What schools are active members of the Jefferson County
What is Tech Prep? Tech Prep Consortium?
Tech Prep is a career and technical education grant funded program that
includes a combination of two years of secondary education and two years of
Crystal City High School Grandview High School Jefferson High School
postsecondary education in a sequential course of study. The mission of Tech
Prep is to support and promote quality career and technical secondary and De Soto Senior High School Herculaneum High School Kingston Senior High School
post secondary education that links educators, employers, and the community. Festus Senior High School Hillsboro Senior High School Northwest High School
Fox Senior High School Jefferson College Area Technical School Seckman Senior High School
Tech Prep programs of study lead to an associate degree, or to a
postsecondary certificate, in a specific career field. Through a written Windsor High School
articulation agreement (a commitment between the high school and college), a
student may receive credit for mastery of college competencies taught at their
Tech Prep also provides in-service training for teachers, counselors, and
administrators. Area school districts participate in workshops, meetings, camps,
“Tech Prep is an exciting program
What Tech Prep classes may be offered
and conferences that encourage high skill attainment in both academic and
that builds better links between
technical areas, and the utilization of technology in the classroom.
high school and college education.
through Jefferson College?
Using the resources of business
and industry to reshape academic
and technical education, Tech Prep
students are better prepared to
What type of credit is offered in the High Schools? 1. BUS107 Bookkeeping
meet the challenges of a globalized,
There are two types of classes at your high school that may be counted for
2. BUS101 Introduction to Business
Dr. Raymond Cummiskey both high school credit and college credit: Dual Credit and Tech Prep. Dual
President, Jefferson College Credit classes cost you money, you are enrolled as a non-degree seeking
high school student at Jefferson College and grades appear on your college 3. BIT100 Keyboarding I Skillbuil
transcript. These credits are awarded immediately upon finishing the class and
4. BIT102 Operating System Applica
are applicable toward some degree programs at Jefferson College or any
other college depending on that school’s transfer credit rules.
Tech Prep classes are free and your credit, not grade, is placed upon your 5. BIT110 Keyboarding II Speedbuil
college transcript only after you enroll as an Associate of Applied Science
(AAS) or certificate seeking student at Jefferson College within 24 months of 6. BIT138 Word Processing Applica
graduation. Your credit applies toward over 20 Career Education programs
like Accounting Technology, Automotive Technology, Business Management,
Computer Information Systems, Culinary Arts, Early Childhood Education,
7. MGT150 Marketing
8. CIS 133 Microcomputer Software
Business Information Technology, Heating, Refrigeration, and Air Conditioning,
and many more. Courses may be taken any time.
Jefferson College Tech Prep is strictly a Career and Technical Education
program. Therefore, students must enroll in a CTE program at Jefferson
What Tech Prep c
College in order for credit to be awarded. We do not award credit for courses
taken at the high school until students are admitted and enrolled in classes at
es my high schoo
the college level.
do rep classes.
To find out
Tech P lor or
ffer multiple your counse
Most hig h schools o ers, ple ase talk to
What is the difference between Tech Prep classes
“Tech Prep links business and computer courses
offered to high school students with career and hat your hig
h school off
w p webpage cation
technical education degree and certificate
visit the Tech Pre chnical Edu
programs at the college level. We streamline the and the Area Technical School? u and click
C areer and Te
sses. Your h
path from high school to college. Through the w.jeffco.ed , and Art iculated Cla at explain
http://ww n Tech Prep athways th
e menu, the
articulation of career and technical courses,
ed career p
students are able to start their post-secondary on th l be provid will shorten
training and prepare for exciting, high-paying school co unselor wil e in high school that rtificate in
• Tech Prep courses are taken at the high schools and taught by high school
you can tak egree or ce
careers while they are still in high school.”
teachers. w hat classes te yo ur college d
s to comple
time it take
Mrs. Sarah Bright er areas.
Director of Tech Prep, Jefferson College
• Area Technical School courses are taken on the Jefferson College campus specific care
and are taught by college faculty.
What steps should you take to receive
What are Jefferson College’s Career and Technical
your Tech Prep college hours?
Education programs of study? • You must meet and maintain the admission standards and
program prerequisites as established by Jefferson College and
Students can use Tech Prep articulated credit toward... stated in the Jefferson College Catalog.
• You must have a grade of B (80%) or better, have mastered
at least 80% of the College course competencies, and be
recommended for credit by your high school teacher in the
1. Accounting Technology 12. Computer Information Systems articulation database program.
- Graphics and Web Development
2. Automotive Technology • You must notify Admissions, your advisor, or the College
Registrar of your articulated credit at the time you apply for
13. Computer Integrated
3. Business Information Technology admission to Jefferson College. You must enroll no later than 2
Manufacturing years after high school graduation.
- Administrative Professional
14. Criminal Justice • You must declare a career and technical education major and
4. Business Information Technology file a degree plan in a related AAS Degree or Certificate.
- Administrative Support Specialist 15. Culinary Arts • When you have been admitted to Jefferson College and into
your AAS or career education certificate program, credit
5. Business Information Technology 16. Electronics, Robotics, and obtained by articulation will be recorded on your transcript as
"CR" which equates to a class taken for credit. No letter grade is
- Legal Professional Automation awarded and there is no effect on GPA calculations.
6. Business Information Technology 17. Emergency Medical Technology
- Medical Professional
18. Fire Science
How do you get the college credit?
7. Business Information Technology
19. Heating, Refrigeration, and
- Microcomputer Specialist While you are at Jefferson College enrolling for the first
Air Conditioning semester as an AAS (Associate of Applied Science) or
certificate student, tell the College Registrar or your College
8. Business Management
20. Law Enforcement Academy advisor that you have Tech Prep credit. The Registrar will review
your records and transfer applicable credit to your Jefferson
9. Certified Nursing Assistant College transcript. You may also log into CATEMA, the online
21. Nursing Tech Prep articulation system, at www.catema.net/jeffco, and
10. Childcare and Early Childhood select, “View Enrollment Records” to see your pending or
22. Residential Wiring awarded credits.
23. Veterinary Technology
11. Computer Information Systems
- Computer Support 24. Welding workpl
t ional hea
lt h care pro
2. Oc cupationa
l therapy preparation
al the rapy logy bl e
atory ther apy 4. Radio
Does it cost anything to get the credit?
No, there are no fees whatsoever with Tech Prep college credit. This
preparation for the listed career
rep provides tec
program is funded through the Federal Government’s Carl Perkins Act.
What makes the Tech Prep program worthwhile? Agriculture, Food and Natura
• FREE college credits Architecture and
• Reduction in time it takes to complete an Associate of Applied Arts, A/V Technology, and
Business, Management, and A
• Opportunity to explore college and career options – a focus on ining
your future Education and Tra
• Smoother transition to College Finance
Government and Pu
How do I receive my credits? Health Science
During High School
Hospitality and Tou
• Enter yourself into CATEMA, the online college credit system
(with the help of your teacher)
• Complete the high school articulated course with a grade of “B” or Security
Law, Public Safe ty, Corrections, and
Marketing, Sales, a
After High School
, Engineering, and M
• Enroll at Jefferson College in an AAS degree or CTE certificate
Transporta tion, Distribution, a
• Inform the Registrar or your College Advisor that you took a Tech
Prep or articulated business or computer course in High School.