What To Look For in a Freelance Blogger
A freelance blogger can pay dividends by bringing website traffic.
Blogging has proven to be an excellent way to drive traffic to your company website. Rather than a static list of products and services, a regularly updated blog makes your website a place to visit frequently.
Qualities of a Good Freelance Blogger
While attributes of a freelance blogger vary from one type of blog to another, there are some qualities great bloggers share. Examples of what to look for in a blogger include:
- Attention to Detail: A blogger should be able to edit himself with little supervision.
- Knowledge of Your Industry: A blogger specializing in computers isn’t necessarily the best choice for a company selling beauty products.
- Variety of Clips: Whether it’s their own personal blog or professional clips, a top-notch freelance blogger has already done a lot of writing.
- Self-Directed: Freelance bloggers work off-site, meaning you aren’t there to supervise their work. A good freelance blogger knows how to be his own boss.
- Research Skills: Knowing how to do good research is perhaps more important than being able to write.
- Ability to Write in Your Style: Perhaps you want a blog with lots of flair and “personality.” Or maybe you want one that’s more restrained and understated. Either way, your freelance blogger should be able to write in the style you’re looking for.
- Finger on the Pulse: Unless you want to spend lots of time coming up with topics for the blog, you need a blogger who can do it for you. Such a person must be keyed into the trends of your industry.
- Timeliness: Deadlines are important, even in the digital era. If you want a blog going live at 11 a.m. every day, getting a timely blogger is important.
- Good References: Getting references from a freelancer isn’t common, but it’s not bad practice. Freelance bloggers’ clients will usually be happy to tell you just how good of a job their blogger does.
Advantages of Hiring Freelance
You might ask yourself why you’d want to hire a freelancer in the first place. Why not just hire a standard employee? Some of the advantages of hiring a freelancer include:
- No Capital Expenditure: You don’t have to pay for a new computer. The freelancer uses his own.
- No Payroll Tax: You won’t have to pay payroll tax for your freelancer.
- No Benefits: You don’t have to pay any of your employees benefits, but you also don’t have to justify not paying benefits to a single employee if you hire freelance. Freelancers are in charge of their own benefits.
- No Training: While a learning curve is involved, freelance writers are ready to hit the ground running on day one.
- Easier Budgeting: A freelance blogger, unlike an employee, gets paid for what they accomplish. Budget what you can for a specific project. Don’t worry about paying by the hour.
Freelance Bloggers Can Build Your Business
A freelance blogger builds your business by making your website a place to visit regularly. The small amount of money you pay for their words is well worth it in terms of driving traffic to your site. It's not uncommon to ask applicants to write a sample blog post on the topic of your choosing—doing this will give you an idea of whether or not they'd be the right fit.