1. Hello, we‟ve just joined twitter and we look forward to talking Indian fashion
with all of you. Check out our site at: http://apps.facebook.com/shopdesibazaar/
2. Let‟s kick things off with one of our favorite songs. It‟s an A.R. Rahman classic:
3. Who‟s that Indian actress lighting up US television screens? @sapnamagazine
introduces us to a fresh beauty: http://sapnamagazine.com/2010/janina-gavankar-
4. Lady Gaga said she may do a song for Shahrukh‟s new film, Ra One. Can‟t wait
to see what she comes up with.
5. Apparently there‟s a shortage of work available for male fashion models:
6. Times of India has posted their ten most anticipated films. Take a look and tell us
what‟s yours: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/videols/9234195.cms
7. Our hearts are with all of you who had friends or family near the Delhi bomb
blast. We‟re praying for you!
8. Amitabh Bachchan cast along-side Leonardo diCaprio in new film of The Great
Gatsby. Could be a huge role for him.
9. Celebrities go red for Ganesh Chathurthi:
10. Breaking news: it turns out men are the real shopaholics, according to new
11. Here‟s a great interview with Aziz Ansari, our favorite comedian with South
Indian roots: http://www.askmen.com/celebs/interview_300/382_aziz-ansari-
12. French fashion designer Isabel Marant is about to launch a fashion collection in
India. Here‟s what she has to say about it: http://www.vogue.in/content/french-
13. Check out Rahul Mishra‟s new Couture line, there‟s some really great stuff here:
14. Dharini Turakhia provides 5 beauty makeover ideas that are inexpensive and
15. Find our Jacqueline Fernandez‟s beauty secrets: http://www.vogue.in/content/star-
16. Vogue is running a contest between Chitraganda Singh and Neha Dhupia. Who do
YOU think is more stylish? http://www.vogue.in/content/fashion-face-
17. Check out Padma Lakshmi‟s daughter wearing a traditional pavada (so cute!):
18. Kal Penn, formerly our Desi man in the White House, is working on a new
comedy set at the UN (good luck, Kal!) http://www.deadline.com/2011/09/kal-
19. We‟ve found a great new blog highlighting Indians wearing vintage fashions:
20. Style icon Archie Panjabi is named the ambassador for the Pratham charity.
Beauty and kindness. Who isn‟t jealous?
21. Fashion tip of the day: either the top or the bottom should be tightly fitted, never
22. Sachin at the Diesel Fake Party fashion show! This is
23. Arjun Rampal, man of style: http://www.mensxp.com/fashion/style-guide/5694-
24. Here‟s a blog we love, all about the world of Indian fashion:
25. GQ has got great tips for men who need advice on choosing the right jacket and
26. Check out this video of last year‟s India Men of the Year. We can‟t wait for this
year‟s choices! http://www.gqindia.com/content/home-video
27. Great interview with Ritu Kumar, a pioneer of the Indian fashion industry:
28. Japanese elements are hot in Indian men‟s fashion, according to the Wills
Lifestyle India Fashion Week: http://www.thehindu.com/life-and-
29. Scandal as Paris Hilton denies that Kangna Ranaut is face of her Indian fashion
30. Sabyasachi Mukerjee is redesigning modern Indian clothing by taking inspiration
from heritage: http://www.businessreviewindia.in/lifestyle/celebrities/sabyasachi-
31. Check out Aishwarya Rai wearing one of Sabyasachi‟s amazing designs:
32. At last, men‟s fashion in India is catching up to women‟s:
33. The Hindustan Times asks, who‟s the future of fashion?
34. Fashion tip of the day: if you want a slimming effect, look for vertical stripes
rather than horizontal stripes.
35. W has released a great new “monsoon” collection:
36. The Times of India has a great piece about hairstyles that never go out of style:
37. Here are some new ways of wearing your saree:
38. Blouses are getting a sexy makeover: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/life-
39. Wanted: More designers for menswear:
40. Bandhgalas are dominating the runway during Van Heusen Mens Fashion Week:
41. Fashion tip of the day: you‟re better off having one bold accessory complemented
by smaller ones than hundreds of bold accessories.
42. Looking for a great fashion blog to follow? Here‟s one that we like:
43. There‟s going to be a one of a kind fashion show in Dubai, featuring designers
from India and the UAE: http://www.emirates247.com/lifestyle/fashion/21-uae-
44. Check out Alisha Chinoi‟s fabulous video for Made In India, which shows off
some really classic fashions: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPxGpqdUXc0
45. Classic music video of the day. Don‟t you wish we still dressed like this? Madhuri
rocks in Akhiyaan Milao: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlCWb8n1TNs
46. One of our favorite performances by the late, great Shammi Kapoor (look at those
70s fashions): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTgbq5vXJD8
47. It‟s confirmed, Paris Hilton will be coming to Mumbai to sell her new line of
48. Businesses like Pepsico and Nestle are hiring top fashion designers to connect
with fashion-conscious consumers:
49. Kareena Kapoor looks stunning in this red strapless gown:
50. What GQ learned from Men‟s Fashion Week:
51. Here‟s a neat comparison between Indian and Pakistani lehengas:
52. Fashion tip of the day: if you‟ve bought new shoes for a special event, make sure
and wear them in before the big day.
53. Mumbai is hosting a vintage car rally before kicking off the first Indian Grand
54. Kareena Kapoor‟s looking stunning in this Manish Malhotra design:
55. Get ready for Ritu Kumar‟s Bollywood debut. We can‟t wait to see her styles on
56. Check out the Pussycat Dolls, all wearing slightly non-traditional sarees:
57. Lady Gaga, Heidi Klum, Nicky Minaj and Katy Perry are all putting Indian
fashion designers on the map: http://www.thenational.ae/lifestyle/fashion/the-rise-
58. Fashion tip of the day: dull colors are out this season. If you have light skin, go
for bold dark colors, if you have dark skin, go for bright blues and purples.
59. Tarun Tahiliani turns to menswear and accuses it of being 50 years behind:
60. Looks like luxury brands such as Jimmy Choo and Hermes are having no problem
making sales in India: http://articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com/2011-09-
61. US cosmetics giant Avon pays tribute to the Indian Diva:
62. Uh oh! Elizabeth Hurley has a saree malfunction:
63. We‟re loving this fashion blog, and bet you will too:
64. Here‟s a great interview with Niharika Khan, who‟s created Freida Pinto‟s
fashions for the upcoming film Trishna:
65. Hrithik Roshan is looking pretty good in this retro flick:
66. For all you would-be filmmakers out there, the New York Film Academy is
launching a branch in India:
Questions for Engagement with Followers
1. It‟s getting close to Diwali. What‟s your favorite fall festival?
2. Married folks, tell us a little about how you found your perfect wedding outfit.
Was it through parents, through friends?
3. So, Paris Hilton is launching a new line especially for the Indian market. How do
you feel about this?
4. How do you feel about dupathas these days? Are they for fuddy-duddies, or are
they still trendy accessories?
5. Who‟s your style icons? Are there particular actresses, singers, models, or sports
stars you look to for fashion inspiration?
6. How do you feel about the latest trend in wearing big, chunky jewelry? Yay or
7. How many desi events to you typically attend every month? What are the
8. How do you dress your kids for formal occasions? Do you keep it traditional, or
9. What‟s your favorite outfit? Tweet us pictures of you in your Saturday night best.
10. What‟s your favorite comfort food? We‟re longing for a good bhel puri over here.
11. How do you feel about all the new remixes of classic Bollywood tunes? Love „em
or hate „em?
12. It‟s heading into winter already, can you believe it? What kind of coats do you
wear with your Indian clothes?
13. Do you still wear traditional sandals with your saris, or do you rock trendy heels?
14. What did you guys think of Freida Pinto in Rise of the Planet of the Apes?
15. What‟s your take on paisley patterns? Are there new fabric designs that are
catching your eye?
16. More Hollywood actors are heading to Bollywood to star in Hindi films. What
actors would you love to see in Bollywood films?
17. Who are your 5 favorite television stars? Is there anyone you find particularly
18. Are your friends honest about whether certain outfits look good on you? What are
the worst white lies you‟ve heard?
19. What would your ideal wedding be like, if you had infinite funds? Would there be
20. What do you think of Sabah Khan‟s new styles from Lakme Fashion Week?
21. Who‟s your favorite fashion designer and why?
22. Do men or women have it easier when choosing what to wear for Desi events?
23. What do you want to see more of on our site? Clothes, accessories or shoes?
24. What colors do you think look best on you? Is that based on preference or on skin
25. What does fashion mean for you? Is it about utility, about looking good, or about
expressing your personality?
26. How do you drape your saree? Do you use the traditional wrap, or do you have
your own style?
27. Do you think Bollywood films are cheesy or cool? What would your ideal
Bollywood film look like?
28. Have you been paying attention to the cricket? What do you think of India‟s
29. Evergreen: who‟s your favorite playback singer of yesteryear? Lata or Asha, Rafi
30. Do you have access to good Indian food where you are? What‟s your favorite
31. Do you prefer to wear Western or Indian clothes as daily wear?
32. What‟s your favorite A.R. Rahman tune? Do you prefer his songs in Tamil or in
33. What do you think of VJ Balhara‟s new styles from Lakme Fashion Week?
34. Do you prefer the original version of Jai Ho or the version by the Pussycat Dolls?
35. What‟s your style? Do you prefer to be conservative, or do you like to be a
36. What‟s your favorite Amitabh Bachchan role?
37. What‟s your favorite Bollywood dance sequence? Which song and which movie?
38. They‟re making another movie about Gandhi-ji. Who would you like to see a film
39. Who are the top fashion designers in your city? Are there any brands you
40. Aishwarya has hot new sponsorship deals with cosmetics companies in the US
and UK. What actors/actresses would you like to see over here?
41. Looks like Bodyguard is a flop. Do you think Salman Khan still has a career, or is
it mostly in the past?
42. Who are your parents‟ favorite Bollywood stars from yesteryear?
43. Mumbai is ranked 28th among fashion hotspots! What do you think, is that too
high or too low?
44. Looks like Manish Malhotra‟s the big winner at Fashion Week. What‟s your
favorite design of his?
45. Diwali‟s coming up? What‟s your favorite Diwali tradition?
46. What‟s your favorite Indian sweet? We go crazy for some ladoo.
47. Now that saree rental has become all the rage in the US, would you use it? Or do
you still prefer to own your sarees?
48. Who‟d win in a fashion contest between Kareena Kapoor and Rani Mukherjee?
49. What makes a woman look more attractive: sarees, lehengas or salwar kameez?
50. Do you prefer your men in Western-style suits or in Shervanis?
51. What‟s your favorite gemstone? Is it your birthstone?
52. What kind of jewelry do you prefer to wear at parties? Diamonds or gold?
53. What do you all think of half-sarees? Is it a handy trick or do you think it‟s just
54. Women, how old were you when you wore your first saree? Men, how about your
first shervani or jodhpuri?
55. What‟s your favorite of these International Jewelry Week pieces?
56. So do you guys prefer twitter, facebook or google plus? We‟re partial to facebook
57. So how many weddings have you attended this season? What were your favorite
58. What did you wear for your wedding reception, a saree or something else? What
color was your outfit?
59. What do you think of these zipper saris?
60. Did you travel anywhere during the summer? Do you have any plans for the rest
of the year?
61. Have you seen Enthiran? Did you prefer the original version with Rajnikanth or
the remake with Shahrukh?
62. How many fashion events do you have coming up? What are you planning to
63. Do you and your parents like the same Hindi films? What unites you and what
64. Ladies, do you like wearing your hair up or down for formal events?
65. Where do you go if you have a fashion emergency? Do you borrow from friends
or do you buy something urgently?
1. Looking for hot new Desi fashions? Check out our new facebook app, where you
can buy directly from top retailers: http://apps.facebook.com/shopdesibazaar/
2. Vastra has announced 50% off on silk shawls! Check them out here:
3. Check out the latest looks in evening wear from our partner Kaneesha:
4. Let‟s not forget the men. These kurta suits look pretty stylish:
5. For a limited time, you can get $10 off any purchase at desibazaar:
6. Everything at American Bombay Fashions is 50% off! Check it out while there‟s
still time (some beautiful jewelry there):
7. Tired of paying exorbitant prices for new party saris? You can rent them from
Sari Closet or Borrow it Bindaas!: http://apps.facebook.com/shopdesibazaar/
8. Dying to give your home a classy makeover? Check out our new antiques line,
from Mogul Interior: http://apps.facebook.com/shopdesibazaar/
9. If you‟re looking for gold jewellery, Shahji is probably your best bet. High
quality, free shipping: http://apps.facebook.com/shopdesibazaar/
10. Duel N‟ Jewel have got some great deals on bangles and accessories. Go take a
11. Sara‟s got all the latest in fusion trends. If you‟ve got a big party coming up, this
is the place to look: http://apps.facebook.com/shopdesibazaar/
12. Need help from your friends in choosing a new outfit? Our app lets friends and
family weigh in on outfit choices: http://apps.facebook.com/shopdesibazaar/
13. Malani Jeweller‟s have released a sneak preview of their 2011 calendar. Check it
out here: http://apps.facebook.com/shopdesibazaar/
14. Check out these stunning new arrivals at Malani Jewellers:
15. If you‟re planning to get married anytime soon, you can‟t beat these rings
(absolutely gorgeous!): http://apps.facebook.com/shopdesibazaar/
16. Chunky bracelets are a hot accessory for men this year. Check out a few beautiful
ones at Malani Jewellers: http://apps.facebook.com/shopdesibazaar/
17. Malani Jeweller‟s is having a Labor Day celebration sale. Check it out before it‟s
18. Sari Closet has a new sari that‟s absolutely stunning:
19. This sari looks wonderful, the perfect choice for any skin tone:
20. If you‟re looking for the perfect home accent, this carved door panel may be just
the thing: http://apps.facebook.com/shopdesibazaar/
21. Check out these stunning bedspreads, fit for Kings and Queens:
22. Get Shakira‟s look with these beautiful belly dance belts:
23. Wow, MySolitaire‟s new collection of diamond rings are absolutely beautiful
(and unusual!): http://apps.facebook.com/shopdesibazaar/
24. You can really make a statement with these black diamonds:
25. Kaneesha‟s having a sale. Some of their most beautiful saris are 20% off:
26. Looking for a more casual look? Check out these tunic-style kurtis:
27. We love these shell earrings, and bet you will too:
28. CBazaar is having a sale for Navaratri. Tons of unique and trendy styles:
29. Looking for formal clothes for the kids? CBazaar has a great collection:
30. You can design your own Bollywood sarees at CBazaar:
31. We‟re loving how all the unusual blues that are coming out this season:
32. Duel On Jewel is having a huge sale, with loads of gifts under $15:
33. Have a dance recital coming up? You can get the perfect anklets here:
34. Duel on Jewel has some great tips for how to accessorize:
35. This pearl necklace set at Duel On Jewel is gorgeous:
36. Dress Republic is offering free shipping on online purchases:
37. Fantastic new styles at Dress Republic, very modern and stylish:
38. Dress Republic has a great salwar kameez that combines 20s flapper style with
traditional Indian fashion: http://apps.facebook.com/shopdesibazaar/
39. Dress Republic has an outfit fit for queen. Perfect for the next formal occasion:
40. Treat yourself like the treasure you are with Dress Republic‟s dress made of pure
golden raw silk: http://apps.facebook.com/shopdesibazaar/
41. Not sure what‟s more alluring in the Dress Republic menswear line, the men or
the clothes: http://apps.facebook.com/shopdesibazaar/
42. This man and this outfit could only have been Made in India (and Dress
43. Dress Republic has a number of casual outfits that are perfect for outdoor parties:
44. Amrita Singh is having a site-wide 50% sale. Get over there for some beautiful
45. Make a splash at any party with a beautiful Amagansett necklace from Amrita
46. Need a gift for a friend who loves jewelry? There are some great choices at
Amrita Singh: http://apps.facebook.com/shopdesibazaar/
47. Need a ring for a loved one on a special occasion? Check out these unusual pieces
at Amrita Singh: http://apps.facebook.com/shopdesibazaar/
48. Amrita Singh has headbands that will add a neat accent to any hairstyle:
49. Sareez.com is having a great sale, with free shipping on many items:
50. Some of the new arrivals at Sareez are absolutely gorgeous. Perfect for any
51. If you‟re looking for elegant sarees but don‟t want to break the bank, check out
52. Using our new facebook app, you can find items to fit any budget:
53. Grandma won‟t let you buy your wedding outfit without weighing in? You can
both look together using our new facebook app:
54. Finding it hard to find suitable Indian clothes in your city? Check out our new
facebook app: http://apps.facebook.com/shopdesibazaar/
55. Shahji is offering free shipping on their hot jewelry:
56. There are some great deals on traditional gold jewelry at Shahji:
57. There‟s never been a better time to invest in gold. Shahji has some great deals:
58. Buying clothes is always more fun with friends. Our new app lets you shop
together even when you‟re in different cities:
59. Anarkalis look beautiful on any woman. Check out some gorgeous models here:
60. Tired of the same old wraparound sarees? Try new versions with less fabric:
61. Western stars are wearing churidhars now! Make a fashion statement with new
ones for yourself: http://apps.facebook.com/shopdesibazaar/
62. Come check out new deals at Sagar Exclusive. Gorgeous clothes and accessories:
63. You can never have too many purses. Check out gorgeous new ones at Sagar:
64. Men looking for jodhpuris need look no further than Sagar Exclusive:
65. If you like Manish Malhotra, you‟re gonna love the unique designs featured at
66. You can dazzle the world like Kareena Kapoor with jewelry from Shahji:
67. Diwali‟s getting close! Make sure and find something stylish to wear. We have
some great deals at the moment: http://apps.facebook.com/shopdesibazaar/
68. Come on over! Sareez has a great feature on how to tie your saree:
69. CBazaar has Indian clothes for all occasions. Check them out here: