Eyewitness: Moth & Butterfly
1. The family name for butterflies, Lepidoptera, means “ ________ wing”
heart pretty scale thin
2. The atlas moth is as big as a:
house teacup dinner plate quarter
3. Ancient Egyptians believe you could escape death by:
running fast changing forms hiding flying ahead
4. Butterflies lay their eggs on:
animals plants water dead logs
5. Moths use __________________ to attract mates.
sounds nests colors pheremones
6. How do you tell the difference between a moth and a butterfly?
shape of antenna time of day they are active
coloration all of these
7. A caterpillar’s first meal is most likely:
its shell its mother other caterpillars flowers
8. One myth suggested that a woman who ate butterflies would:
become pregnant die find a husband smell good
9. Bright colors show that caterpillars are:
harmless very young poisonous about to change
10. Swallowtail caterpillars look like:
birds snakes bird droppings feathers
11. Woolybear caterpillars are thought to predict:
amount of rainfall the stock market severity of winter storms
12. Before a caterpillar can become a moth (or butterfly), it must:
enter a cocoon divide in half find a host migrate
13. Butterflies feed on:
dead things leaves mushrooms nectar
14. What does the vampire moth eat?
leaves bats blood flowers
15. Monarchs have the longest _______ of any insect.
antenna hibernation migration hair