courseware (http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/hs/home/home/index.htm) – Materials for high
school Biology, Calculus, and Physics. Search for labs and classroom demonstrations for your
20. Our Documents (http://www.ourdocuments.gov/) – One hundred important documents from
American History are featured in this site as well as specialized tools for enhancing the study of them.
21. PBS Freedom: A History of US (http://www.pbs.org/wnet/historyofus/) – Games, freedom stories,
timelines and other tools available here for US History.
22. Internet4Classrooms (http://www.internet4classrooms.com/lang_mid.htm) – This website provides a
list of over 100 web sites for Language Arts to use in the classroom.
*23. SimplyBox (www.simplybox.com)
*24. Teachertube (www.teachertube.com)
*25. Ning (www.ning.com)
BONUS: *Skype (www.skype.com)