GEOGRAPHY: Africa South of the Sahara Exam
Look up for the preceding page number, then fill out the answer.
1. A __________ is a fracture in the earth.
2. An ______________________ is a steep slope or cliff.
3. Lake Chad is NOT located in the Great___________River Valley.
4. The Great Rift River Valley was formed in part by shifting____________ plates.
5. The ________________ Range is part of the sharp escarpment on the Southern part
of the continent.
6. The ______________________Mountains are the dividing line between Uganda
and the Democratic Republic of the Congo.
7. Most of Africa’s mountains are located in the________________ Highlands.
8. A fault is fracture in the Earth’s ___________.
9. Escarpments are steep slopes or _______________.
10. Lake ____________ is a body of water with no outlet to the sea.
11. Lake______________ is the largest lake in Africa.
12. The Congo reaches the sea in a deep, navigable_________________.
13. An _____________ is an area where freshwater from a river meets seawater.
14. Mineral resources and __________ are the most abundant resources in the region.
15. The climate zones of Africa south of the Sahara are tropical__________ forest,
______________, _______________, and desert.
16. The tropical rain forest is the ________________ climate in the region.
17. The _______________ in an area in which grazing lands are turning into desert.
18. _____________________ is causing the loss of fertile land.
19. The Kalahari desert is located in ___________________Africa.
(Understand time zones.)
20. ___________ is a disease that is drastically reducing the region’s population.
21. ______________is one of the West African trading empire.
22. Europeans saw Africa in the 1800s as a source of__________ materials and a
market for goods.
23. European traders disrupted African life in the 1800s by replacing crops that
African used with____________ crops for exports.
24. The end of _________________ in South Africa resulted primarily from
international protests and internal unrest.
25. Apartheid is the _____________________ of the races.
26. The two largest religious groups in the region are____________ and Christianity.
27. European _______________________ brought the Christian religion to Africa.
28. The traditional African way of education is ___________________________.
29. ________________ ties are very important to the region.
30. ________________farming is the most common form of agriculture in the region.
31. ________________ farming is the practice of staying in one place to farm.
32.___________________ farming is the practice of moving to new land when land
loses its fertility.
33. Deforestation is the result of heavy _____________and __________________.
34. Most of the profits from the mining minerals in many African countries south of
the Sahara go to______________ investors and corporations.
35. In the 1990s, ______________ in the region became more severe, causing famine.