TEST STUDY GUIDE: THE AGE OF
You will have to match two things on the list:
A sudden seizure of government. military dictator of England
commander of colonial army Oliver Cromwell
Cornwallis George Washington
Tories Articles of Confederation
Declaration of the Rights of Man Cavaliers
Danton Code Napoleon
Voltaire coup d'e´tat
writs of assistance Robert Walpole
Treaty of Paris (1763) Bastille Day
famous French writer personal freedoms for the French
first American constitution search warrants
first British prime minister supporters of Charles I
French Independence Day surrendered at Yorktown
French laws organized by Napoleon wanted strong English king under
gave England control of Canada Charles II
leader of the Jacobin Club
1. The two branches of the British Parliament include the
______________and the ________________.
2. The three branches of the government of the United States are?
3. France's estates included which groups or classes of people? (NOTE:
Answering "everyone else" will be graded wrong.)
4. Government by one ruler is called a _______.
5. The English Revolution put which group/department in charge of British
6. The Church of England was established under which royal English family?
7. When Charles I sent troops into the House of Commons it led to the
outbreak of what?
8. Parliament had very limited power under the group?
9. The branch of the English Parliament composed of the clergy and
selected nobles is the House of __________.
10. The president of the United States is elected by what?
11. The French leader ___________conquered Russia but was forced to
12. General Gage was the British commander at which battle(s)?
13. Amendments and the balance of _________are both strong points of the
United States Constitution.
14. What things inspired the French to move toward their own revolution?
15. The invasion of which countries brought the start of defeat to Napoleon?
16. [ True / False ] The Habeas Corpus Act assured a person of a trial
within one year.
17. [ True / False ] The leader of the English Parliament is called the Lord
18. [ True / False ] British naval power soared in respect after the defeat of
the Spanish Armada.
19. [ True / False ] The final battle of the French and Indian War was the
Battle of Quebec.
20. [ True / False ] The Separatists and the Puritans were two different
groups of Protestants.
21. [ True / False ] The Consulate brought weak, unorganized leadership to
22. [ True / False ] During the French Revolution Napoleon rose in power
by working with the National Convention.
23. [ True / False ] Napoleon's contributions to French law are embodied in
the Code Napoleon.
24. [ True / False ] The revolutions in England, the United States, and
France gave people more voice in their government.
25. [ True / False ] The Boston Tea Party was a revolt against the
importation of spoiled and inferior goods into the colonies by the English.