Docstoc

Minutes of Marketing Committee meeting

Document Sample
Minutes of Marketing Committee meeting Powered By Docstoc
					Minutes of Marketing Committee meeting
20 February 2008

Members Present: R.D. Aikens, Medea Isphording Bern, Chair, Lee Bonds, Susan
Ruhne, Alina Zarr
Guests: John McNeill, Mike Ratiani, Grace Bautista, John Craig, Ben Yamanaka

SPECIAL REPORT FROM GRACE PRE-MEETING:
Grace Bautista from the KetchAll gave a general overview of the possibilities for adding
a retail component to the existing website that would enable members to purchase items
remotely. Cost is $750 for the new module, $75 per month for servicing. Management
will run the numbers to ensure cost effectiveness. If so, it will be up and running by mid-
April. Grace will advise approximate launch date so that Marketing may broadcast to
membership. Discussion included offering a ‘grand opening’ special sale, surveying
those who use to system to gauge satisfaction and request suggestions for improvement,
and sending targeted emails to those who have ordered when new merch comes in that,
based upon prior sales, may be of interest. Up to 50 items may be online at one time, and
updating inventory may occur in real-time. Module can include online gift certificates.
Consensus to support Grace in this endeavor. (see Q and A, appendix A)

ACTION ITEM: ANNOUNCE OPENING, WITH SALE IF SO
DECIDED
JOHN MCNEILL WILL WORK WITH GRACE AND NOEL TO PHOTOGRAPH
INVENTORY-SLATED TO BEGIN ON 3 MARCH
R.D. TO WORK WITH GRACE AND MANAGEMENT TO DETERMINE WHETER
WE CAN ESTABLISH A COST ‘CO-OP’ WITH VENDORS IN RETURN FOR
THEIR PRESENCE ON OUR SITE.
WHEN: MONTH OF MAY-REPORT AT NEXT MEETING

Meeting called to order at 18.15
Minutes of January meeting approved unanimously
Webcam: Mike Ratiani, special report
Two goals for the webcam: depicting races in real time and reflecting weather/boating
conditions outside the club.
With the same camera, we can change the feed to make the pictures stream, as would be
useful for races, or slow it down (thus reducing bandwidth) for weather/boating
conditions. Mike recommends a continual pano on the home page, and another looking
back toward the city to assist race in determining whether there is ample dock space for
visiting yachts. The camera(s) can also be set up to give instant reply for races. The cost
for this can be incorporated into the video surveillance budget for the club. Approximate
cost will be $2400 plus networking plus installation. Will be a multi-function camera, so
can be allocated among various budget ‘pots’-very efficient!
ACTION ITEM: MIKE WILL PREPARE FORMAL PROPOSAL IN THE NEXT
WEEK. MEDEA/KIMBALL WILL FOLLOW UP WITH FINANCE COMMITTEE
AND THE BOARD TO SECURE APPROVAL

GOAL: HAVE CAMERAS IN PLACE BY THE FIRST OF APRIL.
Recap of Action items from January meeting:
Ketchall-see above.
Committee Pages: Long discussion ensued concerning redesigning the website to
encourage greater and more efficient use. Now site seems to have too many layers.
Would make sense to have a current news segment and a history component to simplify
navigation. Thomas needs at least one other person to assist with the site. Needs include
actual uploading of photos and text as well as soliciting content from committee chairs.

ACTION ITEMS:
IDENTIFY PEOPLE TO HELP THOMAS WITH WEB.
ALL COMMITTEE MEMBERS TO HELP WITH THIS TASK, WHICH NEEDS TO
BE UNDERTAKEN IMMEDIATELY;
COMMITTEE CHAIRS TO BE SOLICITED FOR CONTENT INPUT. MEDEA TO
UNDERTAKE OVER THE NEXT MONTH;
ALL MEMBERS SHOULD SPEND SOME TIME ON THE WEBSITE AND
IDENTIFY SEGMENTS THAT SEEM TO WORK WELL, THOSE THAT ARE
CLUNKY OR NOT PARTICULARLY USEFUL AND WE WILL DEVOTE A
SIGNIFICANT PART OF THE NEXT MEETING TO WEB REVIEW. COMMITTEE
MEMBERS ARE ENCOURAGED TO SEND SUGGESTIONS, COPYING ALL
COMMITTEE MEMBERS, BETWEEN NOW AND OUR MARCH MEETING.

Photo Updates:
These are in progress. Susan has asked Matt Gregory for new photos of Fresh Crew
events. Medea has asked Joe and Katie Horn for family photos for the Tinsley portion of
the website.

ACTION ITEMS:
THIS IS AN ONGOING TASK THAT MAY BE WELL-DESIGNATED TO A WEB
SUBCOMMITTEE MEMBER, ONCE THAT GROUP IS IDENTIFIED.

‘Room at the Mark’: Debbie Lopker is ready to go in creating these pieces. Janet
Heineken met with Race (see below) and identify races that make sense to cover broadly.
These have been communicated to Debbie, and she will incorporate them into her
coverage plan. Susan will try to cover Thursday Kites also. We will use Rolex’s media
information for our Room at the Mark. Debbie should use Dana’s press release and work
closely with staff to get this printed so that it is in place when BBS begins.
Action Items:
CONVEY INFO TO DEBBIE RE: BBS VIA THESE MINUTES. LEE WILL WORK
WITH DEBBIE IN PREPARING RATMS.

Race Coverage:
Janet Heineken gave her report to Medea in advance of the meeting. Race suggests
coverage should focus on these regattas:
Collegiate Regatta, 5/6 April;
US Kite Board Nationals: 12/15 June;
Laser North Americans: 24/25 July;
18 Skiffs: 12/16 August;
J 105 North Americans: July/August;
BBS: 11/14 Oct-Rolex does external PR but we can handle our internal via RATM;
Finn Nationals: 17/19 Oct-maybe, maybe not;

Committee added the Big Sail between Cal and Stanford, which takes place in the fall.
John suggested we create a media matrix so we know what is happening when and so that
we can determine our level of internal and external marketing for each. We also need to
ensure that we have our press rooms covered.

Action Items:
CREATE MEDIA MATRIX; MEDEA TO WORK WITH PR CONTACT, VERIFY
ACCURACY WITH JOHN-TO BE READY BY MARCH MEETING;
SUPERVISION OF PRESS ROOMS FOR EACH RACE: R.D. TO HANDLE;
EXTERNAL MARKETING OF RACES: ALINA.

Media Contacts:
Alina has been working with the Junior sailing committee and tome Maritime Museum to
determine whether there might be some kids from their program who would like to
participate in ours. They invited Alina to visit their camps to talk to the kids-she will
work with Paul Heineken to achieve. Maritime Museum will publish our information
including race in its publications. Andy from Latitude 38 will also publish info about our
kids camps.
Alina presented an informative piece about the Gitata 13, which is just about to win an
important race that concludes shortly at the foundation of the GGB. (The captain is a
friend.) Channel 2, possibly channel 4 and Lat. 38 are all covering. Alina proposed
holding a no-host party for the team. (Team members would be comped of course) She
will handle publicity, internal and external. The committee enthusiastically supported the
idea of a party and several in attenance agreed that even if the club will not host the team
(approximately 9 members) we could find club members to ‘adopt’ a crew member to
pay for his/her meal and drinks.


ACTION ITEMS:
ALINA: STAY IN TOUCH WITH CREW TO ENSURE IT IS AVAILABLE TO
ATTEND A PARTY;
MEDEA; CLEAR THE IDEA WITH COMMODORE HORN, AND GO TO
COMMITTEE WITH ALTERNATIVE FUNDING SUGGESTIONS SHOULD HE
DECIDE AGAINST;
THOMAS/SUSAN: SEND EBLAST TO ALL MEMBERS ENCOURAGING THEM
TO COME AND SUPPORT THIS TEAM, USING ALINA’S BACKGROUND
MATERIAL SUPPLIED TO THE COMMITTEE AS INCENTIVE AND
ENCOURAGEMENT.
WHEN: RACE SUPPOSED TO CONCLUDE DURING THE WEEK OF 24 FEB.

Clean Regattas:
This initiative, sponsored by the non-profit Sailors for the Sea out of Boston, encourages
all regatta entrants and sponsors to adopt ‘clean regatta’ best practices. These may be
found on the SFTS website (www.sailorsforthesea.org) Participants fly the ‘clean
regattas’ flag and are listed as partners on the SFTS website. Very little action required
for a great deal of local, national and internationl goodwill and possible exposure in the
media and on the SFTS site. Currently, no NorCal yacht clubs participate, so we would
be the mavericks. Medea has vetted through required board channels. Committee
approves going forward.


Action item:
MEDEA TO WORK WITH DAN PINGARO, CLUB MEMBER, TO IMPLEMENT.
WHEN: BY APRIL MEETING.

New Business:
Susan reported on the Mainsheet theme line up for the next few months:
March: racing; April: opening day and club traditions, including House Flags;
May: youth sailing, trophy histories.

Committee agreed that Mainsheet under Susan’s direction looks fantastic. Susan is
implementing strict submission policies and deadlines-will be the 8th of the month going
forward, instead of the 10th. This will help ensure that members have the Mainsheet in
their homes by the first of the month and thus avoid a tardy Mainsheet that arrives after
an event taking place early in the month.

There are many ‘fun facts’ that have come from the Community Relations committee that
the members should know. Medea suggested that in lieu of running articles about these
we instead place ‘Did you know…” banners on various pages of each edition on which
these facts could appear. R.D. suggested a refinement, using number instead (i.e. ‘…25
million…number of dollars earned in San Francisco as a direct result of events held at the
St. Francis…) Susan will pursue.
Meeting adjourned at 19.35.

Appenxix A Answers To Your Queries…
Question: Will members of the St. Francis Yacht Club’s staff receive
an automatic email when a purchase has been made via the online
store?
Answer: Yes, we can set it up so that you will receive an email right
away whenever a purchase is made.


Question: When a member makes a purchase, how do the Club’s staff
members update that members’ account?
Answer: When your staff receives the email alerting them that a
purchase has been made, you look at the details of the order (these
details are listed in the email) and then you manually enter the
information into the POS (Point-Of-Sale) system to fulfill the order.
This is the easiest way to maintain inventory and properly charge the
member accounts.


Question: If a member orders multiple products—each of which have
their own shipping costs—will the member be charged the sum of those
shipping costs… or will it just be one shipping cost based on the items
in the shopping cart? (Example: John Doe orders a hat that has a $2.00
“ship by air” cost, AND he orders a box of golf balls that have a $2.00
“ship by air” cost as well… will Joe have to pay $4:00 for shipping, or
will the shopping cart ignore adding up the shipping costs per item?)
Answer: Each item is assigned separate shipping values when it’s
created… the TOTAL SHIPPING cost is the sum of these values for all
items ordered.


Question: When out of state people order a product online, and it’s
shipped to them, often times the product is tax exempt. Can the club’s
staff easily delete the taxes for out of state orders?
Answer: Since that is done when the staff inputs the order into the
POS, it is possible only if their POS supports it, which most do.


Question: Do customers receive auto email receipts after they make a
purchase?
Answer: Yes, they receive a receipt, and status updates when the item
is filled, and shipped.

				
DOCUMENT INFO
Shared By:
Categories:
Tags:
Stats:
views:9
posted:10/21/2011
language:English
pages:6