Philippians 1: Life’s Purpose- Christ Philippians Chapter 1
September 10, 2011
Paul presents Christ as the believer’s Life Purpose
Paul’s supplication for the Philippian believers. Verses 1-11.
Paul’s explanation to the Philippian believers. Verses 12-30.
Paul’s supplication for the Philippian Believers.
I For ________ he prays: Phil. 1:1-2
II ________ he prays: Phil. 1:3
III _______ he prays: Phil. 1:4
IV _______ he prays: Phil. 1:5, 7-8
V _________ he prays: Phil. 1:6, 9-11
A) Two terms we need to understand:
B) “The day of the Lord”
1) 1 Thessalonians 5:2-4
2) This describes the rapture.
C) “the day of Christ Jesus”
1) 1 Corinthians 3:10-15
2) 2 Corinthians 5:10
3) Refers to the time when believers will be glorified, their salvation will be completed and they are made
D) Paul prays that they might all be filled with ______ (1:9),
E) Paul prays that they might all have the spirit of ________________ (1:10) and
F) Paul prays that they be filled with the fruits of ______________ (1:11). Galatians 5:22-23
G) Falling into sin usually happens in __________.
1) A believer merely tolerates something he knows is sinful, perhaps criticizing it but taking no strong stand
2) He accommodates it, a little at a time, each time becoming less concerned about its wickedness, until it ceases
to become an issue.
3) He attempts to legitimize it, by making excuses for it and defending it.
4) He begins to participate in it, embracing it as part of his normal lifestyle. Worldly values and standards
become so mixed with biblical ones that the difference is no longer noticed or cared about. (John MacArthur)
Paul’s explanation to the Philippian Believers
VI The ___________: Phil. 1:12-13
VII The ___________: Phil. 1:14-17
A) Concerning his _____________: Phil. 1:14, 16
B) Concerning his ________: Phil. 1:15, 17
VIII The ___________: Phil. 1:18
IX The _____________: Phil 1:19-26
A) Paul’s ___________ Phil. 1:19-23
1) Paul points out 5 aspects of his confidence:
(a) Confidence in the __________ of the saints- 19a
(b) Confidence in the _________of the Holy Spirit- 19b
(c) Confidence in the __________ of the Lord: 19c
(d) Confidence in the ___________ of Christ- 20a-
(e) Confidence in the ________ of God- 20b-21
B) Paul’s ____________: Phil. 1:24-26
X The ___________: Phil. 1:27-28
A) Paul tells the Philippians to remain:
B) ____________: 27a
1) Two questions to ask yourself about your conduct:
(a) Will it make others stumble?
(b) Will you be ashamed if Christ should return? 1 John 2:28
C) ______________: 27b
D) _____________: 28
XI The _____________: Phil. 1:29-30
A) Paul reminds the Philippians they have been granted two wonderful privileges:
B) To _____________ in Christ: Phil. 1:29a
C) to ____________ for Christ: Phil. 1:29b-30
“For me to live is _________________ and to die is _________________.”
For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. Philippians 1:21