LAB BIOLOGY NAME: ________________________
PERIOD: 1 2 3 4 5 6
CELLULAR RESPIRATION PRE-LAB
1) After reading pageS 8 & 36, titled 2) After reading page 37 titled “Reduction-Oxidation
“METABOLISM”, explain the meaning of Reactions”:
“metabolism”. Give several examples of how
energy is used in autotrophs and heterotrophs. Define “Reduction”:
Explain what occurs when energy is transferred during
chemical reactions in living cells.
3) Using pages 80 and 137, label the diagram
to the right using the following terms.
Describe the purpose or Outer membrane
advantage of having
4) After reading the information box on page 5) Using pages 131-133, xplain what “anaerobic
130, summarize how heterotrophs use the pathways” refers to regarding cellular respiration.
carbohydrates produced in photosynthesis.
6) After reading page 132, what is the raw 7) How many ATP’s are made in glycolysis, how many
material used in glycolysis and what what are used, and how many are gained for other
molecule results? purposes?
8) What percent of the total energy stored in 9) What two processes are included in aerobic
glucose is released and stored in ATP by the respiration and where do they occur?
process called glycolysis? =
By all processes (including aerobic) = _______________ _____________________
10) What is the role of oxygen in aerobic 11) Regarding cellular respiration, name
Raw materials (reactants) =
Waste products =
12) Write the balanced equation for cellular
respiration in the space below.
13) You will assemble a “respirometer” as shown
to the right. The test tube will contain a
cotton ball at the very end. You will place several
drops of a chemical (KOH) that will absorb CO2 as
it is produced by respiration. A second cotton ball
that is non absorbent cotton, will be placed in the
test tube to prevent the KOH from touching your
specimen. Your specimen will then be placed in the
respirometer. The rubber stopper with the
graduated pipette will then be placed in the test
tube. As oxygen is used by the specimen, the
volume of gas will decline in the test tube. Water
will then move into the pipette. You will be testing
the effect of temperature on oxygen consumption.
Write an If, then statement for your group.